Broken disk laser?

ando2011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
step 1 buy him a new laser. if that doesnt work, extract the drive keys from his disc drive - using a flasher tool ( sorry cant remember its name) SAVE THE KEYS, buy a new drive, flash his keys to it and problem solved. cheaper picking up a 2nd hand one these days tho. the reason your drive on his machine wouldnt play the games is because of the keys - each console has its own keys married to its drive. at best your drive on his machine would play dvds

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright well i give up. One last question. I dont want to make a full thread about this. I want to expand my hard drive space. What type of hard drive should i loo
step 1 buy him a new laser. if that doesnt work, extract the drive keys from his disc drive - using a flasher tool ( sorry cant remember its name) SAVE THE KEYS, buy a new drive, flash his keys to it and problem solved. cheaper picking up a 2nd hand one these days tho. the reason your drive on his machine wouldnt play the games is because of the keys - each console has its own keys married to its drive. at best your drive on his machine would play dvds
i think that might be a little complicated for me to do. haha. I don't he cares that much about his xbox so i don't really think i should go out and buy a new laser. Thanks for the input though. :grog:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@DarkGabbz alright well i give up. One last question. I don't want to make a full thread about this. I want to expand my hard drive space. What type of hard drive should i look for and how cheep can i get it?

c3pu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

false original xbox do not have locked dvd drive only the hdd are locked

if changing the ide and power cable did not work my guess is the mobo is the issue therefore that xbox is no good sry.

ando2011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah a new laser on ebay is usually the best bet you may have to pay the seller to unsoilder a bit for you if you cant do it yourself. the rest of the tools needed would likely cost you more than a mint preowned xbox - sayin that.... for less than the cost of a laser
ive picked up preowned xboxes for £10 white slim 300gig with controller!! so go look on gumtree or craiglists depending on where you live.

false original xbox do not have locked dvd drive only the hdd are locked

if changing the ide and power cable did not work my guess is the mobo is the issue therefore that xbox is no good sry.

arnt we talking xbox 360 ???

c3pu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah a new laser on ebay is usually the best bet you may have to pay the seller to unsoilder a bit for you if you cant do it yourself. the rest of the tools needed would likely cost you more than a mint preowned xbox - sayin that.... for less than the cost of a laser
ive picked up preowned xboxes for £10 white slim 300gig with controller!! so go look on gumtree or craiglists depending on where you live.
this is the xbox thread dude not the 360 one

ando2011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
this is the xbox thread dude not the 360 one
oh shit my bad!!!! lol ok then i gotta re-read all and see if i can advise.... tho likely new laser still i think

ok from memory - you can mod his xbox without the use of his drive - i have 3 xboxs 2 softmodded and one without a working drive - i plan on doing it if ever i get spare time. you need and old computer (one with ide ports) and old harddrive one bigger that the 16 gig of his original and again it must be ide, a copy of slayer (i think) and an ftp program, ideally a copy of coins ops 8 as well. there are definitely old guides out there but basically you clone his old drive to a bigger sized drive, ftp the hacks and roms and menus on there and thats it. but its old hardware these days!

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok from memory - you can mod his xbox without the use of his drive - i have 3 xboxs 2 softmodded and one without a working drive - i plan on doing it if ever i get spare time. you need and old computer (one with ide ports) and old harddrive one bigger that the 16 gig of his original and again it must be ide, a copy of slayer (i think) and an ftp program, ideally a copy of coins ops 8 as well. there are definitely old guides out there but basically you clone his old drive to a bigger sized drive, ftp the hacks and roms and menus on there and thats it. but its old hardware these days!
Well its a shame then. My father through out our old computer with those ports. Rip

ando2011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
see how you get on with a pot tweak or full on replacement laser first! did his xbox work before
you got your hands on it??

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
see how you get on with a pot tweak or full on replacement laser first! did his xbox work before
you got your hands on it??
no, he gave it to me being unable to read disks. At first, the tray never even opened. I had to replace a belt so that it could slide in and out

ando2011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
exact same problem with the 3rd one i have in the attic, good to know a replacement belt might fix it, from memory my one wont open unless forced! sure buy a laser and let us know how you get on mate. good luck i have a lot of the programs on disk if you need anything sure let me know and ill up;oad for you

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exact same problem with the 3rd one i have in the attic, good to know a replacement belt might fix it, from memory my one wont open unless forced! sure buy a laser and let us know how you get on mate. good luck i have a lot of the programs on disk if you need anything sure let me know and ill up;oad for you
how much does a laser cost?

ando2011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dunno mate, check ebay. depends on shipping local availability etc etc ive not fucked with xboxs in a while so unsure of the market

Reactions: Stephano

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far