OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, my friend got some DVD-r's the other day so we could burn and play some old GameCube games on the Wii, and his works fine, because he's got the original white 2006-2007 Wii. But I have the red Wii. Got it for Christmas. And because it's a newer model, it can't read burned games since Nintendo caught on (
glare.gif
) and I can't play burned games on my Wii naturally. I'm on 4.3, it's fully hacked, HBC, USB Loaders, all the good stuff, but is there anything I can do to get a burned disc to work on my Wii other than hard-modding the disc drive? I wouldn't trust myself with that at all, or anyone else.

JsdMaNintendo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ato Puro said:
Play GC games on Dolphin, perhaps?

(Are emulators considered "bad" in GBATemp?)

Unfortunately that's out of the question. :/ I don't have what you might call a "good" computer. It just works. That's it. And I don't think they are. Not sure.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If all you want is to play gamecube backups, you could get one of these to play some gamecube backups with sd-boot, and you will be able to play more once swiss is released.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:
I was looking into that app a while back. Why do you need SD Gecko? I got an External HDD so I wouldn't plan on loading form SD.

Because when Wii enters on GC mode it loses access to USB ports. The only way to access data is via Memory Card slot. SD Gecko is the cheapest option (and SD-Boot/Swiss supports SHDC cards).

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yuan said:
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:
I was looking into that app a while back. Why do you need SD Gecko? I got an External HDD so I wouldn't plan on loading form SD.

Because when Wii enters on GC mode it loses access to USB ports. The only way to access data is via Memory Card slot. SD Gecko is the cheapest option (and SD-Boot/Swiss supports SHDC cards).
Oh... Is there an SD Gecko-like device that connects to USB? I don't want to lose access to my hard drive.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:

Oh... Is there an SD Gecko-like device that connects to USB? I don't want to lose access to my hard drive.

No. But what is the problem? You will only lose access to it when enter in GC mode.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yuan said:
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:

No. But what is the problem? You will only lose access to it when enter in GC mode.
Fair enough. GCN Iso's are like 1.7 GB. Could I use the SD Gecko to mod my Gamecube actually?

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No. Gamecube can't be softmodded. You will either need a modchip or a disc with directory listing (like action replay).

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yuan said:
No. Gamecube can't be softmodded. You will either need a modchip or a disc with directory listing (like action replay).
Really? My bro borrowed his friends Gamecube a while back. When you booted it up it went to an alternate menu, not the default Gamecube startup.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:
Really? My bro borrowed his friends Gamecube a while back. When you booted it up it went to an alternate menu, not the default Gamecube startup.

He had a modchip, like a qoob or Viper.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
thesund0g said:
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:

Modchips change the system menu? Huh. Alright then.

cojiro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
thesund0g said:
8BitWalugi said:
Yuan said:

Modchips change the system menu? Huh. Alright then.
Qoob and viper and ninjamod "inject" a new BIOS. That replaces the system menu on boot (similar to how most xbox1 mods works).
Other drive chips (xenogc and DuoQ) are drivemods similar to wii modchips and do not touch the BIOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans