Hardware brown/blemish like spots under top screen of 3dsXL !?

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
these spots appeared after i let my 3DS XL drie up in sun abit cause my bro spilled some water on top screen :l.. right now all of it dried and top screen looks great except for the blemishes.. it looks like dirt..

i placed the system on its face making the sun shine on the back obviously not to damage the lcd from too much heat.

left it for some 4-8h.

is there anyway to get the dirt out without opening this thing ?

prototech

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For future reference, I would never recommend putting an electronic device in the sun to dry like that. I worked at a cell phone/electronics repair shop for well over a year and we did a lot of water damage recoveries. My best advice would be to just put it in rice for at least a day, several days is better though. Some companies now sell special absorbent beads that work better than rice for absorbing the liquid, but I'm sure it's much more expensive, and rice is something that is very easily obtainable in an emergency.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For future reference, I would never recommend putting an electronic device in the sun to dry like that. I worked at a cell phone/electronics repair shop for well over a year and we did a lot of water damage recoveries. My best advice would be to just put it in rice for at least a day, several days is better though. Some companies now sell special absorbent beads that work better than rice for absorbing the liquid, but I'm sure it's much more expensive, and rice is something that is very easily obtainable in an emergency.
just to clarify, that's UNBOILED rice. dry rice. i've known someone who followed the "put it in rice" advice but boiled it first.... i doubt anyone here would be that stupid but i'd figure it can't hurt to mention.

Reactions: prototech

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
just to clarify, that's UNBOILED rice. dry rice. i've known someone who followed the "put it in rice" advice but boiled it first.... i doubt anyone here would be that stupid but i'd figure it can't hurt to mention.

lol i have put it in dry rice for well over 2 days.. and it didnt do much.. :l so i started putting it on sun and bam the brown blemishes appeared on top screen,

but its perfectly dry now .. all water from top screen gone, just the few blemishes are heck annoying, no way ima open this thing :l cause i would totally break it.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to say for sure what the blemishes are without seeing it in person, but if the spots aren't totally opaque (i.e. you can still see kind of see the image through them) then it's probably not damage by the sun, but rather drying marks on the backlight itself. Even if it was just water that was spilled on the console, the water would have had impurities in it that would leave residue on the backlight even after the water evaporated. It's possible to open the LCD panel up to clean the backlight, but it's way more trouble than it's worth. It's hard enough replacing the upper LCD, so it's not worth trying to clean or fix dirty/damaged ones.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
It's hard to say for sure what the blemishes are without seeing it in person, but if the spots aren't totally opaque (i.e. you can still see kind of see the image through them) then it's probably not damage by the sun, but rather drying marks on the backlight itself. Even if it was just water that was spilled on the console, the water would have had impurities in it that would leave residue on the backlight even after the water evaporated. It's possible to open the LCD panel up to clean the backlight, but it's way more trouble than it's worth. It's hard enough replacing the upper LCD, so it's not worth trying to clean or fix dirty/damaged ones.

yes ! it is residue from the impurity of water , the blemish i am kind of sure.. cause i can not see too much through it :) ..

i guess i will leave it the way it is cause like you said it would only be worth opening lcd when replacing it completely not cause of some dot.. anyway thanks !

thanks to all for replies :) good day to you all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74nTzbgDGWM