Hacking Can a DSTT damage a console?

Ethantim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can using a fake DSTT destroy your DS console? Is this called 'bricking'?

I bought 3 cards from Focal point, all 3 have the slots on the left side but all work perfectly (all new packaging). I've used one of the cards for about a month but the other 2 only a week or so. I'm worried now that I'm sitting on a time bomb that could harm my consoles. Is this the case?

Thank you.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well yes,it's called bricking.and it may damage your console,if it's harmful,but I do know that there is a program that tests your DSTT so you can use the REmove Fake Killer thingy,to be safe,someone would post a link to that program(i dont know it!)and you test it out,but if your sure that it's not a fake,you should use it

and btw,when you meant left side,when your facing the sticker it's in the left?or when your facing the back part?

Ethantim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for your fast reply.

As you look at the stickered side, its on the right- so I take it thats a fake
frown.gif
I had loaded the software from the official site (I guess thats the latest) on all the cards and they all seem to work. Thanks for your help, I'll look for the checker programme.

Sharpz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
well yes,it's called bricking.and it may damage your console,if it's harmful,but I do know that there is a program that tests your DSTT so you can use the REmove Fake Killer thingy,to be safe,someone would post a link to that program(i dont know it!)and you test it out,but if your sure that it's not a fake,you should use it

and btw,when you meant left side,when your facing the sticker it's in the left?or when your facing the back part?

The Firmware wouldn't harm the DS but the DSTT itself if its fake.Bricking from a Flashcart is caused when the contacts rub against something or scratch something and causes the DS to not boot up.

Ethantim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay,
wacko.gif
I'm happy to lose £5 on a bricked DSTT card , but not £100 on a console. I've found that fakedetector thread - thanks for your help
smile.gif

Hitcher

Trophies
XP
Country
lolzed said:

Get your facts straight - fake DSTT's will NOT brick your DS.

thunderstick88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I just bought a new DS, and a DSTT card. I wasn't sure at first, but now I am certain that the DSTT bricked my DS.

I checked the site, it's not a fake. It's not the newest one, it's the one with 'NDS-AGB 8' in the chip.

I bought a new DS, charged it, was just playing around, put the DSTT card in it, I don't have any games loaded on the microcard yet, turned it on and I get a orange light that flashes for a second, then no power. Nothing appears on the screen.

I returned it, didn't know what happened, thought I got a faulty DS. Toysrus gave me a new one, so then I bought a game, tried it, worked fine, then I stuck the DSTT card in again..and CRAP, it got bricked again. So now I'm certain it was the card. I rushed over to Toysrus, and quickly said the shipment of pink DS's have power problems..lol, the student cashier bought the story.

Anyone know what I should do? I won't be able to go back to the store till this weekend where I bought the DSTT card. I'm definitely not going to try it again on my third DS. I didn't load any software or games onto the microsd card, would that have something to do with it? or is it the DSTT card that is faulty?

I googled everywhere, and can't find anyone who has said there DS was bricked with a read card.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

xrM

Trophies
XP
Country
Could be that that dstt blew a fuse or something, thought that's pretty unheard of in an original dstt. I think you should try returning the dstt, don't risk it again

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It did not brick your DS

It has blown F2, there must be a fault with the DSTT card and it has drawn too much power. Send the DSTT back and get the DS replaced

thunderstick88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I know what happened to my DS now. It wasn't the DSTT card, it was the MicroSD card. I brought it back to the store where I bought it, and told him the story. He found it strange, since he said 'I sold 200 of these cards with no problem at all". What I didn't do was format the SD card and put the system files on it. He did it, put it in the DSTT card and put in HIS DS, and all worked fine.

Stupid on my part to stick the microSD card with nothing on it, but didn't think it would do something to my DS.

Bottomline, make sure your card is formatted with proper system files on it, just to be safe!

thunderstick88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I know what happened to my DS now. It wasn't the DSTT card, it was the MicroSD card. I brought it back to the store where I bought it, and told him the story. He found it strange, since he said 'I sold 200 of these cards with no problem at all". What I didn't do was format the SD card and put the system files on it. He did it, put it in the DSTT card and put in HIS DS, and all worked fine.

Stupid on my part to stick the microSD card with nothing on it, but didn't think it would do something to my DS.

Bottomline, make sure your card is formatted with proper system files on it, just to be safe!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure your DS was bricked? Did you try removing the DSTT and start it up to see if it would go to the NDS menu?

If you insert the DSTT into your NDS without a microSD card at all, you will get a "No Card" icon. If you format a microSD card and insert it (without the firmware) into the DSTT you will get a "Menu?" icon.

I've never tried inserting an unformatted microSD card into the DSTT, but I don't know of any microSD cards that are sold unformatted. I seriously doubt that it would brick your NDS (you would probably get some sort of FAT error displayed by the DSTT).

The only way I know of that a DSTT could brick your NDS would be if the contacts were so far off that it caused a short (in which case it would blow the fuse of the NDS). There are variations in the contacts of different NDS's and I have heard of contact problems between a DSTT and one NDS but the DSTT works on another. So it's possible that your DSTT does have contact problems, but that they don't affect its operation with your newest NDS.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr