Bungie Reveals Its "Destiny"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bungie split from Microsoft some time ago, and after creating the tremendously popular Halo franchise, their next project has been the source of much speculation. While some details and art has been leaked in the past, Bungie has just officially unveiled the project.

“We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people,” Jones continued. “We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard, and now nobody plays [first-person shooters] the old way anymore because they don’t want to.

“[So] how do we take this genre that we love so much and turn it on its head?”

Destiny’s answer is to offer a quasi-massively multiplayer sci-fi experience (they call it a “shared world shooter”) that is fully playable by yourself, but designed to seamlessly connect you with friends. “We built this game from the ground up to be social and cooperative,” Jones reinforced. Is Destiny an MMOFPS? Sort of. Is there a subscription fee? No, emphasized Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg. Does it require an Internet connection in order to play? Yes.
arrow.gif
IGN

Yeah, yeah, I know it's IGN, but the article is definitely worth a read if you're interested in this project - it goes into more depth on the game and Bungie's design philosophy.

I guess it's fitting that company like Bungie is taking such a wild leap. While I appreciate their strong connection to their fanbase, I can't say I've been all that impressed with them as developers. Now that they're undertaking a project as massive as this, I'm definitely skeptical that they can pull it off. There's a lot of potential for greatness... and for great failure. No amount of Reggie-quoting can change that.

Still, it's encouraging to see that they're not resting on their laurels. They could have easily made any sort of shooter - but instead, they went with the pick of Destiny.

We'll find out for ourselves when Destiny is released for the Xbox 360, PS3, and "future generation consoles" sometime in the near future.

Reactions: Brian117 and ekko25

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People give Halo a lot more shit than it deserves. I'm not saying Halo deserves no shit, it has its flaws, but they're generally well constructed games and I feel Bungie cares for them. That being said, I've never really been huge into the franchise but I think as a dev they have talent.

I'll keep an eye out for this although I'm not huge on FPS games. I'm not really opposed to them but they're just not my thing.

Reactions: Sagat

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting but seems to recycle some ideas from Halo as well as general design. When it works so well why change it though? It's distinct enough though and there's a few things I'm intrigued by in it. However...

We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard, and now nobody plays [first-person shooters] the old way anymore because they don’t want to.

GTFO. No Bungie. Mouse+Keyboard still works way better. Gives me much quicker weapon access, more weapons to access and is a LOT more accurate.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GTFO. No Bungie. Mouse+Keyboard still works way better. Gives me much quicker weapon access, more weapons to access and is a LOT more accurate.

I think their point was more that Halo really helped popularize the idea of a console FPS. That's why there's so many of them nowadays. Take that positively or negatively.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting but seems to recycle some ideas from Halo as well as general design. When it works so well why change it though? It's distinct enough though and there's a few things I'm intrigued by in it. However...

There are still a LOT (read:millions) of people who prefer to use two sticks instead.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Depending on the person. For me I can't play FPS with mouse and keyboard and thinks it's absolute shit.

But when they say "nobody" they don't mean literally. Majority of people who play FPS games play on consoles.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So.. kinda like Planetside 2?

Please be on PC.. Please be on PC..

It doesn't actually look like the kind of game that would be going on the PS3 and 360 that's for sure.

Also, this quote is absolute bullshit if I ever heard it:

“We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people,” Jones continued. “We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard, and now nobody plays [first-person shooters] the old way anymore because they don’t want to.

Yes, because that is why PC shooters like Team Fortress 2 and Counterstrike are still wildly popular? Only console fanboys play shooters with a controller, if you make a game for a PC it has to work with both options, though I would assume that at least 90% of PC gamer's won't use a controller for a shooter.

I think their point was more that Halo really helped popularize the idea of a console FPS. That's why there's so many of them nowadays. Take that positively or negatively.

Ahem...does Goldeneye not ring any bells? Halo basically took the whole concept of a console FPS and made it use a dual analog control stick configuration, something earlier shooters for consoles like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark did not have.

Still, this game could be pretty sick if they do it right. I am interested to see what becomes of it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahem...does Goldeneye not ring any bells? Halo basically took the whole concept of a console FPS and made it use a dual analog control stick configuration, something earlier shooters for consoles like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark did not have.

Goldeneye actually isn't that great, it was just a solid console FPS when there were literally none. I mean you had that, Perfect Dark a few years later, and like Medal of Honor on the PSX. It wasn't necessarily what made console FPS games popular.

EDIT: For comparison computer FPS games like Half Life and its little known mod Counterstrike were leaps and bounds ahead of console FPS games. Halo made that gap a bit smaller.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Goldeneye actually isn't that great, it was just a solid console FPS when there were literally none. I mean you had that, Perfect Dark a few years later, and like Medal of Honor on the PSX. It wasn't necessarily what made console FPS games popular.

EDIT: For comparison computer FPS games like Half Life and its little known mod Counterstrike were leaps and bounds ahead of console FPS games. Halo made that gap a bit smaller.

I don't disagree, but so many people (fanboys mainly) act like Halo was God's gift to console shooters, when there were some really good games that pre-dated it by a few years.

Hopefully Bungie puts out a product that doesn't become a bunch of recycled generic nonsense though, hopefully Destiny is actually something that both console and PC gamer's alike will want to play. If they choose the multiplatform route, I'd love to see cross platform play for once, something that I dislike about the huge disconnect between consoles and PC right now from an online community perspective.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a fan of interesting ideas I can certainly say I will note what goes here.

On a different note look what you bastards did to young Guild - he was once a proud "spade is a spade" type but there are enough prefaces and weasel phrasing there to make someone that starts every other sentence with "I'm not racist but" blush.

People give Halo a lot more shit than it deserves. I'm not saying Halo deserves no shit, it has its flaws, but they're generally well constructed games and I feel Bungie cares for them. That being said, I've never really been huge into the franchise but I think as a dev they have talent.

I'll keep an eye out for this although I'm not huge on FPS games. I'm not really opposed to them but they're just not my thing.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people,” Jones continued. “We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard, and now nobody plays [first-person shooters] the old way anymore because they don’t want to."
....What?!?!

Reactions: Wizerzak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over