Hardware Buying a PSVITA, things I should be worried about?

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found a good deal on a Vita with a bunch of games:
Madden 2013
F1 2011
Call of duty black ops
Motor storm RC
Resistance: burning skies
Wipeout 2048
Ninja gaiden plus
Gravity rush
Tom blitz
Unit 13
Big sky infinity
Hustle kings
Sine mora
Rocket birds HBC
MLB 2013 the show

on a 16GB memory card for $150. This is going to be my first ever Vita and I had some questions about owning one:

1. If the games are on the memory card, are they linked with the seller's Playstation ID? Could he potientally screw me over in terms of needing his account to play the games?

2. I read from WiiUbricker's threads that the OLED screen doesn't last long, does that mean there's a lifetime of the Vita?

3. I was wanting to see I can modify Vita saves via hex-editing like with BFSD on the PS3, is it possible?

4. Are there any good cases for the Vita I should pick up?

Thanks for looking and helping!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
1. The games will be linked with the sellers PSN ID, so you would only be able to play the games offline (as long as you don't have the sellers password, and I see a couple PS+ games on that list which means if his PS+ runs out then you won't be able to play those games).

2. OLED screens don't last as long as LED or LCD, but in the Vita's case this shouldn't be a problem at all. Generally the problem with OLEDs are they are fairly susceptible to burn in, which only happens when a stationary image is displayed on the screen for too long. In the Vita's case, this isn't a problem (since icons constantly "wiggle" on the home screen, there's an idle standby time that can't be turned off, and when playing games you're not going to come across a stationary image for more than a couple seconds). If you are actively trying to ruin your Vita's screen, then yes it's possible to shorten it's lifespan. Otherwise, it'll last you years.

3. No.

4. I myself wouldn't know, I don't generally use cases.

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. The games will be linked with the sellers PSN ID, so you would only be able to play the games offline (as long as you don't have the sellers password, and I see a couple PS+ games on that list which means if his PS+ runs out then you won't be able to play those games).

2. OLED screens don't last as long as LED or LCD, but in the Vita's case this shouldn't be a problem at all. Generally the problem with OLEDs are they are fairly susceptible to burn in, which only happens when a stationary image is displayed on the screen for too long. In the Vita's case, this isn't a problem (since icons constantly "wiggle" on the home screen, there's an idle standby time that can't be turned off, and when playing games you're not going to come across a stationary image for more than a couple seconds). If you are actively trying to ruin your Vita's screen, then yes it's possible to shorten it's lifespan. Otherwise, it'll last you years.

3. No.

4. I myself wouldn't know, I don't generally use cases.

how can you assume he gott em from ps plus, he couldve bought them

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm assuming the saves are protected so that any sort of editing of them wouldn't work? I'll check in with him about the games on the vita and make sure things go okay

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Is it possible to have multiple PSN's on the same Vita like with the PS3?

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My last question about the games being linked to his PSN is could he change the information so that my email and info could replace his and I have ownership of the games?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My last question about the games being linked to his PSN is could he change the information so that my email and info could replace his and I have ownership of the games?
You can't change e-mail information on PSN, it's permanently linked to prevent account theft or something. He'd literally have to give you his e-mail login credentials.

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright he updated me with some info:

There not all bought with my playstation plus account I believe only one or two are the others Are all bought with a credit card

Yeah I guess his auto correct screwed up what he wanted to say lol. So the games linked with his account are probably useless to me but the games he bought with his credit card are the games in which I wouldn't need to renew again or?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alright he updated me with some info:

There not all bought with my playstation plus account I believe only one or two are the others Are all bought with a credit card
Yeah I guess his auto correct screwed up what he wanted to say lol. So the games linked with his account are probably useless to me but the games he bought with his credit card are the games in which I wouldn't need to renew again or?
PSPlus games will stop functioning once his subscription runs out, games bought on PSN will continue functioning, all games will cease to function if you change the account tied with the system.

Reactions: VLinh

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PSPlus games will stop functioning once his subscription runs out, games bought on PSN will continue functioning, all games will cease to function if you change the account tied with the system.

Thanks for the help Foxi, really want to make sure I don't get screwed over with the games. When I go meet him, is there a way to ensure which games are bought with PSPlus and which games are bought with credit card?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks for the help Foxi, really want to make sure I don't get screwed over with the games. When I go meet him, is there a way to ensure which games are bought with PSPlus and which games are bought with credit card?
Games that are from PSPlus will have an expiration date attached to them on their Information screen. To enter it, hold down your finger on the screen to enter page management, click on the ellipsis symbol on a given icon and press Information.

ZvZi782.jpg

Reactions: VLinh

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Games that are from PSPlus will have an expiration date attached to them on their Status screen. To enter it, hold down your finger on the screen to enter page management, click on the ellipsis symbol on a given icon and press Information.

ZvZi782.jpg

Alright, think I have all the information I need now. Again, thanks again for everything! Any other tips you might have on buying a vita used would be appreciated!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alright, think I have all the information I need now. Again, thanks again for everything! Any other tips you might have on buying a vita used would be appreciated!
Ask him to give you his PSN password - it's better than nothing. As soon as you're done playing those games, make your own PSN account and buy a PSPlus subscription - the service gives you lots of games for free as long as you're a subscriber, so it's a fantastic deal. This month it's Soul Sacrifice as far as I remember. Get on-board that Plus ship as fast as possible, otherwise you're really missing out on great deals. Alternatively, make a PSN account for future use if you want to grab Soul Sacrifice already - the games do expire, but they can be re-activated later on and the sub is cheap as dirt.

So basically all the games will have an expiry date or just the ones bought with PSPlus?
Only PSPlus games
"expire", but they can be re-activated by extending the PSPlus subscription. Naturally, you don't want to extend someone else's subscription, which is why I'm recommending you to procure a second PSN account, even if you won't be using it for now, going through whatever interests you in his games and just switching to your own account while keeping his credentials stashed for future use.

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would you guys think that its reasonable to offer a lower price for the Vita since basically most of the games aren't mine but the owner's? There are only 4 physical games that he has and there not that good

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
$150 for a PSVita with a 16GB memory card and a couple games on his account is already fair game in my opinion, but you can try to haggle. I'm not really familiar with the pricing in Canada, but that's about as much as you'd pay for one like that here, if not a bit more.

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
$150 for a PSVita with a 16GB memory card and a couple games on his account is already fair game in my opinion, but you can try to haggle. I'm not really familiar with the pricing in Canada, but that's about as much as you'd pay for one like that here, if not a bit more.

Well he has four physical games in which I could trade in to get another game such as Persona 4 Golden :lol: but I fear the trade-in values of F1 2011, MLB 13 The Show, Resistance, Madden 13 will be basically nothing so I was hoping maybe offering him some but I know he'll not want to try to sell the games separately as it can be difficult.

Thanks for the advice though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo