Broken monitor and blue screen of death.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Westside, Sep 7, 2011.

Sep 7, 2011
  1. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    So my monitor is broken and it has problem displaying xbox and pc stuff, and somehow my computer is getting blue screen of death at the same time. Could the BSOD be related to the monitor?

2. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    What exactly is wrong with the monitor?

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I very much doubt the monitor causes BSOD by itself (drivers for it maybe). I will say though open up the back and check capacitors- these last couple of months maybe a year I have had several come my way with blown capacitors which are pennies to replace http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02uLSu1Jj5M .

At this point regarding the BSOD I have nothing to offer beyond the usual- check ram, check drivers, remove any startup, do a virus scan (grab http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684 as this virus family has caused several BSODs in machines I find myself fixing)......

4. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    It's hard to describe, but the colours are off and there are vertical lines like below, without the holes of course. There were no dramatic physical damages to the screen itself as far as I recall.
    [​IMG]

As for the manufacturer warranty, I wanted to check where and when I bought the thing from Samsung's site using serial number, but they ask that from you, so it was completely useless. My online credit card bill only goes back up to 12 months, and I had the thing for about 2 years.

5. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    I had the same kind of stripes on my monitor after my GPU died, so you might want to check if a different GPU will do the trick (try the onboard VGA chip thingie(if you're already using that, try 'n get a graphics card)).

6. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I tested it on multiple of devices with the same result, i.e. xbox, blu-ray player and such. Also the reason that I think the BSOD is related to the monitor is that my smaller LCD monitor works fine with the computer, but when I plug this one in, BSOD. I think it is also having problems communicating with the computer in terms of frequency and resolution.

7. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I didn't realize monitors did more than just output (Unless your monitor has a usb hub attached). The monitor can't possibly cause blue screens of death for a windows system

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Some monitors do have drivers which will be loaded upon attaching* and that can cause BSOD.

*the method by which the monitor is discerned from a fairly simple method ( http://pinouts.ru/all/VGA15_pinout.shtml ) is known as EDID and I suppose technically a response could lead to a failure of a machine but barring actual evidence that is what has caused the issue here (the EEPROMs that often contain the data have been known to become corrupt) I am not going to go there.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Any chance you could get the dump files (C:\Windows\Minidump\) off the machine for us?

10. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    If you can boot it up, check out the event viewer too.