Can there be a permanent exploit?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by LucaSmash, May 4, 2016.

1. LucaSmash
    OP

LucaSmash GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2014
    United States
    I'm not quite sure if the new exploit is kernel or IOSU, but will there be a way to hack the Wii U similar to the Wii, installing Homebrew channel directly on it and such? And getting system modifications? Or is that not possible with the current exploit / with Wii U as a whole?

2. Intronaut

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Maybe, but not now. Take the 3ds as example. Now we can hack the 3ds permanently, but a lot of time and effort was necesary to achieve that. Now consider Wii U security is stronger than 3ds security

zeldaism and Tomato Hentai like this.
  3. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    Sure it's possible.
    Smea did it btw.

(The new exploit is a kernel exploit but iosu is needed)

zeldaism and CatmanFan like this.
  4. LucaSmash
    OP

Jul 29, 2014
    United States
    I thought so, so that's awesome! That means we have total access, right? Running the whole web browser -> kernel exploit -> web browser -> whatever you want to launch is pretty annoying to do. Why is the exploit so temporary? It'd be cool to be able to like stop system updates and tweak things. And also to launch homebrew / loadiine / sdcafiine easier.

CatmanFan and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  5. Net-KILLER

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    The exploit is temporary because it's started through the browser and is not installed.
    As example the 3ds:
    You use browserhax as entry point and install menuhax. If you use menuhax the exploit is loaded when the 3ds trys to load your theme on booting.
    For the WiiU there is nothing like menuhax public so you only have the the temporary access.

Kernel access doesn't mean total access but you can do a lot of stuff.
    Load games from SD, you can install updates to you internal memory, modify things in RAM and so on.
    But you don't have USB access and emunand. Iosu access is needed for the real cool stuff.
    But I'm happy with the kernel access

Last edited by Net-KILLER, May 4, 2016
  6. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Our best bet is an emunand or a rednand, considering it can be updated and maintain the same exploits, much like the 3ds. That would also allow also to use the tubehax dns on sysnand and be completely fine on emunand. Not to mention usb loading.

7. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    Technically, no, not without some way to get software accepted as signed, as happened with the Wii. A boot-time exploit accomplishing effectively the same thing, like arm9loaderhax, is possible though. Hykem was looking into one possibility for it before he vanished, and Smea demoed a different one he found.

8. LucaSmash
    OP

Jul 29, 2014
    United States
    Oooooh so IOSU is more powerful than Kernel?? I didn't know this. I want USB loading SO BAD! It's just not the same having the games on SD, and it's a lot slower than USB would be I feel.

zeldaism likes this.
  9. Net-KILLER

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    On the paper SD cards are faster than USB 2 devices but idk how fast the connection of the wiiu SD card reader is

10. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    We need something more than IOSU in a way, we need to get an exploit that is triggered by just turning on the console. We happened to get lucky, that exists on the Wii U.

11. CatmanFan

CatmanFan I can't believe I'm using my PS3 again.

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    W H Y
    Sorry for bumping, but if there was a permanent Wii U mode exploit like the Homebrew Channel on the Wii, I'd be thrilled to hear about it. Believe me, there's not as much Wii U homebrew as there is 3DS or Wii homebrew. You can install WADs and CIAs, but not anything related on Wii U without vWii. And the emulator for Wii U community is literally scarce as there has been only a few Game Boy emulators.

12. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    IOSU exploit IS full access to the OS. There is nothing "more". Once it gets released it would most likely occur at boot time.

13. CatmanFan

CatmanFan I can't believe I'm using my PS3 again.

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    W H Y
    Too bad Hykem has got it in his hands. In the case of RedNAND on Wii U, smea hasn't released it yet. I'm kinda looking forward to when I can finally install channels on my Wii U like I do with WADs on Wii or CIAs with 3DS.

14. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    The point is, you will need to have something in the boot procedure that is exploitable. There were times on the 3DS without kernel but with autoboot and vice-versa for example.

zeldaism and Kafluke like this.
  15. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    CatmanFan likes this.