BSOD & Smart Defrag

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by I2aven's_Sag, Jun 28, 2010.

Jun 28, 2010

BSOD & Smart Defrag by I2aven's_Sag at 11:24 PM (1,782 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. I2aven's_Sag
    OP

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Yep...all taken care off. HDD failed =/

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    That sucks man. Just stick with JKDefrag and Defraggler (that's what I use, at least). I've had issues with Smart Defrag deleting my MBR and file index so I have a bias. Good luck on the replacement.

3. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    Ohh!!! how many years did it last? Dont forget to defrag every month or 3 months.. [​IMG]

4. phenoM

Newcomer phenoM Member

United States
    Infinite, it's no needed to defrag your hdd every month or 3 months [​IMG]
    A single time in the year is enough [​IMG]
    By defrag your hdd, you erase a registry file which affect the indexation of your files, by erasing it you gain free space. But you also increase the time that will be necessary to your computer to search and load files. So it'll increase boot time and applications load time.

That's why the Microsoft's defrag app' is so poor, it's useless [​IMG]

5. I2aven's_Sag
    OP

United States
    Yup, just installed the new drive a few hours ago. The majority of my major programs are on here now; malwarebytes, VLC, 7zip, ZNES, ePSXe, PCSX2, firefox 4 beta...

Given how I like to re-arrange my file-system often a defrag every 3-6 months is ideal. I'll have to make sure to set that to an automated setup. HDD lasted about 3 years. Luckily, I'm still under warranty for another year or so, so dell sent me a Seagate 320GB to replace the failed WD 320gb.

I stored most of my favorite files, games and movies in my brothers shared documents folder. I should have all the "important" files by this evening ; ) Thanks for the compassion. It was fun installing the hard drive, I wish I had the money to do a few more upgrades. Gotta love Moore's Law as far as component / pricing and upgrades go ;P

6. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    I dont know.. I have 280GB's in my hard drve and it gets slow after a few months only

7. phenoM

Newcomer phenoM Member

United States
    You have to know that the things which slow down your computer is not the fact to haven't defrag' your hdd.
    But the fact that after somes times, many programs are running in background.
    Check the process running after a clean install of Windows, only a thirty process are running.
    Now check with your nowaday Windows [​IMG] In my computer I've at least a hundred of process running.

If you want really to boost your system, check the programs launched at the windows start. Disable all you think is no necessary to run at start.
    Here you'll gain in boot time. [​IMG]

Defrag' is just make windows plays a little game of tetris [​IMG]
    Move blocks in and out.
    From my point of view it's that, a big tetris game [​IMG]

Here I'll be out of the subject but, do you have setup your hdd controler as AHCI ? [​IMG]
    A very important option in all bios, it use the AHCI technology ( for SATA ) instead of emulate a basic IDE controler.
    It'll increase writing/reading flow ( IDE hdd have very slow flows, so if you use the IDE controler on a SATA drive you'll force your hdd to use IDE flows ) so in others words : allow you to use the best of your hdd [​IMG]

I hope to make myself understood, with my poor english vocabulary [​IMG]

8. juggernaut911

United States

9. phenoM

Newcomer phenoM Member

United States
    Well my english level do not allow me to express exactly what i want to say ^^ So i do as i can.
    Windows make a indexation register if you prefer.
    As your quote say, the defrag make files sticks each others together. And will speep up your system, but in the long term.
    The system will search the files once more to retrace where they are, and so will take more time to find them in a first time due to the indexation process.
    So a process which must, at the very begining speed up your system will slow it down.
    In a second time, once the indexation process will be ended, then, you'll see the changes.
    After a defrag, you think that your system is faster, but it's not. You have to wait a certain time to see the effects.

I'm sorry to tell it, but defrag' your system each month or all the 3 months is useless.
    You'll not let enough time to the OS to re-index all files correctly and improve performance.

Since I've install my OS i've never defrag my system ( i've only a 4% fragmentation rate with a non-stop use ) and it is faster as the first day.

But everyone is free to do as he wants to.

10. I2aven's_Sag
    OP

United States
    What I'll say since this is my thread at any rate is this; defragging is important so your system can efficiently optimize itself. If I understand Phenom correctly he's just saying that defragging a computer doesn't necessarily optimize the file-placement blocks for readily-accessed/commonly used programs or files which does have some truth to it.

In addition, as someone else mentioned, many programs work themselves into your start-up which, due to gradual accumulation may indeed slow the entire system down. You can "uncheck" some of these programs by using the "msconfig" utility. For example, I just noticed that Digsby, a multiple-messenger program similar to Beebo had integrated itself into my start up files. By unchecking this program, Digsby will no longer run at startup and use extra, unnecessary resources thus shortening startup times.

11. phenoM

Newcomer phenoM Member

United States
    Yes, after defragging your system you would see that applications or games might takes more time to launch than before.

It's also me who have spoken about programs at start up [​IMG]

To sum up, defragging is cool, you gain free space onto your hdd , but do not make it too often. You'll decrease hdd's life time.

12. juggernaut911

United States
    phenoM: Are you talking about the Windows search registry which can be disabled?

13. phenoM

Newcomer phenoM Member

United States
    In a certain way, yes. The windows search registry take a lot of ressources while the system is running.
    But this one is not really affected by defragmentation. It only work when you're searching files through windows explorer. So that your system have been defragged or not it will take the same time to search the same file before and after.

What i was speaking about it's more the fact that once the fragmentation done on your system, every time you'll launch an app' , will must research the shortcut of the files needed ( which have been destroy the defrag' process by moving files in and out blocks ).

That's why somes times it appear that a game loads a map less faster than before.

Btw, disable Windows Search Registry isn't bad. Less ressources uses but searchs will be longer. For someone like me who doesn't search files very often, it's perfect [​IMG]

14. juggernaut911

United States
    Dude... come on! This is way better:
    http://www.voidtools.com/

15. phenoM

Newcomer phenoM Member

United States
    Thanks for the link, but I really do not search files often [​IMG]
    Like once a year [​IMG]