Hacking Can i connect PS3 HDD to PC, safely?

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hello guys!

So i bought this PS3, used, it has some games on it in folder format on it's HDD.
I was wondering...
Can i take out the PS3's HDD and connect it to PC via external shell holder for HDD's like this one
(thats the exact one that i have, its a shell with a connector for HDD inside, and a mini USB outside):
50779534.jpg

Now i know i CAN connect, it's an HDD, just like any other HDD, but the question is, should i?
And does PS3 uses some special formatting, and will it ruin the data by connecting HDD to any other device, except the PS3 slim?

It would be nice to be able to transfer data TO HDD and FROM it, onto my PC.

Thnks!

Last edited by MetoMeto,
D

Deleted User

I'm not sure what format the PS3 formats a hard drive to it might be different than a PC and if the PC does not like the format it will make you format and thus you will lose everything that's on the internal. Maybe there's someone out there that's done it and can chime in and say it's fine but it's not normally done and FTP is recommended. FTP is not that difficult to use.

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, but what would happen if i connect it to a PC?

"...USB 2 internal HDD"
I don't understand, what do you mean by this?

If internal Nothing or you might have to reformat.. To move files around you can - Copy to USB - use any file manager to copy from usb back to ps3 internal hdd. Usb can be fat 32 for folder format or ntfs/exfat for iso format.

Last edited by HollowGrams,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
PS3 has a proprietary format that can't be read by windows or linux. These days your best bet is this file manager with a NTFS formatted external hard drive. Voila!
Thanks, but i actually found a really good way to transfer fast and easy.
I just use FTP but with CAT5 cable. It works flawlessly!

My initial question was how to connect hdd to pc, but the purpose of that was to fransfer files faster back and forth, so this woks for me and its quite convinient.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt