Can the DSTwo support SDXC?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Shane Nolan, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Shane Nolan
    OP

Shane Nolan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2013
    I am wondering will the Supercard DSTwo be able to support a 64GB micro sd card as ive heard that everything from 2-32Gb is Sdhc while everything above that is SDXC so is the DSTwo SDXC compatible.

2. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
  3. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    so then comes the obvious question. what can you fit on 64 gb that you can't on 8 gb?

my flash kit testing pack contains 7,719 files. it includes jpgs, pdf, dpg, roms, emulation, hacks, translations, guides, mp3s, homebrew, apps, etc, and it fits on 8 gb. so while i'm really not trying to start anything, i'd like to better understand the reasoning behind wanting such a large msd card?

-another world

4. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Format to FAT32, done.

The SDXC standard is backwards comaptible (hardware-wise) with SDHC. Therefore all SDHC compatible devices should (theoretically, at the very least) work with all SDXC cards. The one sticking point is that SDXC cards are shipped with the exFAT file system, a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft. Due to the closed nature of the file system, it's not possible to freely, legally implement the file system on many devices, and therefore the cards are incompatible. Formatting to FAT32 removes said limitation, because pretty much every device is compatible with FAT32. However, it does introduce a 4GB file size limit.