Hardware Can losing internet connection cause files to corrupt?

Bondgirl85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is the right place to put this. Last week, I had some file corrupt on my 32 gb SD card. I got the error code and stuff and then Pokemon Rumble World told me some files had been corrupted so I might lose some data in the game. I changed cards to my 16 gb one and everything still worked so I knew it was the card and not the system nor the program.

The corruption happened when I was browsing the eshop and in the eshop it loads and stuff so the reason why the system won't let you exit to your home screen. Then I noticed the internet had been shut off when the guy was here because we were having internet connection issues where it disconnects and reconnects and then it was worse when we had it installed correctly. That was when the files had been corrupted on my card. The man disconnected it because he was looking at it and fixing it. No one warned me we would be losing internet for a bit while the guy is here.

So my question is can losing internet connection cause the files to corrupt on your sd card if the app or game was loading?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is the right place to put this. Last week, I had some file corrupt on my 32 gb SD card. I got the error code and stuff and then Pokemon Rumble World told me some files had been corrupted so I might lose some data in the game. I changed cards to my 16 gb one and everything still worked so I knew it was the card and not the system nor the program.

The corruption happened when I was browsing the eshop and in the eshop it loads and stuff so the reason why the system won't let you exit to your home screen. Then I noticed the internet had been shut off when the guy was here because we were having internet connection issues where it disconnects and reconnects and then it was worse when we had it installed correctly. That was when the files had been corrupted on my card. The man disconnected it because he was looking at it and fixing it. No one warned me we would be losing internet for a bit while the guy is here.

So my question is can losing internet connection cause the files to corrupt on your sd card if the app or game was loading?
To my knowledge you would only experience corruption if the sd card was actively being written to - and the loss of connection caused some adherent data to be written to the card with a broken file.

Never happened to me though.

Reactions: tbb043

Bondgirl85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge you would only experience corruption if the sd card was actively being written to - and the loss of connection caused some adherent data to be written to the card with a broken file.

Never happened to me though.

Okay so it was bad timing then when the man shut off the internet when the card was probably being written to. I know turning off the game system while it's saving or loading is bad so I guess the internet connection counts too because it is like turning it off. The system has a built in thing where it locks the home screen button by not allowing you to exit out while it's loading or saving probably to prevent this.

I wonder what file could have been broken and while it would cause the DLC to corrupt and lot of my custom theme files and some game files?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your 32 GB SD card a fairly recent purchase? Another possible explanation for corrupt files is that your card is a fake. Whenever you acquire flash memories like USB drives and SD cards, use this program to test the physical storage. Never assume that the brand name and size stated on the card is really what it says it is.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows).html

Reactions: x65943

Bondgirl85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine at Fred Meyer. Why would they have fake cards? Can a chain store like Wal Mart, Target, Sears, Fred Meyer, and Best Buy sell fake cards? I wouldn't trust buying any from ebay or aliexpress because of fake sd cards.

I just bought it few days after I got the 3DS in the mail because I filled the 16 GB card pretty quick. Now I have another hacked 3DS I did myself thank to the help from this website. Except it's a 4GB card because it came with it.

Bondgirl85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested the program and there seems to be a maximum of how many files they can test from the card. I bet a 32 GB card will be more than 3777 MB which is the maximum. I tested it with my husband's card from his phone and his was only 1583MB and his card was a 4 GB. I could tell that was once inside a 3DS because it had a Nintendo 3DS folder but it was empty and only had like one game file to it.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine at Fred Meyer. Why would they have fake cards? Can a chain store like Wal Mart, Target, Sears, Fred Meyer, and Best Buy sell fake cards? I wouldn't trust buying any from ebay or aliexpress because of fake sd cards.
I dunno abour Fred Meyer (we don't have any I know of), but if they're a large well known brick & mortor like Walmart, Target, Sears, BB, etc, it's almost certainly not fake, those usually come from shady interwebs sites (sometimes even selling through Amazon)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested the program and there seems to be a maximum of how many files they can test from the card. I bet a 32 GB card will be more than 3777 MB which is the maximum. I tested it with my husband's card from his phone and his was only 1583MB and his card was a 4 GB. I could tell that was once inside a 3DS because it had a Nintendo 3DS folder but it was empty and only had like one game file to it.

Yo gotta test the cards when they're empty or else the program won't be able to map out the entire card. 1 GB = 1024 MB. You'll never get the entire 32 GB as manufacturers round down to 1000 MB per 1 gigabyte. In fact, if Windows states your card is 32 GB on the dot , that card is definitely a fake.

Your 32 GB card should have an actual real size of about 29.75 GB (give or take). You getting 3777 MB (if the test was done when it was empty), means it's fake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: they don't really taste like cotton candy but i guess they don't need to