Emulation Can this new R4i gold card play gba games?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered this:

http://www.r4ibuy.com/products/NEW-R4i-Gol...7%7DDSi-XL.html

In the list of features it says - No need to flash. Built-in launch Slot-2 (gba) function. But I'm not sure what this means. I'm new to the whole flashcard thing. Can it play gba games or did I just waste my money? Should I have gotten a supercard dstwo instead? Can someone help me out?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
My understanding of ....
QUOTE said:
Built-in launch Slot-2 (gba) function
(Here's a screenshot of a R4 theme to use as an example)
1logo.jpg

2icons.jpg

Notice on the bottom screen the 3 icons 'Games','Media' and 'Slot-2'

By selecting 'Games' - you are able to run any games you have stored on the R4 card
By selecting 'Media' - this will start up another program (Usually 'Moonshell') that will allow you to play music, movies or view pictures
By selecting 'Slot-2' - your R4 card will start up whatever card is inserted into the Slot-2 (I assume you have either a DSLite or DSPhat) whether it's another flashcard (holding GBA ROMS) OR a GBA commercial game

IF you have a DSi/DSi XL - then this 3rd icon is totally useless - the only way you can play GBA games on one of those consoles is with the DSTwo card

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks. Now I have question about the supercard dstwo. Will it be able to run emulators besides gba and snes? Kinda like how the R4 can run nes, genesis and gamegear emulators. Can the supercard dstwo also do that?

Also what kind of slot 2 flashcard do I need to run gba roms on my ds lite?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Technically the answer is 'Most will work' BUT..... (there's always a but..') the current emulators available will NOT use the DSTwo extra Ram/CPU, just the usual DS Ram/CPU (unlike DSTwo GBA Emulator which DOES use the extra memory/CPU), so you will still have the same problems with the emulators that other flashcards have
(Hopefully this will change once the DSTwo 'Software Development Kit' is released)

If you look @ the DSTwo Plugin list - you'll see a lot of emulators in the list - & on the end of each entry you'll see [DSL/DSi]

If the text is Black - it hasn't been tested yet
If it is in Blue - It's been tested on that system & works
It it is in Red - It's been tested on that system but DIDN'T work
(note however that most of the red 'DSi' were tested on an older Supercard firmware - I should know as I did most of them, but not got round to retrying yet - & may now work on the newer firmware since the Homebrew compatibility has greatly improved since then )

Incidentally - 'DSL' means DSlite or DSPhat systems, 'DSi' means DSi or DSi XL systems

One thing to note though, Do not use 'NesDS' on a 'DSiXL'
There has been reports that using this emulator on a DSiXL can damage your screen(s) display -
Exactly HOW it does it no-one really knows, but it's been suggested it could have something to do with NesDS screen refresh rates & how the DSiXL has a 'fixed rate'

Sorry for the long post - but I hope it helps

EDIT: oopss sorry read the bit about the Slot-2 question.... IIRC I think the 3-in-1 is a good bet (I've never had a slot-2 so can't recommend any), but I suggest you search GBATemp to see if there's any better suggestions

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much. Now I wish I had gotten the supercard dstwo instead. I should have done more research before rushing to buy that R4i gold card.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys can someone tell me a store that sells the supercard dstwo that ships from the united states? The pre-paid credit card that I have won't let me order things from countries besides the united states.

dan80315

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another fine alternative if you can't purcahse a DSTWO is purchasing an AK2i or AK2.1. They're both really cheap too (around 11-15$ US).

I can't ever understand why someone would purchase an R4... EVER. The original official team is not around anymore than the R4i is just a clone cart made by people who just want a quick buck.

AK2i, DSTWO, CycloDS and M3iZero are by far the best ones at the moment.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dan80315 said:
Another fine alternative if you can't purcahse a DSTWO is purchasing an AK2i or AK2.1. They're both really cheap too (around 11-15$ US).

I can't ever understand why someone would purchase an R4... EVER. The original official team is not around anymore than the R4i is just a clone cart made by people who just want a quick buck.

AK2i, DSTWO, CycloDS and M3iZero are by far the best ones at the moment.
He wants DSTWO for GBA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol