Hardware BSOD - Memory Management, PSU related?

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I built this rig about five months ago, and it's intermittently had BSODs of this nature. I looked up the ID of the error and most of them were traceable back to not enough power--I hadn't switched out the default PSU yet (450W) came with bundle deal. But after using some power calculators, it says my hardware (surprisingly) hits under that supply amount at around 330W.

CPU: AMD FX-4100 (AM+3) not overclocked
GPU: Radeon HD5770
Two 90mm fans, one 120mm fan, and a heatsink (forgot to calculate this one)
Two 4GB DDR3
basic HDD 7200RPM (SATA)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

This is the calculator I referenced. Something like a max usage of 330W by this setup might be wrong... yeah? I already ran a memory test for several passes and no errors, and the next thing I could find for the error was a rogue driver gone bad, but I don't have the time now to check for it until after finals. Any suggestions?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Easy-peasy - check if the same situation occours when using the on-board graphics chip while PCI-E is disabled. This will lower the power intake greatly and allow you to check if this is infact power-related or it's something else.

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I originally envisioned, but still, these power consumption checks don't seem to suggest that. I've been waiting to up to about that range of a PSU whenever a deal comes through.

Does that mobo have an IGP?
I believe so, but the thing is is that whenever the BSOD occurs is when I'm not necessarily using the graphics card. It's happened more often when I'm doing something less intensive, like reading articles or watching youtube. In fact, I can't remember it ever happening while playing actually intensive 3D games--it's happened once during a game of Dungeon of Dredmore, and one or twice during a Minecraft game (over the span of five months).

So even if I want to run without the card, there's not really a telling way to know if I'm avoiding whatever caused the BSOD because the BSOD occurs regardless of whether it's used actively or used at a much more passive level. There's no way to actively know whether it's making a difference with how haphazard the BSOD occurs in the first place.

I should note that my computer is active for long periods of time without ever shutting down completely--instead I go into hibernate mode. I don't recall any BSOD occuring during a first-time boot. They've always occurred after several hibernation and waking sessions. But again, there doesn't seem to be much correlation between that and the occurrence of the BSODs.

At each BSOD there are successful memory dumps which are saved wherever on my hard disk. So it's not a complete freeze in the sense that there's absolutely no response from the something on the matter.

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Did you run MemTest86+?
2) Does it BSOD with the GPU out?
3) Does your PSU deliver enough power on the 12V rail to the GPU and CPU?
I did run MemTest86+. Ran it through about four cycles just to make sure, no problems. Like I said for the BSOD, it's going to be hard to determine if it's related to that without being really extreme. These BSODs are somewhat rare in occurrence--I've gone more than a month without seeing one. That sort of makes testing without a GPU a huge difference in my life style :P

I don't actually know the last one. I just looked at the PSU and it says its model name is CVP-450IS, but I could only find a single ebay listing for this, and nothing on rosewill's site (they're the manufacturer). Voltages are listed on the label but I don't know which one(s) you might want :(

This PSU I can get for about $45 USD right now through a rebate. I don't think I've seen a price range like this lately, and I've kept an eye out (but not everywhere). Are there generally better prices or is this a good one to go after? I don't plan on upgrading anything--this last build was an upgrade from a four-year-old system already.

EDIT: This and this are also in the nice price range with at least 600W.

CaCYi.png

Here was my system activity before and after playing some games for a while. I dunno if it'll answer your question about the 12V rail--is there a dedicated way to actually see what your PSU is handling, other than an actual power meter thingy?

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's the actual BSOD code?

Get OCCT, then do a CPU burn in test, leave it running for at least an hour. If no BSOD, move on to the GPU burn in, again leave for an hour. If nothing, run the PSU test.

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember the code, but I do see the six minidumps created since the build. I'd guess the code could be recorded in one of those, but I don't know how to access that info.

I've been running the tests, no problems on CPU or GPU (I'm actually surprised the GPU went so nicely--a pretty lax increase of heat). On the PSU now and it's going, but I am noticing the FPS dipped at times (average of 52 at 1920x1080, was juttering around 20-30 now and then).

Another thing I was reading was possibly something involving voltages for the RAM. Any idea on how to make sure those are set correctly in the BIOS?

EDIT: I was sniffing around some PSU enthusiast sites and a lot of them referenced the calculator I used (which we know is more of a rough estimate rather than actual likelihood). I also found this PSU going for $25 USD after rebate. 650W, with a few users at said enthusiast site saying it's a nice one for builds around the size of mine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148041

Any recommendation about it? I'm eager to take advantage of the best purchase my impoverished wallet can find :P

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://i.imgur.com/jr2SW.png

I just took a snap of my loaded minidumps. I thought they were all the same error, but apparently 2/6 were something else >_> Still, 4/6 recurring errors seems like something to get on. Thanks for the program suggestion!

And the PSU test finished without any errors, but there most certainly were lag spikes along the way, and the charts saved show the same thing. Actually, I notice that every once in a while, if I'm installing a big program, my computer would stutter for a second (I'm always playing music, so you'd hear the sound just "freeze" for a couple miliseconds, like everything just errrrrs and then resumes) and then keep on. That seems to match with the lag spikes while running the test (my mouse also got laggy while the test was running, I noticed).

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
http://i.imgur.com/jr2SW.png

I just took a snap of my loaded minidumps. I thought they were all the same error, but apparently 2/6 were something else >_> Still, 4/6 recurring errors seems like something to get on. Thanks for the program suggestion!

And the PSU test finished without any errors, but there most certainly were lag spikes along the way, and the charts saved show the same thing. Actually, I notice that every once in a while, if I'm installing a big program, my computer would stutter for a second (I'm always playing music, so you'd hear the sound just "freeze" for a couple miliseconds, like everything just errrrrs and then resumes) and then keep on. That seems to match with the lag spikes while running the test (my mouse also got laggy while the test was running, I noticed).

instead of posting the picture attaching or giving a link to your dump file will be helpful for further analysis.you can Zip or upload the contents of
C:\Windows\minidump to Skydrive(or other filesharing sites) and give a link.

AvaAlsop

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Scan for possible virus infection
In some rare case, the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT blue screen of death error could be caused by virus infection.
If you have not run your antivirus program and check if your system is infected by virus, do it now.
for more info about this error check this URL:
www errorsolutions tech error/windows-bsod-memory-management-error/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo