Hacking Can I get some help installing boot9strap??

conow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hi, everybody. I have a problem trying to install ntrboot into my 3dsxl.

So here's the problem.

I've finished flashing ntrboot(as instructed in 3ds hack guide site)

But when I tried to install ntrboot with safeb9sinstaller, the thing doesn't show up.

Here's what happens when I try to do that.

a. I put the magnet on the sweet spot.
b. I insert the R4 chip.
c. I hold the button combinations(X+start+select+power)
d. Blue light comes on, indicating that my 3ds have been turned on.(with a small click sound)
e. Orange light comes on, which I think means that it went into sleep mode.
f. When I remove the magnet, the screen just shows normal menu screen, where I have no problem navigating.

I think what happens is that somehow safeb9sinstaller isn't working, which makes the 3ds just boot normally only to get into sleep mode immediately because of the magnet.

Now, I've been desparate, so I've been scouring for solutions in many places including this one. So let me go ahead and answer most asked questions in these kinds of threads.

1. Did I change the file safeb9sinstaller.firm into boot.firm and copy it into the root of my SD card?

Yes, I triple, quadrouple checked.

2. You distinguished between the sd card on your R4 card and your 3ds, right?

Yes, also chekced multiple times.

3. What R4 card are you using?

R4iSDHC GOLD PRO 2018

I checked if it was compatible with the procedure beforehand. It does say it has a timebomb, but that's scheduled at 2019.

I do have my suspicions for possible causes.

1. My magnet's somehow not triggering magnethax properly.

- I'm just using magnets used to stick stuffs on whiteboards and stuffs. They are weak, I know, but they were strong enough to get the 3ds into sleep mode. Could it possibly be the cause?

2. ntrboot's current version is 1.3, whereas safeb9sinstaller is 0.0.7. And it says on safeb9sinstaller's github page that it's compatible with ntrboot ver. 1.1, 1.2.

- But both versions are latest releases.

3. Somehow I messed up flashing ntrboot.

- I don't know how to reverse the process and do it again at this point, so I'm probably screwed if that's the case.

4. R4 card isn't being read by my 3ds properly.

- But it worked perfectly until the last step. Why now?

Thank you for your attention :)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Does the magnet put the system into sleep mode when it's turned on? Also did you rename the SafeB9SInstaller.firm to boot.firm on the root of your SD card?
Are you following 3ds.hacks.guide?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, yes and yes, as I stated above.
It can often be a bit spotty if it will work or not, depending on the strength of the magnet. You may either need to use a stronger magnet or play with the placement of your current one.

conow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
It can often be a bit spotty if it will work or not, depending on the strength of the magnet. You may either need to use a stronger magnet or play with the placement of your current one.

Thank you, kind madam/sir. How strong would the magnet be? Youtube videos I've watched often used bulky ones, so would I need one of those, too?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thank you, kind madam/sir. How strong would the magnet be? Youtube videos I've watched often used bulky ones, so would I need one of those, too?
Not a problem, madam btw (thanks for being considerate ^_^) It doesn't have to be a bulky one, just one strong enough that it's almost always guarantee to trigger sleep mode no matter where it's placed. I personally use a small neodymium magnet that is powerful enough to trigger sleep mode when it's only a couple cm's away from the system.

conow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Not a problem, madam btw (thanks for being considerate ^_^) It doesn't have to be a bulky one, just one strong enough that it's almost always guarantee to trigger sleep mode no matter where it's placed. I personally use a small neodymium magnet that is powerful enough to trigger sleep mode when it's only a couple cm's away from the system.

Hmm... But my magnets do always get the machine into sleep mode, so that possible cause may turn out to be not the actual cause. But I am not going to stop with literal white board magnets. Thank you! :)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hmm... But my magnets do always get the machine into sleep mode, so that possible cause may turn out to be not the actual cause. But I am not going to stop with literal white board magnets. Thank you! :)
Does the cart show the Bomberman icon when inserted into the system?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It did until I finished flashing ntrboot, but it started not appearing after. It is my understanding that's what happens when done properly.
That is a sign that it was flashed properly. Try taping down the buttons and playing the magnet as you boot the system, something is bond to trigger NTRboot

conow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
That is a sign that it was flashed properly. Try taping down the buttons and playing the magnet as you boot the system, something is bond to trigger NTRboot

Again I feel like they are excellent suggestions. I think I lost count on times I've said thank you to you...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head