Buying a psp and need some help!

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by 3020, Dec 23, 2008.

Dec 23, 2008
  1. 3020
    OP

Member 3020 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hey can someone please tell me where to check on the box for the motherboard version and where it also shows the firmware letter. Also how can you tell if it's a new box style? I already looked through the forums but couldn't find any pictures or descriptions for where the motherboard version was located on the box.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help [​IMG]

P.S: Can you get a modable psp at places such as best buy and futureshop?

2. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    [​IMG]

See where the I is? That's the firmware version (for Phats). Disregard the Phat's letter, the Slim uses a new letter type. Basically, anything below G on a 2000 is awesome. If it's G, then you gotta check the date code to see. This implies letting the employees open the box for you (say you wanna test it out to see if it works and so on), open the battery cover, and look at the DATE CODE. If it's BELOW (NOT EQUAL OR HIGHER, BELOW) 8C, it's a hackable PSP. If not, don't bother, it's confirmed TA88v03.

Hope I helped.

P.S. In regards to your last question, I do not know, since I live in Portugal and we don't have those stores here. However, if you can get an old bundle (such as Daxter), then that's awesome, because if it looks dusty on the store, it's generally an early PSP 2000 and hackable.

3. 3020
    OP

Member 3020 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Thank you very much [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So anything below G, as in H, I, J, K , L? And also for the date code, what would be considered below?

Sorry for all the questions I just really want to be certain the psp I buy is hackable.

4. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    eBay is a good place to buy moddable psps. Basically any PSP off eBay is moddable as I'm pretty sure not many 3000's and TA-88v3 are up on there.