Homebrew Can someone please explain to me how VCRomClaim works?

WillIEvenUseThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I begin this thread, if you're gonna leave a comment saying something like "why are you using VCRomClaim, why don't you just download ROMs off the Internet?", please keep it to yourself. I would like some genuine answers/solutions to my question, and it would be annoying to get a notification for a comment on this thread only for said comment to not even be helpful in the slightest.

But anyways, recently I've tried dumping some game ROMs from the Wii Virtual Console. I've successfully obtained ROMs of the first three Super Mario Bros. games via a HEX editor, and I would like to be able to obtain Super Mario World as well, completing the classic Mario quadrilogy. I wasn't able to find the ROM data for SMW in the HEX editor, so I'm going to try using VCRomClaim instead.

However, I have absolutely no idea how to operate it. I have Python installed, along with all the necessary plugins like snesrestore and stuff like that, but I can't seem to figure out what commands I need to put in for the program to extract the game ROM from the WAD. I don't know if I'm just stupid or what, but none of this makes sense to me. Has anyone else used VCRomClaim before?

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Reactions: banjo2

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've never used this (pretty interesting tool, I did not know about it before) so I can't tell you much, but the github page says this is the command to use:

python wiimetadata.py nand_directory

Maybe this issue report helps you, there's a screenshot of someone trying to take a Super Mario World ROM from an installed WAD, maybe you can make it work by using the same command shown there.

WillIEvenUseThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never used this (pretty interesting tool, I did not know about it before) so I can't tell you much, but the github page says this is the command to use:

python wiimetadata.py nand_directory

Maybe this issue report helps you, there's a screenshot of someone trying to take a Super Mario World ROM from an installed WAD, maybe you can make it work by using the same command shown there.

Tried using that, it didn't work. Am I supposed to press enter after typing the command? I'm a complete noob at coding and Python, I apologise.

Last edited by WillIEvenUseThis,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Usually yes, you need to press enter. By just writing the command you don't do anything, the program just keeps on waiting to receive a command. It doesn't "acknowledge" it the moment you type it, because often you need to input more than one command or optional settings at the same time.

WillIEvenUseThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually yes, you need to press enter. By just writing the command you don't do anything, the program just keeps on waiting to receive a command. It doesn't "acknowledge" it the moment you type it, because often you need to input more than one command or optional settings at the same time.
Ah okay, just making sure because I had tried typing the command numerous times while pressing enter afterwards, and each time it didn't work. So I'm not really sure where I went wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Bruh