Can i use a digital camera as a MicroSD reader?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by mr_blonde_88, Jan 10, 2007.

1. mr_blonde_88
    OP

Member mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

United Kingdom
    Just wondering, cus i dont have a card reader, and if the R4 one doesnt work (like it porbably wont) i was wondering if i could??

2. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    Yeah, this is actually what I did to get my roms ready for when my R4 came. Then of course, it came with a reader, so I didn't need to do that anymore. [​IMG]

3. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    As long as the camera supports usb to be read in the computer then sure. Basically anything capable to connect your card to your 'computer' for file access, will work as a 'card reader'.

4. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yup. My bundled card reader worked fine though. Although I decided not to use it incase it exploded or something after hearing other peoples reviews of it [​IMG] The write protect switch on the SD adapter that came with the sandisc tf card is loose though, so I had to put tape on it otherwise it would write protect itself everytime I put it in my fullsize SD card reader which made it rather difficult to put games on.

5. mr_blonde_88
    OP

United Kingdom
    kwl, but when i plug my camera in, if i format it (wat FAT do i format it too) will it effect ma camera at all?

6. mr_blonde_88
    OP

United Kingdom
    so i cant use my camera, it'll only let me put pictures on it, it sees it as a camera

Anyway of changing this??

7. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    If you managed to get the computer to read the SD card via the camera. Then the camera will have no control of what you want to store. Just drag whatever files you want in explorer to the card drive and show the camera who's in control here [​IMG]

8. richardv

Member richardv GBAtemp Regular

United States
  9. mr_blonde_88
    OP

United Kingdom
    I cant drag either, seems the camera has controll [​IMG]
    I get the lil red circle with the line thru it sayin i cant drop it in there

10. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    It should be obvious you guys are comparing apples and oranges here I think....or maybe I'm thinking too much into blonde's problem. It's obvious he installed some kind of software interface that came with the camera and he is using that to "drag" files in. Of course it's only going to accept pictures or what not. You just need to connect the camera to the computer using native windows usb mass storage drivers or camera's drivers and access the SD card in the camera as a drive in windows. Then you can do whatever you like with that drive in terms of formatting and exchanging files.

11. mr_blonde_88
    OP

United Kingdom
    i havent isntalled anything, im not stupid enough to try and use a prgram that came with the camera to transfer files!!
    Tis my parants camera, and wen i realised it used an SD card (i have a microSD to SD adpater) i thought i could get everythin on my card read

SO i plug the camera in, turn it on, then go to my computer, and double clikc on the camera and try and paste and try and drag, but no luck

12. Katalyst

United States
    I really didn't read up but I got the general idea of the problem. Shouldn't be a problem. Put the microSD card in the adapter, put the SD card in the camera, plug the camera up through USB. It should pop up as an additional removable drive which is the SD card. You should be able to format it FAT/FAT32 and browse it normally as you would any other drive.

13. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    No no, it depends on your OS too.

Windows XP, if it recognises your camera as a camera (sounds stupid i know, but if this is what you're getting, you will understand me)... you can't actually dump files onto it, only read from it, or delete photos from it.

14. mr_blonde_88
    OP

United Kingdom

seems i wont be using it to put files on my microSD then :-(
    hopefully the one with my R4 will work!!

15. Katalyst

United States
    Wow...that's pretty...stupid. It's Windows though, I'm not surprised [​IMG] What model camera do you have, to the OP?