ROM Hack Can Xdelta patch iso's?

DocLouis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so im trying to patch Star Fox Adventures Iso with xdelatui but its not letting me choose the output folder. can xdelta actually patch iso?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes but you may not want to -- xdelta will only see differences so unless you are using a decrypted iso (which also means all your users will need a decrypted iso in the exact same manner).

For the wii, assuming they did not go from some kind of WBFS format ISO (bad form if you ask me) or in game loader (see Smash Brothers exploit related stuff for an example, there were a few others) then for the most part you would have to extract the files that need patching, patch those however you will, and rebuilt the iso into whatever format you like.

Reactions: Alexander1970

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
same error
An error has occurred: xdelta3: source file too short: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
then as @godreborn said it looks like a checksum error but I'm not sure.
Are you using a clean ISO file of the GCN game?
is the original game file ISO not corrupted? (try loading and playing it for a while using Dolphin Emulator)

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
im using an nkit.iso
i've run it through nintendont for a while
ISOS that are compressed with NKit are not supported by patches made with xdelta.
These patches are made with clean (and uncompressed) vanilla ISOs.
You need to convert your .nkit.iso file back to vanilla GCN .iso using NKit tool by @nanook.
Try using this version that i've made for include all database files (but not the backup partitions for not to make too much size):
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/nkit-tool-v1-4-with-all-latest-dat-files-by-saulfabreg-zip.288667/

Hope this help ;)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may be able to recompress it after you've patched the iso, but I dunno. it's worth a try anyway. if it doesn't work, just use the uncompressed iso. I think cube games iirc are only 1.35GBs if they're not trimmed, so they're not too big to begin with.

DocLouis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ISOS that are compressed with NKit are not supported by patches made with xdelta.
These patches are made with clean (and uncompressed) vanilla ISOs.
You need to convert your .nkit.iso file back to vanilla GCN .iso using NKit tool by @nanook.
Try using this version that i've made for include all database files (but not the backup partitions for not to make too much size):
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/nkit-tool-v1-4-with-all-latest-dat-files-by-saulfabreg-zip.288667/

Hope this help ;)
it worked. thanks for the help.
to anyone else that finds this I converted my nkit.iso to an iso using the tool that @nanook made and that worked. also if patch it twice (which I accidentally did) nintendont will crash if it's on screen

Last edited by DocLouis,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
it worked. thanks for the help.
to anyone else that finds this I converted my nkit.iso to an iso using the tool that SaulFabre made and that worked
an aclaration...
i didn't made the tool of NKit, @nanook is the author of that.
I just included the latest database .dat files from Redump.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming the xdelta patch is a find+replace by byte sort of thing, which is actually how modified firmware works on the ps3. what's odd is that it even allowed you to patch it twice, because the checksum should've changed after a successful patch unless you were patching the same base iso, then something got messed up when it tried replacing the modified iso. that's probably what happened.

Reactions: SaulFabre

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gfuel.com/products/goth-gf-collectors-box?utm_source=Klaviyo_campaign&utm_medium=email&ut...