Homebrew broken homebrew fix using HBC 1.0 nandd

kaisersozeh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If I ripped a nand from a wii with the old homebrew channel installed,
Could I use it to load homebrew broken by the latest HB channel update?
How would I clean such a nand to use in my own wii, share it for ntsc users, and could I more simply build a nand using showmiiwads?
Thanks!

Note: The Homebrew Browser does still seem to work as of May 2017, but you need to edit settings.xml and change "setting_server" from 0 to 1 to make it use the backup server.

Last edited by kaisersozeh,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
To my knowledge, the only homebrew which doesn't work on newer HBC are the one using a wrong dol format.
in one of the old HBC update, they decided to force users to use proper dol compiled homebrew, and drop support from elf converted to dol.

if you still have one of these old homebrew, you should try to find an updated version.
If there is no updated version, there's probably an alternative app to do the same, no?

kaisersozeh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm a bit fresh after a few years away. I've recently, in the past month, used the letterbomb hack to hack a rev001 wii.
Homebrew that was working no longer does.
I'll go through it again. Sorry to trouble you folks, thanks for the responses!
It was particularly old homebrew, perhaps I should look for the source and recompile. Well, try :D
II'd done some casual reading and I thought anything using a particular library prior to the one that the new homebrew channel used b would stop working - I thought that was the issue
I'm describing building a fake nand, installed with the older homebrew, booting to it and loading homebrew I thought had been broken.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does that make more sense?
I may be missing something....:rofl:

Last edited by kaisersozeh,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Compiled homebrew using an old SDK, yes, that makes sense. HBC stopped being compatible with these ones. the generated dol file was bad.
I don't recommend reverting to old HBC just to use old homebrew, the useful homebrew have been updated.

If you want to make a "fake NAND" (dump your NAND to SD?) there are multiple tools more recent than the one you are using.
Usually, people are using USBLoaderGX to make a NAND dump (settings>features>dump NAND), but there are other tools like (Simple)FSDumper but it might require IOS236.

Another method is to create a completely new one using Modmii program on Windows.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: kaisersozeh

kaisersozeh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's quite a few bits I haven't been able to work - still haven't got to my wii today but on this soon - old homebrew games avoidance and the "thatotherdev"'s stuff. I'll update from nintendo and rehack with letterbomb.
Yes, I did mean something built from scratch - I have usbloadergx, i'll try that - i've had trouble ripping nands using usbloaders in the past...
thank you, for UsbloaderGX and for your answer :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: lol @ greasy strangler lines. Everyone should watch it and post lines. haha