• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can ISP's handle the extra load?

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With more and more people staying home the result is going to be a massive and persistent load on all internet traffic.

Are ISP's going to be able to cope with this? We all know how bad it can get around a certain time every evening, is that going to be the new normal for months ahead?

For those on high speed plans, are they going to have to be capped more vigorously to balance the load?

Is all of this moot because they can easily increase bandwidth? (Genuine question, I'm not savvy on this topic)

Reactions: KiiWii

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
With most ISPs just writing off home data caps for a few months, I’m curious to know just how much those “caps” are needed. This entire virus ordeal is going to be a proving ground for a lot of infrastructure related questions.

Reactions: Seliph

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Last edited by Alexander1970,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
There should be no problems unless you have cable internet which is a shared media and does get slower if lots of people in your neighbourhood are downloading shit. DSL and fiber are exclusive and should be fine.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As it seems in the Morning - definitely NO.:(

3 (Drei) seemed to have "issues" on Mobile Internet (not confirmed):

https://allestörungen.at/stoerung/3/

I noticed a massive "collapse" in Download Speeds (~50 kb/sec) and Side "Layout Building".
Now it seems a lot better.
Mobile internet should be faster if anything, more people staying at home means mobile internet is used less.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are ISP's going to be able to cope with this?
Yes - there have been slowdowns, but they're ordinary (based on the fact advertised speeds are under ideal conditions that never assume usage of, for example, the maximum 128 devices GPON fiber can connect)

For those on high speed plans, are they going to have to be capped more vigorously to balance the load?
Nah, for the same reason of maximum speeds never really being binding (the legally recognized speed test standard in Italy is a full day average) and minimum guaranteed speeds are, at least in my experience, still easily achieved

Is all of this moot because they can easily increase bandwidth? (Genuine question, I'm not savvy on this topic)
It depends: just like for the individual consumer, maximum speeds are even for them sometimes an artificial restriction, while if the link is actually used to its maximum capacity... it's certainly possible to add another, but that requires using less of their profits for manager bonuses and shrugging-fines-off budget

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There should be no problems unless you have cable internet which is a shared media and does get slower if lots of people in your neighbourhood are downloading shit. DSL and fiber are exclusive and should be fine.
My cable internet connection always got and still gets the full stable download and upload speed

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Then you got lucky. Usually cable ISPs try to get as many customers on the same line as possible resulting in slowdowns when they are all at home.
I had that experience with some other people's fiber connections that never actually get the full speed
I also have a server at home so I'm pretty much always using the connection

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, you pretty much never get the advertised speed. It's always slightly below or worst case much below advertised. Sadly the ISPs are covering their asses with contractual clauses stating the minimum speed.

What i meant was you usually get speed as advertised with cable except when you don't (on evenings or when lots of people are staying home like right now). Fiber stays constant.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It'll depend on which ISP, of course, but my guess is that aside from the smaller ones, things'll be okay. Not perfect, but okay.

If there's one thing that ISP's have done in the last decade, it's upgrading their infrastructure. We're already far, far beyond the common basic tasks on the 'net, though it's important to stress that fact.
Why? Because download torrents, video streaming and online gaming use up data that's exponentially above writing an email or posting on a forum (honestly: I don't think I can hit my data cap with my gbatemp posts ;) ). But that latter is still being used, and is usually considered more critical in its application kind.
ISP's know this kind. Before net neutrality became a thing (or not...I forgot how it turned out in the US), certain ISP's would be limiting the speeds of, or even blocking certain types of internet traffic. It was controversial because even though your ISP wasn't SPYING on you(1), it was perceived as an invasion of privacy. And banned in our regions.

So what happens if all the students hit the couch and game and watch netflix all day while their parents work from home and THEIR parents use skype to get in touch in the only way elderly people can remain in touch? Well...it might be hard to handle for ISP's, yes (similar to how new year's eve text messages get delays because everyone's using it). But assuming they can't handle it, they can always temporary resort to these sorts of methods to make sure that the one geezer who's downloading half the internet isn't dragging everyone else down.

Reactions: Ryccardo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Except many have Mobile Internet for their Work.

I see it in the List of my "surrounded" Hotspots/WiFiDevices.
Usually there are 3-6 now there are about 16.:)
Don't they have a home connection? :unsure:
Well, you pretty much never get the advertised speed. It's always slightly below or worst case much below advertised. Sadly the ISPs are covering their asses with contractual clauses stating the minimum speed.

What i meant was you usually get speed as advertised with cable except when you don't (on evenings or when lots of people are staying home like right now). Fiber stays constant.
I always get ~200/30 on cable, never experienced any slowdowns. Granted, I'm paying for 250/30, but I talked to the ISP about it and they said there's no reason on their end why I wouldn't get the full speed, so I guess somewhere along the chain of router, cables, and a network switch, there's a bottleneck. It was the same when I tried out 500/50 for a few months. Got the full 50 up, but still limited to 200 down.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Don't they have a home connection? :unsure:

It seems only WiFi Internet with Mobile Modems/Hot Spots like mine.
No one has an "Landline" Connection in this "District".
But Cable Connection/Provider are there,I have no Idea why so many Wifi Devices/Networks are around my Place......:(

(please google BURGENLAND and you will surely find many "Jokes" about "they "stayed a little bit behind".....like OSTFRIESEN for Germany.:D).

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy