Bye DSi :(

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by DSGamer64, Jul 17, 2009.

Jul 17, 2009

Bye DSi :( by DSGamer64 at 3:47 AM (2,353 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. DSGamer64
    OP

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Sent mine off to get repaired. But I have got to hand it to Nintendo, they have amazing customer service. The guy on the phone was great, sent me an email with postage instructions to send my DSi up to Scarborough to get repaired as the R button is completely screwed and I asked them to make sure the L button is working properly. If your DSi is under warranty, Nintendo does you one better by renewing your warranty from the date they recieve it for a whole year so even after I got mine on launch day, I get an extra few months of warranty just in case anything happens, plus they pay for shipment.

Gonna miss my DSi for about a week but Nintendo really has the best customer service that I have ever dealt with to be honest, they are patient, friendly and extremely helpful. I see so many people who bash them for the way they do things when it comes to producing consoles now but at least they keep up with good customer service. Last time I had to deal with them was roughly 10 years ago when my N64 power adapter fragged out on me and I sent the old one in and they gave me a new one and it is nice to see that their business practises from a customer service perspective have not changed since then.

2. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Much better than Microsoft- sent in a 360 for RRoD repair, got some falsified info about how the repairs were going, and sent it back saying I didn't qualify for the warranty, and didn't say why. I was well within 3 years or purchase, too.

3. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    It's great that Nintendo has a great customer service(though I haven't personally tried it since there's no official Nintendo establishment of any sort here).
    What I think is even better though is their product quality.
    When I had my little Gamecube, the poor thing fell to the floor 5+ times, and it never gave me a single problem.
    My DSlite has fallen 50+ times(OK I know it sounds surreal... but it's a true story.I just seem have a tendency to drop things OK [​IMG]?) and it's only flaw is the usual problem with the L button, which I can fix by blowing inside it.
    Finally my Wii has fallen twice, and it works like a charm!

4. Alato

Member Alato GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    My year old DS lite, third DS I've owned, has the infamous crack in it. Does it cost like 70$ to repair that?
    If so, I guess I'll probably just replace the shell myself. That's what I did with my old DS, but I got a faulty case, so the buttons don't push well. And the touch screen was broken, so it's not much use.

5. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    Nintendo's basically got a license to print money. They don't need to hire people to think up of excuses as to why they can't repair your system or charge you for it to make a few extra bucks, saying it was your fault or physical damage not covered by warranty.

And then there's Microsoft, who can't design a stable console so all the millions that came back to them they had to repair regardless. I've ripped warranty stickers off them just to see if Microsoft would repair them -- sure enough, they do. They can't afford any more bad rep. Nintendo however wants to keep theirs.

6. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Nintendo wants good rep, yes.
    They should have good support from what I hear everywhere else. They have to to stand out.
    BTW hankchill sorry about Rominator :/

7. DSGamer64
    OP

Canada
    Considering my DSi has slid off my bed about 20 times and whacked my night stand which is made of mohogany, and the stupid casing I got for it is a shitty Intec one that doesn't protect the shoulder buttons, I am not at all surprised that they broke. I don't think Nintendo has ever really had a bad service rep have they? I mean they aren't bastard American companies who outsource their customer service department to India just to save a buck like Toshiba does and I reckon considering how much money they rake in these days, they can still keep a good support center running and customers happy with warranty renewals, hell their products are cheap as dirt to fix anyway.

8. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    also if you buy a used console or handheld, odds are it isn't register on clubnintendo and that'll give it a 3 month warranty if you register it.
    i think that only applies to ds lites, dsi's and wii's not sure about the ds phat or gamecube though(doubt it).

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    so far my best customer crown goes to newegg
    they paid the shipping for a 30lb computer case which came damaged
    they sent a brand new case back and sent it overnight delivery (which is fairly expensive)

ive dealt with a few companies, (including nintendo)
    I called nintendo about a warrenty about a broken power switch on a regular GBA
    it was within the warranty period, but they said it wasnt covered and just hung up
    (I then took it to gamestop and sold it for $40 store credit, they didnt bother to check it if it works)

kingston, was fine, they were a bit slow though but they honored their warranty

MS wasnt that great, I didnt like the fact that had a to speak to an indain guy with a heavy accent and very broken english and they were fairly slow but got the job done eventually

10. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    DS lite shell replacment is a bastard, I brought one for around £13 on ebay with a laser effect blue cover, it's been fitted for over a year now and still going great. Since then I have also had to replace the touch screen @ £6, I broke the connector on the main PCB doing this and had to solder on one of the modified connectors from ebay @ £3, now that was an interesting job, you wouldn't believe how small those bloody connectors are. The modified connectors are much stronger and easier to use than the original ones. I guess this is what happens when you give your 2 year old DS to your 4 year old son.

Anyway, good luck with the fix and don't be scared off by 3rd party bits they work great. [​IMG]

11. DSGamer64
    OP

Canada
    Unfortunately the DS Lite and DSi are not as tank like in terms of indestructability, I think that crown goes to the Gameboy Colour imo, one of my friends got pushed into a pool when I was a kid and the damn thing still worked after we took a blow dryer to it (thank god for the clear purple casing so we could see if there was water in it still) and replaced the battery. Only the speaker had fraggeed but otherwise it was fine. The DS Phat was pretty indestructible, as was the GBA SP and at least Nintendo can easily fix their products without giving you a huge runaround.

12. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    The only weak part in the DSL is the hinge always keeps cracking.
    Other than that it is solid.

my friend dropped his PSP twice and it doesnt read UMDs.

13. Hardkaare

Member Hardkaare GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Since we are talking about build quality etc i thougt this vid could be funny

14. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon

Kind of similar to the above, just different gen of consoles.

On Topic: nice to hear that Nintendo has great Customer Service.

15. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    they need to test the optical drives, not just power

16. DSGamer64
    OP

Canada
    My first DS Lite which was white had the hinge crack, I lulz because it got stolen and I had used FlashMe on it. My 2nd one was black and never cracked even after being dropped numerous times, while my white one just cracked at random and I always kept it in a pouch.

17. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    I'm curious about these hinge cracks. My little sister's DSL cracked on the inside face where the LEDs are. The whole corner cracked off. It hadn't been abused but was more than a year old so no warranty on it. We even saw my Uncle in the week after it cracked (before we put her new gaudy yellow and quite low quality case in it) and my little cousin's pink DSL had done the same thing and been repaired with a piece of metal.
    Is that where these "infamous" crack's appear?

Oh and I love the indestructability of my DS Phat. The hinge only broke after a threw it against a wall by accident (threw it too hard) and the damn thing was STILL playable.

18. DSGamer64
    OP

Canada
    The hinge can crack anywhere, my DS Lite hinge cracking experience happened near the right shoulder button, just on the inside of the hinge near the microphone.

Good news is I got a replacement DSi, Nintendo just sent me a brand new one which I recieved this morning, I am surprised that it arrived before my M3i Zero

19. YankeeFan802

Member YankeeFan802 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Keep dropping and watch when your fan breaks, as your playing a game, it just turns off. Or, better yet, keep trying so you get a hardware failure.