Buying a PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Anubis, Jan 21, 2011.

Jan 21, 2011

Buying a PS3 by Anubis at 4:00 AM (1,227 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Anubis
    OP

Member Anubis GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Alright, so, even though I plan on buying a few original games for the PS3 I still plan on running "backups".
    I've read the FAQ but I still have a few questions.

1. If I don't plan on using a CFW (for now) which JB USB (pre-made) device is the best?

2. How's the compatibility for that device? (percentage would be nice)

3. I plan on buying a Slim, is every Slim model compatible with these devices?

4. If I run a new game I'm guessing it will try to update to a current OFW, does the device take care of that at all?

5. I've read different comments on this, but, do I need to plug in the device every time I turn on my console or can I just leave it in and "backups" always work.

6. From where should I import my device considering I live in Europe (cheapest and most legit one)?

I know these questions are probably already around the board somewhere and I promise I did try looking for them but there are so many threads it's hard to find them.

Thank you so much.

2. shanefromoz

Member shanefromoz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    1/. I use the ps3key which i find perfect.
    2/. Never had an issue with any game not working.
    3/. Every slim is compatabile as long as its not above firmware 3.41.
    4/. You go to the ps3key website and grab a firmware upgrade that makes the ps3 think its on 3.55 which is the latest.
    5/. I leave my ps3key in always and just press power then eject when the ps3 starts.
    6/. Not sure just check around sorry.

Cheers

3. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Or you can just use kmeaw's CFW (no reported bricks so far) which unlike some others (like the risky waninkoko's) lets you change the payload without reflashing.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Compatability with jailbreak devices is around 95%. EDIT: Also, jailbreak devices have been banned from most countries in Europe, but they're legal in Spain. Try spanish websites.

A few bricks have been reported for kmeaw's CFW, but they've been attributed to user error (installed with the PS3 in the wrong state).

5. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Theres no point in jailbreaking anymore; resellers are stuck with those device.

If you really really want to jailbreak go in WTB section and ask someone from portugal that want to sell you a jailbreak device for cheap i am sure there will be a few people...

6. Lassik

Newcomer Lassik Advanced Member

United States
    Like Magsor said. There really is NO POINT in jailbreaking or using any of those USB devices anymore. Now that the master keys are out it's just a matter of everything getting signed with them that needs to be. I would honestly go with CFW if you're that interested in doing it right now.

Personally I'm going to be buying a new PS3 soon and once a signed loader is released with a good compatibility rate comes out i'm just going to use that. No need for CFW or a usb loader that way...

7. Anubis
    OP

Portugal
    Thanks guys, but since there are still a few reports of bricks and since the compatibility is lower than with JB devices I'd rather just spend 10-15€ on one for now.I'm still a bit confused on some of my questions like the "can it stay in the whole time one" so another input would be really nice.

8. Originality

United Kingdom
    I've been hearing lots of things, but overall compatability with kmeaw's CFW is supposed to be 85-90%. That's high enough to make it worth ditching jailbreak devices completely.

9. Anubis
    OP

Portugal
    Is Slim and Phat the same when it comes to CFW?

10. Magsor

Canada
    YES

Just wait a few more days. Waninikokos firmware has only been out since last monday. Updates are by the hour not days. Stable firmware/higher compatibility is a matter of days theres a lot of people out there testing it out. I think you can wait just a few days... wanin v2 and hermes is coming out today.

If you want to debate the slim vs. Fat that another story I cannot get into because I never owned a FAT but a lot of people here has had both...

11. Anubis
    OP

Portugal
    One more question, since some games need to be transferred to an internal HD and the Slim already comes with a 160GB HD, can I just use that one?

12. Originality

United Kingdom
    Yes, that's kinda the whole point - installing to the internal HDD and loading from that, or loading from the external if you're running out of space.

13. Magsor

Canada
    The size of the HDD does not matter because its really really really easy to change it. I have seen a compatible 500gb HDD for 50$.

14. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    A thought. Should I rush buying a PS3 now that Sony is (most likely) taking measures? How likely is it that the new models will have some new protection? I figure they won't but I'm curious about your thoughts nevertheless.

15. Magsor

Canada
    No rush. We will know when the new hardware comes out (if it does) and you will have plenty of time to pickup yours because common mortals don't care about jailbreaking.

16. Originality

United Kingdom
    Even when new hardware comes out, it takes a while for shops to clear their stock of older hardware before they start selling the newer stuff. You'll have plenty of time.

Also, "mortals"?