PS1/2 Can the PS2 SCPH 900001 with the numbers 2C be soft modded?

Duncan Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I have two main questions:

My first one is if I can nowadays mod the PS2, I recall trying to install free mcboot and no dice.

My 2nd one is regarding Open Loader, I happen to own a crossover cable but I never managed to make it work in spite of me following the instructions.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that was the transitional model ver, in general no, but I think a few early 2C can, but you're probably never going to find one. Mine certainly can't.

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Memory card booting was patched for later SCPH-9000X slims, so Free MCBoot is it out of the question.

However, traditional hotswapping tricks still work, so you can still launch any homebrew programs by hotswapping uLaunchELF and working from there or, as Jelly said, modchipping to skip the hotswapping process.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Duncan Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Memory card booting was patched for later SCPH-9000X slims, so Free MCBoot is it out of the question.

However, traditional hotswapping tricks still work, so you can still launch any homebrew programs by hotswapping uLaunchELF and working from there or, as Jelly said, modchipping to skip the hotswapping process.
I have a modchip, matrix infinity 1.99 iirc

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have a chip just use dev1 mode on it (boot from memory card), no need to mess around with fmcb. Just set dev1 to be ulaunchelf (so you can launch other stuff from there) or if you only want open ps2 loader, set that.

Duncan Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
If you have a chip just use dev1 mode on it (boot from memory card), no need to mess around with fmcb. Just set dev1 to be ulaunchelf (so you can launch other stuff from there) or if you only want open ps2 loader, set that.
Wish I could, but pressing either R1 or Triangle to boot directly into OPL isn't working and the chip can't seemingly save settings.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wish I could, but pressing either R1 or Triangle to boot directly into OPL isn't working and the chip can't seemingly save settings.

It can't save because it's a clone :(. Only the later matrix infinity clones can save. Dev mode should work though, strange that it doesn't. You have it set right? whatever you want to boot as BOOT.ELF in a folder named BOOT on the root of the memory card? (case sensitive as well, has to be like that iirc), I think you have to hold it on boot as well, not just press it (at least that's the only way I got it to work).

Triangle boots infinity manager (menu to load other stuff), you have to install that first. Used to get it off Matrix's site, no idea where now. I think it works with clones as it just installs to the memory card, but not sure.

If you've tried it all, then that's odd, but then disc with ulanchelf is your only option left.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Duncan Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It can't save because it's a clone :(. Only the later matrix infinity clones can save. Dev mode should work though, strange that it doesn't. You have it set right? whatever you want to boot as BOOT.ELF in a folder named BOOT on the root of the memory card? (case sensitive as well, has to be like that iirc), I think you have to hold it on boot as well, not just press it (at least that's the only way I got it to work).

Triangle boots infinity manager (menu to load other stuff), you have to install that first. Used to get it off Matrix's site, no idea where now. I think it works with clones as it just installs to the memory card, but not sure.

If you've tried it all, then that's odd, but then disc with ulanchelf is your only option left.
I could ask how much is going to cost me change the chip for a newer model, expensive probably-

And yes mc0:\BOOT\Boot.elf

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could ask how much is going to cost me change the chip for a newer model, expensive probably-

And yes mc0:\BOOT\Boot.elf

Might just be how you typed it, has to be "BOOT.ELF" or it won't work. If it's Boot.elf as you typed it, that will make it fail. It's case sensitve for whatever reason and expects it in all caps.

Not worth it to get a new chip. May as well just leave a ulaunchelf disc in the machine and just use that to boot whatever.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Duncan Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Might just be how you typed it, has to be "BOOT.ELF" or it won't work. If it's Boot.elf as you typed it, that will make it fail. It's case sensitve for whatever reason and expects it in all caps.

Not worth it to get a new chip. May as well just leave a ulaunchelf disc in the machine and just use that to boot whatever.
it is in all caps tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F