Gaming Can I Use WarioWare D.I.Y. To Make Music Commercially?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt they made the samples in there available for commercial use. I have the EU/UK manual here and had a quick scan through. Despite that though I have not played the game to play with that yet so I am going off what the guide in the manual says.
It mentions a font (Sharp LC or something)
It mentions the conditions for the "challenge" entry and specifically mentions having you clear any third party content sent in.
The music credits part all seem to be classical music and folk songs (presumably all long since out of copyright, though I have not checked all of them and am mostly going by when I know certain composers of the listed tracks died), though performance rights and samples would ultimately mean more there.

As it is not a review, satire, parody or some flavour of education it is unlikely to inherently fall under fair use.
You might have the argument that it is explicitly a music creator but you don't have rights to a sample clip included with one. Equally I might have to pay to use a sound font with a keyboard or something. There were a few examples back when of djs using electroplankton and the korg commercial thing was also popular in certain circles, homebrew again had nice things but those are all different programs. Not sure about Daigasso but that is less relevant than the others mentioned.

A curious one in the end. By strict readings of relevant laws, which is to say samples, I would go with not above board. Practically speaking unless the samples are recognisably theirs and/or you are not sending up one of their songs they might never know, and they would have to be truly petty to go after you. Showing damages based upon that would be even harder (again assuming the rest is not a send up of their song, theme and the game itself is otherwise nothing that would bother them).
If you have the ability to rerecord the song with cleared samples then I would say do so just to be safe. On being sued I would personally be more worried about being sued for my ROM hacks than doing what you describe (with the provisos mentioned) and I am not worried at all about that, I would probably not even be worried about some clever youtube algorithm sample checking and pinging me because I had the title screen with music playing in a video.

Speaking of ROM hacking and before we cover masking techniques if you fancy hacking your own samples into the game then I am down for that, I think a lot of it was covered already but I am still around for it all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am led to understand that Undertale was pretty heavy on the satire and parody, often down to the music. I agree most places seem to care less about soundfonts than most other things and most things care more about samples. I don't actually have any examples of legal cases involving this sort of thing and a scan of things like the ocremix scene sees me find people playing it more safe than most ROM hacking scenes I see (and don't poke the bear is very much the order of the day there).

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: HaloEffect17

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: 7iven8Nine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16