Broken Hinge

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SomeOrdinaryGamr, Jun 5, 2017.

1. SomeOrdinaryGamr
    OP

SomeOrdinaryGamr Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2016
    United States
    The other day my right hinge broke off my 3DS XL. I learned I need to perform a shell swap. Now I was going to perform it myself, but I realised how complicated it is (to me). Should I send my 3DS to Nintendo? Or should I wait for the New 2DS and CFW that if possible?

Attached Files:

2. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    We had the same issue with our 3DS, and we glued it. Sadly enough the R button got stuck back then, but we fixed it. Still works perfectly. Also that happened in 2014. (we & our is: my family & me)

3. doughmay

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    This happened to my Ds-lite. Still worked, taped it and glued it in. Works. Wouldn't bet on the N2DS CFW, never now the nintendo ninjas could already be patching sighax and B9S on the N2DS!

4. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    This is right, let's hope not, but it also happened kinda with the Wii, remember?

5. SomeOrdinaryGamr
    OP

SomeOrdinaryGamr Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2016
    United States
    I was thinking that the New 2DS would have quite the similar firmware to the New 3DS. I can glue it for the time being, but I will purchase to 2DS for non-modding purposes.

6. doughmay

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    We can only hope Nintendo over looks this. But they are watching.

7. SomeOrdinaryGamr
    OP

SomeOrdinaryGamr Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2016
    United States
    I was thinking that the Magnet Hax exploit currently being used could work for the New 2DS

8. doughmay

doughmay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    Its possible. But we will never truly know until the community has units in there hands.

9. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Same thing happened to my 3DS. I ordered a full shell replacement kit. I followed a nice iFixIt guide, only to be defeated during the part where you put the wires inside the center hinge thing. I couldn't do it. To this day my 3DS is still in pieces... If I were you I'd just send it in.

10. SomeOrdinaryGamr
    OP

SomeOrdinaryGamr Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2016
    United States
    Now would they notice the CFW. This is why I am somewhat reluctant..

11. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    If it's straight up installed, most likely. I don't know if you decided to remove the CFW if it leaves any trace. Perhaps it would be possible to not send your SD card, make a NAND backup, and remove any traces of anything related to homebrew (and cleanup any tickets if you did that) and send it in, with CFW. It wouldn't work though if they check by holding select during boot though.

12. SomeOrdinaryGamr
    OP

SomeOrdinaryGamr Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2016
    United States
    I'm thinking I could remove the battery and SD card as it simply is a shell swap.

13. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    That's what I tried to do. Maybe there's better guides on ifixit now, the guide I had for my O3DS XL was barebones so I was never able to complete it.