Can the BD-JB Blu-ray Disc Java Sandbox Escape by TheFlow be used on the xbox one

XboxModder2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Because BD-J is not an exploit. It's a feature of the Bluray standard. Easiest way I can try explain is imagine you have BD-J which is like 10% of the system's functionality unlocked (But planned like that by Sony/Microsoft/etc). BD-JB exploits the already unlocked 10% to unlock an extra 40% of that functionality, which is the exploit part of this all. (The percentages are just arbitrary numbers with no real meaning other than to portray my point.)

The names do cause a lot of confusion, but there is a big difference between the two.
Ah alright, so lets say i wanna look for vulns considering we already have the binaries with dev mode and everyone, where do i start looking, or rather how

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah alright, so lets say i wanna look for vulns considering we already have the binaries with dev mode and everyone, where do i start looking, or rather how
If your entry point is via BD-J, then you need to look at the java environment which is running on the Xbox. I don't own an Xbox One anymore so unfortunately I can't give any detailed info.

Torus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Basically what @Tomato123 said:

• BD-J: Feature that consists in basically including very limited Java code in BluRay discs, for the readers to execute. This code is, again, Java bytecode, not native bytecode. In other words, it runs in a (sort of) VM. And has a very limited set of capabilities. All modern consoles support this (xbox one, xbox series X presumably - i have not tested it and I'm not interested in researching the Series X/S -, PS3, PS4 and PS5)
  • BD-JB: Name of the exploit for the BD-J implementation of the PS4/PS5. Very surely, the same vulnerability does not exist in the Xbox one.

Looking for vulns @brouh :

BD-JB in the PS4/PS5 basically manages to "escape" the VM that executes the Java code, and (without going into details) gets to run native code. Then it also exploits a kernel vulnerability to gain more privileges if I recall correctly.

What I was suggesting in earlier posts is that, the VM application in the Xbox One, which executes the Java code, could theoretically have vulnerabilities. Hence it would be interesting to investigate. But that application is not the same one that runs on the PS4/PS5, it is probably a custom one made by Microsoft for the Xbox one. So the vulns (if any) would be different.

You'll likely need to do static reverse engineering of that application, using tools like Ghidra, IDA Pro, or radare2.
To do that, you first also need to find the application itself in your devmode console, and extract it to your PC. Where can you find the binary in charge of executing BD-J in the xbox one? Honestly no idea. I took a quick look at the drivers in C:\Windows\System32 in the Xb1 to see if I could quickly identify something related to ODD, BD, BluRay but I saw nothing. I'll let you know if I stumble upon it, or, if someone knows where to look into, don't hesitate to share w/ all of us :)

XboxModder2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Basically what @Tomato123 said:

• BD-J: Feature that consists in basically including very limited Java code in BluRay discs, for the readers to execute. This code is, again, Java bytecode, not native bytecode. In other words, it runs in a (sort of) VM. And has a very limited set of capabilities. All modern consoles support this (xbox one, xbox series X presumably - i have not tested it and I'm not interested in researching the Series X/S -, PS3, PS4 and PS5)
  • BD-JB: Name of the exploit for the BD-J implementation of the PS4/PS5. Very surely, the same vulnerability does not exist in the Xbox one.

Looking for vulns @brouh :

BD-JB in the PS4/PS5 basically manages to "escape" the VM that executes the Java code, and (without going into details) gets to run native code. Then it also exploits a kernel vulnerability to gain more privileges if I recall correctly.

What I was suggesting in earlier posts is that, the VM application in the Xbox One, which executes the Java code, could theoretically have vulnerabilities. Hence it would be interesting to investigate. But that application is not the same one that runs on the PS4/PS5, it is probably a custom one made by Microsoft for the Xbox one. So the vulns (if any) would be different.

You'll likely need to do static reverse engineering of that application, using tools like Ghidra, IDA Pro, or radare2.
To do that, you first also need to find the application itself in your devmode console, and extract it to your PC. Where can you find the binary in charge of executing BD-J in the xbox one? Honestly no idea. I took a quick look at the drivers in C:\Windows\System32 in the Xb1 to see if I could quickly identify something related to ODD, BD, BluRay but I saw nothing. I'll let you know if I stumble upon it, or, if someone knows where to look into, don't hesitate to share w/ all of us :)
I do think @Mezone0 on twitter is the guy that knows where to look, he shared this 11 months ago

Not sure if he's still active though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly