Hacking Can i use a partitioned SD card?

pernale_06

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi, i have a 16GB micro sd card that i wanted to use in my wii. since it says that the micro sd card is SDHC i thought that i would be able to use it, but when i inserted it the wii said that it is impossible to use the current object. i tried partitioning the sd card (i made a 1.5GB partition in FAT32 and left the rest not allocated), but with no succes. is it because i am using an adapter? or is it because i cant partition the sd card? i hope anyone can tell me what i am doing wrong

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wii must have at least System Menu 4.0 to use SDHC cards.
Troubleshooting/process of elimination:
  • Try another adapter
  • Try another micro-SD in the same adapter
  • Best: Use a full-sized SD to eliminate possible issues with bad adapters.
If no FAT32 formatted, full-sized SD can be used carefully clean the slot with compressed air (not by blowing your breath into the slot). Do not use too much pressure. It might damage the pins. Speaking of the pins: Use a flashlight to look into the slot to see if anything looks bent or corroded.

Good luck!

Jeremy970

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A partioned sd sometimes works but it works better as a normal fat32 SD. If, however, you want to store small files or run programs off your SD, a smaller cluster size will help preserve space. For a 500 MB SD, rather select 512 bytes (FAT32) or 32 kilobytes (FAT).

I have an official Wii 2gb SD card and it is in the fat format. Just another thing to acknowledge is that a Wii can only handle 2gb unless it is an SDHC then it can handle up to 32gb. Try some other cards if you have them. The Wii is very picky with SD cards.

Attachments

• wiisd.png
    wiisd.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by Jeremy970,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[...]
I have an official Wii 2gb SD card and it is in the fat format. Just another thing to acknowledge is that a Wii can only handle 2gb unless it is an SDHC then it can handle up to 32gb. Try some other cards if you have them. The Wii is very picky with SD cards.
The Wii can use SDXC with 64GB+ just fine when formatted to FAT32 (like many other devices). 32GB is only the official limit since SDXC come with exFAT by default.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello