Can the university track rapidshare?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by da_head, Jan 13, 2009.

Jan 13, 2009
  1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    yeah i was caught before for downloading gurren lagann off bittorrent lmao. can they track what i'm dling from rapidshare or things like that?

2. Rowan

Member Rowan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    its kinda obvious that they can.
    as it is a direct download it will be logged.
    just get a laptop (if your rich enough) so they wont log you

3. da_head
    OP

Canada
    i have a laptop

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
  5. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    A good ResNet should be able to see all incoming connections to what ever port to what ever specific IP address is handed out to you. They also log bandwidth usage. Bittorrent is a really easy one to catch because if you're downloading something popular, you'll have hundreds of connections directed at your computer that's on top of the bandwidth spike when it's running. Something like RapidShare would be harder to tell because it's running over port 80, it's low bandwidth and it can be a legitimate file.

It shouldn't matter if you have a laptop or not. If you have a laptop, most university require some sort of login.

When people get dinged for bittorrent, it's usually for bandwidth usage not what files they are downloading. You'll get in trouble for specific files if they are being monitored by third parties that inform the university i.e. mp3 or movies.

6. da_head
    OP

Canada
    would it help if the rapidshare file name doesn't make sense? (random letters and numbers)

7. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    Well, that, in fact, may be even more obvious and raise more suspicions that a filename that makes sense. I mean, if I was the one in charge of monitoring what files are downloaded and by whom, and I saw someone downloading "ashifajnbjgm.zip", 300MB, it'll be the first file I'll try to track down. Either because it's a potential threat, or because of its size due to bandwith issues.

8. da_head
    OP

Canada
    goddamnit >.> ok i guess i'll just wait till i get home then

9. Acheron

Newcomer Acheron Member

Australia
    lol i used to go nuts with Rapidshare at my Uni, one of my classmates had an account we all shared. the IT department would have definitely known about it but i guess because of the course i was doing (multimedia) we had special treatment with bandwidth usage & they never cared [​IMG]

10. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Why not just use someone's wireless that's near you?

11. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    just call it "familyvacationvideos.zip"

12. da_head
    OP

Canada
    u can rename files ur dling? o.O

13. m-p{3}

Member m-p{3} GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    He's not uploading, he's downloading.

If you want to protect yourself (don't consider this a bulletproof protection), use a shell account (SSH) and tunnel the BitTorrent or Web browser connection through it. Everything between you and the SSH server will be encrypted. The only thing the uni will see is a single connection to the SSH server.

Some SSHs erver are free, some are not. I got an account on a fee-based server, and the speed is decent.

14. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You could set up a remote desktop / VNC service on your parents computer back at home, and download files over bittorrent with their computer. Then you can just go home on the weekend and collect your spoils, or if they live far away, remotely send it to yourself using a large file transfer service, etc.

15. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    This.

16. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    That depends on your university. Some have limits to how much shit you can download per month/week/etc. If you go over that limit, they'll block yor connection and possibly fine you. They don't give a shit about what you downloaded that went over the limit though. A university only cares about what you downloaded if they receive a notice from the RIAA or other media industry that you've been downloading/uploading illegal crap. And they can't catch you unless you're really stupid. So just be smart about what you download and especially where you download it from. Torrents are a big no-no so don't ever use them in college. As for Rapidshare/Megaupload, feel free to go download happy. [​IMG]

Furthermore, the RIAA recently announced that it will stop prosecuting college students caught downloading illegal files. Don't know exactly how much impact this is but it's certainly something worth noting.

http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian.com/me...s-3584854.shtml

17. Taza

Member Taza GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Yes, the university will see unless you tunnel it through SSH.