Hacking Buying an exploitable O3DS - tips?

drakegraves

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to read all the stickies, pimp out google and ask questions on reddit, but I'm a little overwhelmed. I hope nobody minds giving me a rundown.

I was going to buy a Sky3ds to run backups, but I want to upgrade to an XL anyways...

I've found a few, they're system version 6.2.0-9U and 6.2.0-12U, then there's a 4.5.0-10U.

Is this enough information for me to go on if I want to install rxtools or emunand? If the system menu is that old, can I assume I can use browserhax?

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't use browserhax in firmwares less than 9.0 but you can use the web browser kernel exploit in all of them to exploit the system anyways.

All of them should be easy to exploit, buy the cheapest one.

The easiest one to exploit would be the 4.5 if you have a DS flashcart.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I've been trying to read all the stickies, pimp out google and ask questions on reddit, but I'm a little overwhelmed. I hope nobody minds giving me a rundown.

I was going to buy a Sky3ds to run backups, but I want to upgrade to an XL anyways...

I've found a few, they're system version 6.2.0-9U and 6.2.0-12U, then there's a 4.5.0-10U.

Is this enough information for me to go on if I want to install rxtools or emunand? If the system menu is that old, can I assume I can use browserhax?
You can use anything below 9.3. If it is 3.x or less, you'll need a game card to update to 4.x but other than that you'll be fine. If the browser version (the number after the dash but before the letter) is less than 7 but the firmware is 5.x or greater, you may have some extra difficulties.

Btw all o3DS and o3DSXL and non-limited edition 2DS new sealed in box are guaranteed exploitable.

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is how I obtain a 3ds XL with firmware 9.2 or lower for installing rxtools/emunand/gateway etc:

Go on craigslist and message every single seller on there and ask if there 3ds xl is available and what firmware it's on. If the seller doesn't know what firmware it's on, tell him/her to go to systems settings (wrench icon) and it will show on top screen. And don't bother with sky3ds, it's crap compare to gateway/cfw.

Last edited by cooroxd,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks! Man, I love it here.

How much more difficult? I don't mind spending days on modding a console, but I don't like having to spend any money on it.
This will only happen if someone had a console on 3.x or lower and then updated using a game cartridge to greater than 4.x and never performed an Internet update. It is not a common thing. It is more common when people want to mod their console on 3.x, know this firmware is too low, and then update past 4.x (where you can do anything you want without requiring a browser) with a game cartridge.

If you have a console on 3.x or lower, proper procedure is to update to 4.x with a cartridge (not higher!) then, if you want to update higher, do it properly with Sysupdater and devMode which gives you a higher browser version (updating wih a cartridge does not update your broader which is how they get in trouble - nearly all mods on greater than 4.x require a browser)

ExAqua

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually just went out and bought the limited edition Persona Q 3DS from GameStop this last weekend, it was an Old 3DS XL that had 8.1 on it out of the box, I set it up to use RxTools fairly easily. Surprisingly the Persona Q 3DS wasn't that popular so a lot of GameStops still have them, it cost about $160. I do own a copy of Cubic Ninja so setting up CFW was rather easy on it, here is a link to the guide I used it was vary helpful and list several different methods based on what entry points you have access to [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

drakegraves

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw all o3DS and o3DSXL and non-limited edition 2DS new sealed in box are guaranteed exploitable.
I actually just went out and bought the limited edition Persona Q 3DS from GameStop this last weekend, it was an Old 3DS XL that had 8.1 on it out of the box,

Wait, it took a minute for that to sink in - I can buy a NEW xl from gamestop and it's exploitable? How does one make sure, is there a pack date or something?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Wait, it took a minute for that to sink in - I can buy a NEW xl from gamestop and it's exploitable? How does one make sure, is there a pack date or something?
Old 3ds or old 3ds xl, not "new" 3DS! You probably just meant "brand new" though. Nintendo's stupid naming ideas...

Old 3DS/XL stopped being produced at firmware 8.1. That's the highest you'll see one out of the box. Only new 3DS will have firmware 9.0 or higher out of the box.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: ExAqua

ExAqua

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is where Nintendo's naming system makes things difficult. You can go out right now and just about all "Old" 3DS XLs will have <9.2

edit: excluding used 3DS when resellers reformat it for sale they update the firmware. It has to be "new in box unopened"

Last edited by ExAqua,
Reactions: Quantumcat

drakegraves

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably just meant "brand new" though.
That I did!
You can go out right now and just about all "Old" 3DS XLs will have <9.2
so limited edition 3DS is okay right?

Also, just so i'm 100% SURE before I do this: Loading pastacwf or rxtools in emunand will let me play 3DS game backups by convering them to unsigned code and installing them.

Is that true?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
That I did!

Also, just so i'm 100% SURE before I do this: Loading pastacwf or rxtools in emunand will let me play 3DS game backups by convering them to unsigned code and installing them.

Is that true?
Pasta and RxTools will let you install games in .cia format and play them. Games in .3ds format are for Gateway. However it is easy to convert .3ds to .cia. You can dump your cartridges into .3ds and convert them to .cia to install on your console.

All limited edition old 3DS/3DS XL are fine. I said no limited edition 2DS, but that was only because of the new Yokai Watch bundle. All other limited edition 2DS are fine (to be sure you can check that the copyright date is 2014 or earlier).

Edit: noticed you said emuNAND. Pasta only works in sysNAND, just FYI (you don't want to use it as an everyday thing as it is dangerous to install random stuff on your sysNAND)

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: ExAqua

drakegraves

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. I know this information is available, I haven't had so much trouble using the search feature in the past. Not sure why I'm so overwhelmed with this. Do you find that this is more sophisticated than say the PSP or the Wii or PS2 was to softmod? I breezed through those, but I may have hit them much later in their lifetimes once there were idiot-proof installers etc.

I remember waaaay back in the day I came up with my own way of playing PS1 backups. I know now that others figured it out too, but I did it before I had heard of anyone else doing it. Best day of my LIFE.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you. I know this information is available, I haven't had so much trouble using the search feature in the past. Not sure why I'm so overwhelmed with this. Do you find that this is more sophisticated than say the PSP or the Wii or PS2 was to softmod? I breezed through those, but I may have hit them much later in their lifetimes once there were idiot-proof installers etc.

I remember waaaay back in the day I came up with my own way of playing PS1 backups. I know now that others figured it out too, but I did it before I had heard of anyone else doing it. Best day of my LIFE.
I found the Wii too hard and paid someone to mod mine. I have been tearing my hair out with my Vita - got it two months ago and still haven't managed to get the mod working. Haven't ever tried PSP or PS2. I find the 3DS easy, but I started when Gateway was the only way, and learned about each new development as it came along, so little bits at a time. I think that makes a difference. Someone coming into it now, there's a huge amount of stuff to cover that all achieves different things.

ExAqua

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That I did!

Is that true?
Pasta and RxTools will let you install games in .cia format and play them. Games in .3ds format are for Gateway. However it is easy to convert .3ds to .cia. You can dump your cartridges into .3ds and convert them to .cia to install on your console.

All limited edition old 3DS/3DS XL are fine. I said no limited edition 2DS, but that was only because of the new Yokai Watch bundle. All other limited edition 2DS are fine (to be sure you can check that the copyright date is 2014 or earlier).

Edit: noticed you said emuNAND. Pasta only works in sysNAND, just FYI (you don't want to use it as an everyday thing as it is dangerous to install random stuff on your sysNAND)

Trying to just add to the conversation with out stepping on Quantumcat's toes, they seem to have summed everything up pretty well for you so all I can do is just plug that Guide I linked in my first post. It has some good links to other threads about using custom firmware like differences between sysNAND and emuNAND, should you unlink them, updating emuNAND without updating sysNAND, how to set up your system to always boot into emuNAND. Its was the easiest one I found for me to follow and making sure you understand what you are doing is the best way to minimize risks.

drakegraves

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually just went out and bought the limited edition Persona Q 3DS from GameStop this last weekend, it was an Old 3DS XL

That's so weird. I'm on Gamestop's website, and I can't find a NEW (unopened) O3DSXL. They all say unavailable online, and no matter what zip code i put in it doesn't find any. jOj I'm so sad. I guess Nintendo probably doesn't ship them to Gamestop anymore

ExAqua

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's so weird. I'm on Gamestop's website, and I can't find a NEW (unopened) O3DSXL. They all say unavailable online, and no matter what zip code i put in it doesn't find any. jOj I'm so sad. I guess Nintendo probably doesn't ship them to Gamestop anymore

Yes, you would have to go to an actual GameStop. I have 5 in my town all of them had some of the persona Q 3ds, the closest one had about 4 left and 2 of them had the Retro 3DS all still "new in box" so you may have to do some shopping around or call the stores nearest to you and confirm their stock.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
If it was not stated already: New ones with copyright year 2013,2014 and 2013-2015 (Like the tomodachi life + pink 2ds bundle), Used ones just ask the pawn shop employee for a system below 9.2, they usually don't give a damn.

The way to go with them is somewhat this:
1. Try to install rxtools or update to 9.2 through a) browserhax if working or b) MSET exploit if not
1b. Install rxtools for 9.2 if you updated
2. Get your favourite flavor of cia installer to emunand or Install the hblauncherloader cia from yellows8.
3. Install your cias with your cia installer or FBI in homebrew launcher.
Optional: Setup coldboot if you updated to 9.2

Protip: hblauncherloader uses a different payload than homemenuhax, so you can (carefully) modify it to launch another filename rather than boot.3dsx and let homemenuhax boot rxtools directly. It's some milliseconds faster y'know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun