Hacking Buying r4i sdhc, need help.

Saiyann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey all, my n3ds is on 9.0, and I'm using Reinand with menuhax, emunand is 10.5.
I want to buy a ds flashcart for it. Thinking about r4i sdhc from here : http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=146 .
I've seen many other carts as well... I'm not interested in cheats or saves (besides the in-game saves), would the one I linked suffice, or should I choose another?

A few questions regarding the card:
1. I couldn't find a guide as to how to run DS games with it. Their site says all I need to do is put roms on the SD card and plug it in... Is that all?
2. Does it require a seperate sd card? Anything else I should order with this?

Thanks.

W4T4R1

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Let's switch the order of answers:
2-You only need the flashcart and a microsd, which goes into the R4i flashcart
1-In order to play games, just download the flashcart kernel from their website (reported on the box an the flashcart itself), extract it on the MicroSD, then drop your games in the MicroSD and after that just play
As for the model of flashcart, R4is are all almost the same, there are just little difference in design and nothing else important

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's switch the order of answers:
2-You only need the flashcart and a microsd, which goes into the R4i flashcart
1-In order to play games, just download the flashcart kernel from their website (reported on the box an the flashcart itself), extract it on the MicroSD, then drop your games in the MicroSD and after that just play
As for the model of flashcart, R4is are all almost the same, there are just little difference in design and nothing else important
Actually there can be a difference in kernel and a few minor functions. Some cards can do RTS and others can't. In my experience some cards advertise they can do cheats but for some reason they don't work properly (cheat list shows up mostly corrupted, most cheats don't work, even though the exact same cheatlist works on other cards). Other than that they all at this point can play basically every DS game.
And in my opinion if you can get a card that can run r4wood that's usually the better choice. I didn't really like the UI on the r4i-sdhc. It just made the card feel cheap.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: W4T4R1 and olec04

W4T4R1

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually there can be a difference in kernel and a few minor functions. Some cards can do RTS and others can't. In my experience some cards advertise they can do cheats but for some reason they don't work properly (cheat list shows up mostly corrupted, most cheats don't work, even though the exact same cheatlist works on other cards). Other than that they all at this point can play basically every DS game.
And in my opinion if you can get a card that can run r4wood that's usually the better choice. I didn't really like the UI on the r4i-sdhc. It just made the card feel cheap.
Oh, my bad, i wasn't well informed :blush:

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, my bad, i wasn't well informed :blush:
It's all good. Just for information the main one I've tested that has problems (card freezing after only a month, corrupted and non-working cheats even with a working usrcheat file) was the r4isdhc (not the r4i-sdhc, which this card seems to poorly clone).

Pretty much any R4 card except the original is a clone, it's just whether it's a good clone.
And kernels between them all vary greatly, though they seem to fall into small groups where kernels can work between a few cards but not others. I used to recommend Acekard instead but at this point it's a dead card with no support and does not work on the latest firmware. Plus with a good card and r4wood (like the r4i Gold), at this point it's just as good as the Acekard 2i which sells for about the same price but does not support the latest firmware.
In the end most cards are actually very similar in that they can all play pretty much any DS rom, but some have more features and some are actually designed to die over time (the timebomb effect) so that you have to pay for another later (which makes no sense because to me I would just buy a new card...)
I only know this much because I tested a few cards before finally getting and sticking with the r4i Gold.

Reactions: W4T4R1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: yes? Interesting way to get Hi