Can I update my PSP through a memory stick that has other content on it?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by The Viztard, Jul 24, 2013.

1. The Viztard
    OP

The Viztard GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2008
    United States
    Hueco Mundo...=P
    Essentially the topic title is my quick question. There are other things on the memory card (i.e. homebrew and music) and I was wondering if that would have any effect at all with updating my PSP's official firmware. Any help is appreciated, thanks! :yaypsp:

2. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Obviously if you update your PSP with an official firmware you'll loose the ability to launch homebrew, or even display it.
    I'm not quite sure you already have an OFW and want to update it, or seeing that you have homebrew it's a CFW.

Anyway, I'd recommend to follow Rydian excellent PSP hacking tutorial to the letter ( it covers every possible situation ) and you should be fine.

The Viztard likes this.
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    You won't be able to use your homebrew anymore if you update to an OFW ;]

But yes, you can update your PSP with your MS without having to format it.
    Just drop it in PSP/GAME and it should be detectable.

Edit: Ninja'd

The Viztard likes this.
  4. The Viztard
    OP

The Viztard GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2008
    United States
    Hueco Mundo...=P
    Well I feel stupid for not mentioning that I was planning on installing the PRO CFW after the OFW update...(it's currently on 5.50 D..4? on a PSP 1000. And I should be able to install PRO afterwards no problem, right?) And thanks for the help guys. :)

EDIT: Can't english correctly
    EDIT 2: Ok, tried updating but now I'm getting this error when attempting to launch the update saying that my PSP is on some crazy 9.90 firmware version when it isn't. Any insight? Thanks a bunch.
    EDIT3: (Yeesh, so many edits.) Used handy old Google and fixed the issue. Disregard the second edit. Sorry!

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Just a note, there's stickies here... and they show you how to get around that issue and more.