Broken ASUS Laptop, REVANGE

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by thevilman, May 4, 2011.

May 4, 2011

Broken ASUS Laptop, REVANGE by thevilman at 3:36 PM (2,453 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. thevilman
    OP

Newcomer thevilman Member

Brazil
    hey folks,
    I would like to ask you guys for a few minutes of your time to read my story.
    last year after saving the heck out of my money I have I managed to buy one of thoese dream laptop asus make
    I bought at AMAZON an ASUS N71JQ-X1 with a i7 processor 4gbs of ddr3, 500gbs, usb 3 and all the crap you can imagine for 1100 U$
    I thought it was the best deal I could make, and since I don't live in the USA the 1 year international warranty would come in handy
    When I finally got it, I treated it as my personal treasure, I mean I bought a laptop and I would never take it anywhere
    after I few months of use I realized its first issues, first of all my lap got literally burned after using it, I can take pictures to prove,
    This shit gets SO @#$@#$ HOT you can't use it as a LAPTOP
    secondly after 1 month after the warranty expired it simply stopped working,
    Imagine you guys losing the computer you need to write school papers and articles. It's 10x worse.
    I mean, I'm on the last semester of a really hard engineering school in my country and I don't have where to write a mandatory article we gotta write in order to graduate.

Do you know how I feel? Honestly, I feel pissed as hell, so pissed I'm promising you guys here I'm gonna make the funniest youtube video you have ever seen.
    I'm thinking about dressing like a clown or maybe a cowboy and presenting my notebook and all my trouble. There is no way I can get any kind of refund because the warranty expired 1 month ago, and the ASUS office can't do a thing
    So I'm gonna fight back, fight back with humor, since I feel like a clown, I'm gonna humiliate myself a bit more just to show what happend to me and what kinda of company ASUS is
    so I need suggestions, what is the funniest thing I can do on my video to show what kinda of company ASUS is?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Firstly you can probably recover the data simply by taking the HDD out and plugging it in a computer (or using an external SATA dock). It's a small consolation for losing the love of your life (excuse the artistic license).

Heat is a very common issue in most laptops, especially those with high end CPUs and GPUs. Core i7? You can expect heat to become a problem. 50-70C is not uncommon for the CPU, and 60-80C is not uncommon for the GPU. It's advised to keep a notebook cooling pad for the times when it just gets too hot. Other ways to keep the heat down... dust it out on a monthly basis. That means opening it up and cleaning the vents, maybe even cleaning out the heatsink using Q-tips or a can of compressed air. Dust is a laptop's worst enemy. Also every year or so, maybe sooner, you should replace the thermal paste of the CPU/GPU (if it allows you, which it should). My PB media laptop didn't even come with thermal paste originally, so when I applied it... imagine my satisfaction to find it was a full 12C cooler (although it got hotter over the next couple months from dust again).

As for it not working... assuming that you just mean it won't turn on... whilst it's possible something melted, it could just be a short circuit. Taking out the batter, leaving it for a lil bit, then putting it back in and letting it charge fully before turning it on... that's how I fix my tablet laptop that's currently refusing to turn on every now and again.

Warranty... well really, the warranty just tells you how long you can expect Asus to fix it for free. They should still be able to fix it out of warranty, but you'll probably have to pay a service charge. Better that charge than buying a whole new laptop.

Finally, for getting your work done... the school should have some IT facilities that you can use in order to write that article. Sure, it's not as nice as using your own super-hot laptop, but at least it's something.

EDIT: I'll also add a fun fact: 15-25% of all laptops sold will have a major fault occur within the first 3 years of life. The exact number varies from company to company, with HP and Apple being among the worst.

3. thevilman
    OP

Brazil
    Thanks a lot for the advices,
    Since I have low experience on notebook maintanace, I've hired a service from a company speciallized on notebooks. It's not ASUS oficial tech support but they are also expert on portable computers.
    Well, I'm doing my part to get it fixed but I'm also wanna do my part to strike back.
    I know there is nothing I can do about it, but I wanna make sure most of people see this thread and understand exactly your last quote.
    "15-25% of all laptops sold will have a major fault occur within the first 3 years of life"
    That's why I'm gonna shoot a video as cheeze as possible to describing ASUS and my notebook the funniest way as possible.
    thanks again for your time buddy
    PS: I've broken up with my girlfriend on the same day my notebook went dead and I honestly feel worse when I think about my computer than when I think about her.
    So it was indeed the love of my life so far...

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You bought a laptop with a high-end processor and all sorts of fast shit, and it overheated.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

5. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    ASUS are asses but ACER is worse.

My first lappy was an acer with 3GB ram and a 250GB hard drive.

Killed itself within 2 weeks.

Thankfully, I got full money back for it then got an HP desktop for a few years. That lasted five years and now I've got a HP laptop that I'm happily using.

6. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Like Rydian said.
    Overheating is quite common.
    My old compaq's plastic literally changed colour from silver/white to sort of yellowish black lol, and all the stickers at the back got burnt.

If you dont take it out of home, you should have used cooling pad. I use cooling pad at all times to avoid any performance issues or overheating. When I take my laptop to college, i have everything set on lowest and it lasts quite long without overheating. Technology improved so much over the years [​IMG].

7. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Notebooks are for mobility, and that is it. You are cramming a lot of very hot components into a very small area, so overheating is a major issue. Especially if you are not using a notebook tray or putting it on a table.

8. thevilman
    OP

Brazil
    in other words
    they are selling low quality notebooks for huge prices to stupid people like us
    I've spent all me economies on this baby because I need a place to study and work
    and now what? they won't give my a refund
    now I PROMISE YOU GUYS, I'm MAKING A VIDEO dressing as a clown
    the ASUS clown, or maybe the ASSES CLOWN
    I need suggestions on how I should make this movie to get it the funniest as possible and therefore withdrawn more attention
    please drop me note and tell what I should do

9. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    I don't know what stuff you're smoking, but considering how much power is in that laptop, I'm not surprised at all by overheating. ASUS is far from 'low quality' when you take a look at Acer, HP, and other brands.

10. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Originality offers good advice. Most high-end Asus laptops are able to be opened up, cleaned, inspected, and in some cases components can be replaced. To be honest, you should clean it on a regular basis; if you got an expensive laptop at a cheap price ~ most of the time, it's too good to be true and you should clean it out when you get it.

I don't want to make it seem like it's your fault, thevilman, but if you had researched a bit into how you can can clean and re-paste thermal/CPU paste then you may not have had these issues. The best way, in my opinion, that you can get revenge, is just to learn more about keeping your laptop clean, and how to keep the temperature down. Chances are it will happen again, so you need to be ready to clean it again when it happens.

11. thevilman
    OP

Brazil
    dude, what you're saying is average users gotta learn how perform self maintance on their own notebooks
    well, if I do open up your notebook you void your warrany
    and it wasn't a cheap notebook at all, at least not for me, take a look and see
    I bought it from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/N71JQ-X1-17-3-Inch-V...6709&sr=8-1

12. thevilman
    OP

Brazil
  13. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    It's most likely an overheat like the others pointed out.

Also, Y U take p1ng's name with I instead of 1? It makes it hard to see who's replying until you actually go to the topic.

EDIT: he was dealt with [​IMG]

14. thevilman
    OP

Brazil
    I'm gonna know exactly what happen soon, but as you guys have said, probably an overheat.

Once I know I'm gonna be posting videos dressing as a clown and making fun of ASUS and a fool of myself once again.

15. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Threads merged.
    There was no need for two identical threads.

16. ChaosZero816

Member ChaosZero816 Temp's Official Random Member

Philippines
    I'm an ASUS user and I never had that problem.
    One thing, laptops were built more mobility and for the average user. I don't recommend getting a high-specs laptop. If you want a powerful computer, its best to stick with a desktop.

As for the topic, That's pretty common. I have friends whose laptop pretty much failed miserably. Most of them Acer users and a couple of Apple users.
    And with that much power, I'm not surprised that it overheated and burned. One thing to do is follow what most people said already. Get a cooling fan and do proper maintenance on it regularly.

17. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    ive never had any issues with any of my asus products. so as far is im concerned, their stuff isnt trash or low-end.

i feel your pain, it sucks when you buy something that expensive and then right when the warranty runs out, it dies. however, i totally agree with what every other person has said. you got all those hot components crammed into that case. i bet you werent using the "power-saving" or "step-down" options. and not using a cooling mat.

just like with a $500,000 sports car, it will run fast and kickass. but if you think you can run it wide open, full speed, balls-to-the-wall, 24/7 and nothing will break, youre in for a rude awakening.

18. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    My brother bought a Acer for 900$. A month later he had overheat problems. He was really mad about it since his HDD was 60-70C hotand his processor around 80C.
    I then took hour vacuum cleaner, brought it upstairs. unplugged and turned of his acer, then i gave the acer three rounds in the boxing ring with the vacuum cleaner.
    After that the HDD was only around 30C heat and the processor around 50-60C hot.
    That's while playing Assassins creed brother hood for an hour.

As many other here said, Dust is all machines worst friend. Keep your room clean and your computer work space clean. I clean my computer and my room 1-2 times a week to not get any dusty shit in there [​IMG]

19. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I'm just going to go ahead and mention that it's NOT cost-effective to re-insure an old laptop with a new warranty because of the pace of technology (unless, you need it badly for school) and seem to have no idea what you're doing (cleaning/disassembly wise).

My warranty on my machine is ending soon and I'm just going to see if I can upgrade some components =/= around the price of the warranty.

20. thevilman
    OP

Brazil
    I just don't think it's right you shop for a computer when you don't know exactly how long it's gonna last.
    eg: if you get a your favorite ceral at the local grocery store it will come how long you have to eat it.
    and as we know there is no assembly line that assures a flawless process
    what they do to prevent bad assembled products to reach the stores is a statistic check on small percentage of their manufactured products and through statistic based patterns they assume whether the lot is ok or not.
    but what we don't know is they do have control on the exactly percentage of computers that will present a major flaw on the first couple of years
    so instead of assuring the their products quality it's cheaper to offer a 1 year free warranty for those laptops presenting any kind of defect
    you feel fortune and safe when you actually is getting something it's just a fraction of what you paid for
    let me give you an example,
    suppose you buy a 1 thousand dollars computer,
    you expect it to last at least for 3-4 years
    but since it's cutting edge computer, ASUS will have to hurry their project to hit the shelves as soon as possible
    as a result they will only offer a warranty that covers the first year of usage, which is really far from what you have in mind
    in other words they cannot assure your computer wil survive the first year unless you pay for a extended warranty period
    so they offer you for a 200 dollars another 2 years of extended warranty
    as we know thing is for free, everything that is done is aimed to more profit.
    we ain't no comunists
    let's do simple math:
    200 dollars is 1/5 of the products value, on the worst case, for each 5 computers one will go dead and they won't have to spend a dime
    instead of giving you another computer back, they will push you for repair service that wouldn't cost , in most case, a couple of hundred dollars

so when you get a 1 year free warranty and you think you are making the best possible
    they are saying they don't trust their producuts for more then 1 year
    and when you get the extended warranty period you ware giving money away because they know their products have a huge chance to get it broken on the first 3 years and you ended up paying them for their lack of competance
    you pay for a right that you should have since the very moment you have purchased anything, so they hid costs so you don't understand in reality their real price