Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well, i'm starting to learn C++ (after so much procrastination
biggrin.gif
), and i need a compiler than can help get me to a start. i'm actually thinking of just getting microsoft visual c++.... but, i need some help choosing.

thanks in advance.

James B.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft Visual C++ should be great, I use it all the time. You just have to make sure you choose the correct project type when you start a new project.

It works, and it is good, and its what I used to start. :].

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Get DevC++ (www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html)
or Cygwin(http://cygwin.com/) and Code::Blocks(http://www.codeblocks.org/)..

Best free C++ IDE's that I know..

Of course you can also get MS Visual C++, but it's not free.. and IMHO, it has too much commodities, hence, it might end up training lazy programmers.. I wouldn't recommend it too beginners.. well.. just my opinion
tongue.gif

silent sniper

!dennaB
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hmmm, well, i've scanned through all the pages posted, and code::blocks is the most appealing, i'll give it a try.

edit: wait a minute it's not even released yet =\

so that means i'm going with the bloodshed one.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Of course you can also get MS Visual C++, but it's not free.. and IMHO, it has too much commodities, hence, it might end up training lazy programmers.. I wouldn't recommend it too beginners.. well.. just my opinion
tongue.gif
Visual C++ express edition is free, and offers a list of applicable commands when you make a period (and the format of said commands as you type it), making it easier to learn from using it. I've also heard some good things about Notepad++

Edit: coding in notepad is like writing essays in notepad. It's nice to have a 'spell check' and color coded commands (which most compilers have), like all 'if's and 'and's being colored green (which most compilers usually do)

kwerdenker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well, i'm starting to learn C++ (after so much procrastination
biggrin.gif
), and i need a compiler than can help get me to a start. i'm actually thinking of just getting microsoft visual c++.... but, i need some help choosing.

thanks in advance.

one thing first: don't confuse editors witch compilers. you use editors to write the code and compilers to compile that code into a program. integrated development environments (IDE) pack both things in a neat little package so it is easier to use.

i'll have to go with notnarb on this. if you are going to work on windows get the express version of visual studio c++ which is free. the intellisense feature (that the thing with the command options notnarb mentioned. though it uses it's full power with c# it's still a great help in c++) is one of the things i miss most in all the other IDE i had to work with.
though cockroachman does have a point. best way to learn programming is the hard way: linux, a text editor like vi and compiling through gcc over shell
wink.gif
. (don't laugh! i had to learn coding c that way at my university. since then i hate vi...)

if you rather have something not-microsoft or OS dependent you could use eclipse which can be configured through plugins to work with nearly any programming language there is. but since it's base on java it's sometimes slow as hell and often a pain in the ass to configure.

have fun learning coding!

p.s.: some sites you may want to bookmark. they were a great help when i was learning c++ and they still are. http://www.cppreference.com/ http://www.cplusplus.com/

franko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Visual C++ Express is free, a breeze to setup and has more than enough power for a beginner (My thought was: "I´ll use this until I outgrow it" but so far haven't gotten anywhere close to needing a different IDE/Compiler.) Plus Intellisense is quite a nice hand holder.

Big Recommendation from me.

Also, if you're trying to get started with NDS programming, here's a tutorial on how to create and compile projects for the NDS using Visual C++.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
tongue.gif

Visual C++ express edition is free, and offers a list of applicable commands when you make a period (and the format of said commands as you type it), making it easier to learn from using it. I've also heard some good things about Notepad++

I didn't knew that it was free.. I'll give it a try.. been doing a lot of windows programming lately..

And things like Intellisense and code correction are some of the commodities that I was referring to.. I've seen a lot of people out there that end up getting dependent on that kind of stuff.. put them on a Linux ambient where they have to use something like Emacs and GCC and know exactly what libraries they need to link, and they can't do nothing
tongue.gif

real_programmers.png

silent sniper

!dennaB
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Visual C++ Express is free, a breeze to setup and has more than enough power for a beginner (My thought was: "I´ll use this until I outgrow it" but so far haven't gotten anywhere close to needing a different IDE/Compiler.) Plus Intellisense is quite a nice hand holder.

Big Recommendation from me.Â

Also, if you're trying to get started with NDS programming, here's a tutorial on how to create and compile projects for the NDS using Visual C++.
wow, thanks. the tutorial should come in handy (homebrew is really the reason i'm getting into it)

now... i'm having some trouble choosing programs... i can't choose between this and Dev C++. i'm downloading both to test out. i'll post again later.

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I would go with Dev C++ since you would get whats its like to usually program in C++ (without all of the VS c++ libs) since you wouldn't use those in most cases ( most Universities use GCC and most companies don't use it as well )

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about the actual compiler for windows (I've never been completely happy with one), but Scite is a great editor.

I've heard good things about MSVC++ though. Express edition is free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol