Button Problems with Water Damaged DS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Satirical, Aug 19, 2011.

Aug 19, 2011
  1. Satirical
    OP

Newcomer Satirical Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Just wondering if anyone has any useful advice for me, a few days ago I decided to clean my DS with a damp qtip, I cleaned the dpad and the shoulder buttons, I fear I may have used too much water though or maybe a little bit dripped inside but basically now it turns on perfectly fine and the buttons work fine, but when I press Left it also presses the L button.

In Castlevania I'll move left but simultaneously press L and backdash, needless to say it's aggrevating.

So what should I do? Could there still be water that needs to evaporate? Or is it just messed up forever?

I was thinking of just getting a 3DS.

Thanks.

2. tiggerlator

Member tiggerlator GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Just get a 3ds and be done with it [​IMG] i just sold my dsi and got one, dont regret it.

3. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    well to be honest, the L button and the left button of the dpad are quite a few inches appart, i dont believe there is any actual way for water to cause this kind of problem
    i mean really, specially not, if all you used was a qtip.
    maybe a button would end up less responsive, but coupling it with another one... no

anyway, you might wanna try taking a bowl, filling it with rice (uncoocked of course) and put the ds in there. if theres water in it, it might help

4. Satirical
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well, something I didn't mention because I was in a hurry whilst posting the thread was that I was dipping the qtips in a glass of water and I had to lift the glass up to get the water high enough to dip the qtip in, and I ended up tipping it enough that water fell on the front of the ds. a very small amount, on the dpad. My DS was off of course, and I IMMEDIATELY turned it upside down and didn't turn it on for at least 6 hours. I would've left it for longer but I didn't think there would be any damage.

I hope to salvage it because if I do I can use it to update my AK2i firmware.

5. claudekennilol

Member claudekennilol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For future cleaning endeavors, use rubbing alcohol, not water.. And like he said, uncooked rice will absorb moisture from its container. So put your ds in a sealed container with uncooked rice overnight while you're sleeping and see what happens in the morning when you turn it on.

6. Satirical
    OP

United Kingdom
    I would have used rubbing alcohol, didn't have any in the house and my shoulder buttons were feeling stiff, last time I used a qtip as a last-minute fix it worked fine, so I tried it again.

I can't do it tonight as my DS is in the other bedroom, but in the morning I'll put it in and leave it there for a day or two.

Should the DS be open or closed? I don't mean disassembled of course, but unfolded or folded?

Thanks for the advice.

7. tiggerlator

Member tiggerlator GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Leave it open/unfolded

8. Satirical
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well so far no luck, it hasn't worked for me. I'll leave it till tomorrow and if it doesn't work then I guess I can only do two more things, the first is open it up and take a look inside, the second is to just use it to patch my Acekard 2i or something.

I could probably send it to Nintendo to fix it actually, I'm not sure. Probably isn't worth it though, ah well, I'll just have to wait for my 3DS [​IMG]

9. Satirical
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well it has semi-fixed itself, it will rarely press the L button now and only when I hammer the Dpad, but I already have my 3DS, so I'll be able to play 2 player games and other things [​IMG].

10. Immortal_no1

Member Immortal_no1 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    A similar issue occurred on one of chinese electronic devices, needless to say it was annoying. Yes you should have used an alcohol based cleaning solution,however since you have used water there is really only 2 things you can do. 1. As suggested put it in a bowl of dry rice for a couple of days. Or 2. If you're comfortable with taking it apart then do so and use a hair dryer set to medium and gently dry the board, don't get it too hot and make sure the ds is sitting flat on the table surface as you don't want any board warping. The latter method worked for me on the first try, but be gentle with it.

11. claudekennilol

Member claudekennilol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you're not happy with how it's working, I suggest what Immortal_no1 suggested. Since you've got something (your 3ds) to use in case you screw up your old DS (which won't happen as long as you're careful), there's no problem in trying to fix it yourself. It'll be fun to know what's in your system, and if you do it and feel comfortable enough doing it, you'll be able to move on to harder stuff in the future.

12. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    Yeah i have a similar problem 2 months ago my mom threw water at me to get me off the ds [​IMG] and it went all over my ds. i got it off and lucily it was still working. only problem was that the l button got messed up now sometimes the l button doesn't work at all and sometimes i have to press very hard and somethimes its normal