Building a Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Rock Raiyu, Apr 19, 2009.

Apr 19, 2009

Building a Computer by Rock Raiyu at 8:54 PM (1,995 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Well I'm going to be bored this summer. My original plan was to go to New York for the summer but now that's a dud. I was really looking forward to that trip, so I'm going to be stuck at home during the summer working. I'll be getting a job soon. So again, I'm going to be bored so I thought I'd do a little project: Making a desktop computer.

This is the motherboard I'm looking at right now:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813188043

I know there are some stuff I forgot and I can't remember right now. So, I need helping building it and deciding the best component at an affordable price range (I'm not exactly making a $2000 desktop lol) So help would be really appreciative. [​IMG]

2. Omega_2

Member Omega_2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    From a crazy fox to a silly Raiyu:

Main rule to remember, is to know your cash limits/budget. How much will you have available for the parts? Will you be able to be flexible in case the part you want/need is unavailable, and you'll have to settle for a slightly more expensive one?

*RAM*
    You need good quality ram to work with,[has to be compatible with the motherboard, in terms of [​IMG]] DDR2 is the standard, but DDR3 is something new and nice [​IMG].

*Power*
    The PSU [Power supply unit]: the higher the Watt rating, the better, especially if you're planning to incorporate SLI 700watts is good for 2 gfx cards, [the system needs to be able to draw the power to pull off those barrel rolls [​IMG]]

You're on your own on software [​IMG]
    I'm sure you're getting help from IRC, so I'll just stop 'helping' here XD

3. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
  4. Omega_2

Member Omega_2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    make sure the ram is going to work with the motherboard. besides that, looking good

5. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Yes it will, its a 780i [​IMG]

Well what can you upgrade, if i were you, get rid of the 9600GT and go for 2 8800GT's in Sli, inaddtion to that, go for the 680i SLi Mobotherboard, the Main difference is the 680i and only handle Sli, as apposed to the 780i which can take Tri-SLi, but by the looks of things you only want 1 and maybe even 2 GPU's. SO My advice is as follows:

Get rid of the 780i, and the 9600GT
    Get a 680i instead
    Get 2 8800GT's or maybe even 2 GTS's

[​IMG]

Well that's my opinion, and trust me that's a good rig, and i'm guessing you don't really want something extreme as in price and power.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    raidmax doesnt make good power supply's, they tend to have a very short life span

8GB of ram is overkill, geil isnt exactly a top ram maker either

for $10 less then that current video card you can get a 4830 which has the same performance of the 9800GT for a fraction of the price (best bang for the buck)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102822

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    First question is what do you have? this includes an old CRT kicking around that you do not mind using for a month or two while you save up some more (bad monitors are not the way to do).

Second is are you planning on overclocking and if so by how much?

Regarding that board it is a damn nice board although I can not see the need for three 16x PCIe slots unless you are building a monster machine (two card SLI is nice but the extra for a PSU to handle it is not, three card is even worse).
    The premium you pay for such a thing is about $30 which is one up in another area that matters more (hard drive, processor, graphics card or even some like decent keyboard and mouse; for all the hardware in the case it is the mouse and keyboard you touch all the time), a quick search of newegg says there are equivalent boards (or slightly worse for trivial things like 5.1 vs 7.1 sound) at $30 less and I dare say you can stretch that further if you wanted.

What Omega_2 said about good ram and good PSU holds. Ram I would stick with DDR2 for now, keep the timings tight 5,5,5,something is what I would aim for. As for how much, I still say 2 gigs can get the job done perfectly for most people but 4 gig sets are getting very cheap for good product so I would consider that.

CPU: intel of some form is what you appear to be going for (and I would agree, AMD are good but are lagging a bit). The question then becomes dual or quad core and I would say go with dual as hardly anything makes use of dual let alone quad processing and you can either drop the price or score a clockspeed boost for your trouble.

Graphics. You say this is a summer project, depending on how long you can wait graphics cards prices often drop nicely in line for the new models/Christmas gaming rush. Things seem to have shifted a bit in the realms of the PC so I do not know how it will play out this year though. I say stick with a single card but make it a good one, alas I am not up on the current stuff (reason being my 7900gs still runs all I care to quite adequately, the 8xxx is not much above them and the 9XXX is a tweak on the 8xxx).

OS/software, tough one here. Up to you really, know that 32 bit operating systems in the consumer range (servers and some custom stuff is a bit different) do not support more than 4 gigs of ram and everything else has to sit on the same bus (if your graphics card rocks a gig, which it could well do, then you have 3 less the other stuff on the machine which means you have a whole 2.5 gigs for normal ram by the time all is said and done). Software is free and as such somewhat of a trivial concern though.

By my reckoning this leaves case, hard drive and disc drives.
    Case is personal preference really (get one without a PSU and buy one though)
    hard drive; go with sata, avoid solid state for now, I would also avoid RAID for the time being, cache means little, choose one with spin speed at 7200rpm or above and then it is up to you to pick a big one with good reviews.
    disc drives are up to you, personally I am sticking with a decent DVD burner for the foreseeable future.

Extras: onboard cooling of graphics and CPU should be good (the core2 line have been good for most people, even for half decent overclocking), CPU cooling could be considered if you really want quiet or plan on serious overclocking although it might be worth springing for a tube of thermal paste.

8. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    Ok I've read what you guys have typed and this is my thoughts.

HDD/Disk drive doesn't have any complaints so I'm going to keep that. The motherboard, I'm going to change up a bit as what FAST6191 said, I could probably get something thats the same, but at a lower price or better. So if you know something better, give me a link to check it out..

Memory, I'm going to keep the 8GB (or downgrade it to 6GB) Cause I do alot of art/games/entertainment stuff on my laptop (which has 4GB) and I take about 2-3GB of that. Plus you really can't beat the price for the 8GB...

Video card, I may go up on what Joe88 was saying cause its practically the same as the 9600. (Plus its better then my laptops 8600GT Force.)

Power supply..I'm not sure. Someone recommend me something better. When it comes to power supply, I wasn't sure or too keen on what to choose.

Dual Core/Quad Core: Well, even though FAST6191 has a point, I'm still going to stick with it. Cause computer programs...games..etc, they're evolving and it packs what I need and more.

As for what I have, I really don't have anything. My mom is going to ask my aunt and see if she still has any computer stuff I can use. We'll see.

9. RiotShooter

Member RiotShooter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    idk if this was answered or not in the thread but what is the max amount of money you are wanting to spend? there is a pretty big jump between say $700 and $1200. idr if we are allowed or not to post links to other websites but a good one for trying to decide what components you should buy for a desktop is techreport.com they have a monthly system builder guide. its pretty good.

10. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    I don't really have a price range set, but like I said, I don't want to build a $1500-2000 computer. Also, thats a nice site there. I took a look around it and its pretty nice.

I also like to say if anyone finds a good monitor with outlets so I can connect my 360 to it, please tell me! Thanks!

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  12. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    ...since you want me so bad to change my brand..I'll take you up on the offer. (Oh so shiny..)

But the HDD, my friend has it and he says that it works quite fine for him..whats so bad about it?

13. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    well just take a look at the reviews
    not a pretty sight
    you could also search for lots a reviews most of which are very negative

the .12 drives are supposed to be better but not too sure

thats the reason why I avoided seagate when I was buying a hard drive (500GB)

14. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    That's true..now that I look at the reviews, they weren't so good..thanks for the heads up.

15. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
  16. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
  17. Myke

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    if you are building from scratch and say you are salvaging hard drive/ optical drive,

I would recommend getting an i7 build. They are about 25% faster than the fastest quad core from intel.
    I just got my i7 build (salvaging a couple of parts). It just flies, and since it's a new socket you may find some motherboards that are actually cheaper than older sockets. I got my build for around 700 bux, not to mention really futureproof since it's newer technology. I can't rave enough about my i7 920. Not to mention they overclock really well on air, making them as fast as their big brother extreme edition (that goes for around 1200 bux alone). PLus it's ddr3, and the prices are coming down for ddr3. I got 3 gigs trichannel for 40 bux (OCZ ddr 3 1333). I'm just in love with my new build.

my build:
    intel dx58so motherboard , geforce 9800 gtx+, intel i7 920 2.66 OCed to 3.8 (on air, with stock cooler!!! my temps stay at 55C on full load I plan on getting a better CPU cooler to hit 4.0), 3 gigs pc 1066 1333 tri channel ddr3, 1 TB seagate 16mb sata 3.0 GB/s hard drive, 150 gig seagate 8mb sata 3.0 GB/s hd, Coolermaster HAF case, sata 22X dvd burner/DL/CD, 750watt PSU. (this thing is just a beast), winXP 32 bit (doesn't actually use the full potential of my PC), windows 7 dual boot.
    all minus the case I ended up spending 740 bux (with shipping)

18. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    I'm getting confused, what exactly is an i7? I don't understand.

oh i7 Intel Core..

19. Myke

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    core I7 new socket LGA 1366. the mobos don't have a front side bus, it's all controlled by the processor. there's a significant speed improvement =). new technology, quite nice and futureproof.

20. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    Yeah I looked it up, I think I'm behind in processors..anyone also know where I can get a monitor I can hook my 360 up to? Would be helpful..