Can i do this with the gateway?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Thooby, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Thooby
    OP

Thooby Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hey, I'm gonna buy a 3ds this week. I have already found one with firmware 4.4.
    But before i decide to buy it and buy the gateway card i would like to get some questions answered.

Can i remove the hack from the 3ds if i would like to in the future?
    Can i use the gateway to play regular ds games, and if i can what do i have to do to get it to work?
    Will i be able to use the eshop?
    Will i be able to connect it to my nnid so i can use miiverse?
    Will i be able to play retail games like smash bros so i can play online?

I would be super grateful if someone could answer these questions, sorry for being a noob:)

2. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    I just got a 4.4 DS XL and am ordering a Gateway from realhotstuff.com (I ordered my M3 Perfect Lite adapter from them years ago).

1) Yes. The gateway works by overwriting the DS profile string which triggers the exploit. You will not be able to play old DS games, but can revert.
    2) The Bluecard included is a cheap DS card clone. You can use it to play regular ds games but remember you have to revert the DS Profile that's used by Gateway before you can boot into normal DS mode.
    3) Not currently. The encryption keys changed in 7.2. This is being worked on.
    4) Not sure.
    6) Yes, normal purchased carts will work (I think). If you want to play a 3DS backup online you will need a original cart to copy some keys off of (or you have the possibility of being banned).

3. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Yes, removing Launcher.dat from sd card and running a ds game will clear the exploit.
    Gateway consists of 2 carts. A blue card that is used to load the exploit which can also be used for ds games. And a red card for 3ds games.
    Currently it's not possible to use eshop. Since 7.2 changes the save method of eshop to one that isn't compatible with 4.5 3ds. Gateway has stated that they are working on a fix but it's unknown when it will be released.
    Depends. If your nnid is already connected to another 3ds then there is no way to connect it to the 4.5 3ds without system transfer. Since system settings (and hence system transfer) suffers the same problem as eshop right now there is no way to do a system transfer. However, if your nnid isn't connected to another 3ds it'll work fine.
    Roms do work online now. However, it's very likely the Smash will use the same save encryption as eshop and system settings. So unless Gateway comes up with a fix Smash won't even run, let alone go online.

This thread should answer a lot of the questions you might have
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035/
    Please ask your questions in this thread in the future so we don't have floods of duplicate topics

This thread teaches you how to go online with roms
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035/

4. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Short version cause my internet ate the reply.​
    Can i remove the hack from the 3ds if i would like to in the future?​
    Yes. Delete the launcher.dat from the SD, and run a DS game from the blue card.

Can i use the gateway to play regular ds games, and if i can what do i have to do to get it to work?​
    Yes. Just throw the ROMS in the root of the blue card's SD. Can run straight from there. Compatibility is here and there, but most work okay.

Will i be able to use the eshop?​
    At the moment, no. 7.2 encryption prevents this.

Will i be able to connect it to my nnid so i can use miiverse?​
    If the ID isn't connected to a current 3DS, you could. Otherwise no 7.2 encryption prevents this, and only way would be a systransfer which puts you off the flash cart.

Will i be able to play retail games like smash bros so i can play online?​
    Current games can be played online if configured/updated. If you haven't gotten the patches, you're out of luck. However, games like SmashBros will use the newer encryption and won't work until flash cards patch them.