Hacking Brief guide to update Wii to USB Loader GX 2.0 and USB 2.0

marcot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a bit of a hard time working out how to get the latest version of USB Loader GX (2.0 with AHBPROT enabled) to work properly on a new Wii I was softmodding, but I noticed when I did that many games worked out of the box, rather than all the custom options I have on my own older Wii and USB Loader GX version. It took me a while to work out the sequence of things to install to update my old softmodded Wii. The main issue with these installers is that things have to be installed in this sequence otherwise the Hermes installer won't work - you will notice this by "bad hash" messages when trying to update a cIOS.

This sequence will also install the official IOS58 from System Menu 4.3 to enable native USB 2.0 support, and then update the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX to use this. Supposedly this is the only useful change that has happened after System Menu 4.1, the rest are mainly Wii hack prevention - so don't update after 4.1 (or 4.2), but don't downgrade your firmware either as there is no real need. Also, Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX both now support AHBPROT enabled, which means that the cIOS can be bypassed when accessing the USB drive. Once you have a Homebrew Channel on your Wii, you can install all of these regardless of your System Menu version.

The bottom line - better game compatibility, better USB support, faster USB loading because of an official USB 2.0 driver, without updating to System Menu 4.3

Assumptions:
- you know enough about Wii modding to know that there are custom IOS's that are installed based on different official IOS's, and that the custom IOS's are used to do magical things by homebrew software
- you already have an existing install, or are a new modder that can understand this post
- you have the same USB 2.0 HDD setup as me - FAT32 partition with WBFS partition (but other configurations might work)
- your Wii is modded at least to the point where you have a Homebrew Channel
- you're not doing anything fancy with your Wii, just loading games from a USB drive and maybe running mplayer_ce or DVDX (these changes might not affect other things but I don't know)
- your Wii is online and you always choose "Network Installs" (although you could do offline installs if you can be bothered)

The magic sequence:

Update the Homebrew Channel - either download the latest installer, or just click on the world icon in the bottom right which will do an auto-update. Homebrew Channel 0.8 introduced USB 2.0 and AHBPROT support, so you should want at least that.

Install IOS58 to enable native USB 2.0 support - you can update to System Menu 4.3 if you like, but it will probably break all your existing mods and it's a lot easier and faster to just use Tantric's IOS58 Installer
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer

Install Waninkoko's cIOS 249 rev17 (base 38) - this is a solid version to install Hermes' cIOS's from, but will be updated later.
Find 'cIOS Installer 38r17' on FileTrip.net

Install Hermes' cIOS's - this will speed up mplayer_ce, and add better support for games. I think these do other things as well but I'm a user not a pusher so I'm not sure. Be sure to install:
IOS202 - install IOS60 as a base
IOS222 - install IOS38 as a base
IOS223 - install IOS37 as a base
IOS224 - install IOS57 as a base

See the official site for more info:
http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...-222-223-a.html

Install latest Wainkoko cIOS-X - should be installed twice based on different IOS's:
IOS250 (Base 57)
IOS249 (Base 56)

This info came from this post:
http://gbatemp.net/t270227-usb-loader-gx-b...-to-system-menu

Update USB Loader GX - you can use the built in updater, but then you have to connect the drive to a PC to delete all the config files, so you might as well delete all of your precious config files and install it all from scratch by downloading from here:
http://usbloadergx.koureio.net/downloads
I also updated the forwarder channel, but I don't think you have to, but you might as well finish the job properly. If your forwarder doesn't start USB Loader GX, then try launching it via the Homebrew Channel. If this works, then you are almost there, try installing IOS58 again.

I hope this helps someone else out there, it took me a few hours and a lot of trial and error to work this all out!

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great post, thanks
smile.gif

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love this post so much!! Was wondering when installing v2.0 (Channel) do u install it on IOS222 (IOS 4 backup loaders) or on IOS58 itself? Cause I'm always confused on these releases.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
After installing ios58, you need to REinstall the homebrewchannel in order to make it use ios 58!

To use USBL GX apbroth functions from a channel , YOU NEED the latest official apbroth enabled forwarder channel!

IOS 58 is'nt used for the actual backup loading. You use cIOS installed in various slots. ONE slot at a time for a game.
IOS 58 is used for loading the apps that can load the backups.
IOS 58 is an official IOS, and cannot be used to load backups, ever, It will not load your backups faster.
DVDX is basicly obsolete and is replaced by the apbroth fuction. It's no longer part of the Hackmii installer.

There is no "magic sequence"you are impliyng. In order to install unsigned content on ANY Wii, you just need a trucha bugged IOS.

This can Easily be done with Simple ios patcher , Multi mod manager, ios236 patcher/installer. After that your Wii is basicly WIDE OPEN.
After having a trucha bug, you can install ANYTHING using the trucha bug slot using WAD manager or using the various cios installers.
( Slot 236 ).

Check out modmii in the Wii hacking stickies, and make your and everybody's life, easier.
In fact , setting this up takes about 10 minutes to do. Use modmii.

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I would just install USB Loader GX on2 IOS236 then?

EDIT: I have USB Loader currently installed @ cIOS222 what would happen if I installed the AHBPROT function 2 that IOS via DOP-Mii Wiibrew Edition?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dn_angel000 said:

you have no cleu on what you are doing.
I don't understand the Question.

ios 236 will be your IOS Slot that you use to install all the fakesigned content on your Wii.
If an installer or WAD manager asks you "wich slot"to use, you choose slot 236.
USB loader GX is'nt "installed "on anything. It's an app in your apps folder on you SD card or FAT 32 HD.

If you are referring to the channels: You need to acces you Wii on a certain way to install fakesigned stuff.
By using the code that is present in slot 236 you enable that. Channels aren't installed in slots or IOS.
The channel links to the apps folder: apps/usb loader gx/boot.dol.
It's almost like a fast link like in Windows.

Usb loader gx Can use any slot to load globally ( can be set to referrence. ). Any game that you load from USBLGX can be set to use any slot individualy.
Read up on the Modmii sticky int he Wii hacking thread.
It's much easier than you'de think. There's NO magic.
( sorry for my english )

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dn_angel000 said:

EDIT: I have USB Loader currently installed @ cIOS222 what would happen if I installed the AHBPROT function 2 that IOS via DOP-Mii Wiibrew Edition?

THERE IS NO WAY WITHOUT CODING.
Apbroth is a piece of code. It's not something you can install on your Wii via Modmii.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dn_angel000 said:
O ok! Ya I have the Channel version my bad 4 not specifying!! lol I just meant I recently just installed AHBPROT 2 IOS236 with DOP-Mii WiiBrew Edition and was only wondering if I could apply the AHBPROT function 2 IOS222 using DOP-Mii WBE or would it screw up that IOS?

It's NOT needed. EVER.
The Wiibrew edition of Dopmii Won't allow to be used for anything other than HOMEBREW. It won't allow installation of trucha or Cios.

Ahbprot is used to load apps. It allows the apps to acces the wii hardware without using Custom IOS ( Cios ).
It's not used for actual backup loading in any way.

To make things clear: Backup loading/ pirating scene and The homebrew scene, are totally NOT connected together anymore.
By the introduction of the Official ios 58 that came with the your shape game.
A cios was'nt needed anymore to acces the Wii's hardware directly when loading homebrew apps.

Again: Ios 58 or ahbprot have nothing to do with backup loading.
Backuploading uses a CIOS from Hermes or Waninkoko.
Homebrew and all apps use ios 58. ( official Nintendo ios. ) The ahbprot function that came with the latest HBC, makes it possible to to use this ios 58 for homebrew.
Channels With ahbprot are made so you won't have to go through the HBC to use the funtion.

Cios won't benifit from ios 58. When used they are loaded on there own and have their own USB 2.0 module.
Allthough Ciosx rev 21 can use ios 58 as a base ios.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hielkenator said:
Homebrew and all apps use ios 58. ( official Nintendo ios. ) The ahbprot function that came with the latest HBC, makes it possible to to use this ios 58 for homebrew.
Channels With ahbprot are made so you won't have to go through the HBC to use the funtion.

AHBPROT has nothing to do with IOS58. IOS58 is for USB2 access, AHBPROT is for things like reading DVD-Video discs or installing unsigned content. They are unrelated.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tueidj said:
Hielkenator said:

AHBPROT has nothing to do with IOS58. IOS58 is for USB2 access, AHBPROT is for things like reading DVD-Video discs or installing unsigned content. They are unrelated.

ahbprot is NOT for installing unsigned content ! Where did you get that info?
You would still need an trucha bugged IOS for installing unsigned stuff.

Offcourse it has nothing to do with ahbprot, ahbprot is homebrew and part of the hackmii/HBC installation.
Using IOS 58 and the ahbprot function gives complete control/direct acces to the Wii's hardware , Without illegal CIOS.
The latest HBC run on IOS 58.

SO your saying, i must install an updated "forwarder" (which is a channel) to benefit from the goodies that "ahbprot" or "ios58" offers?

Yes, if you have the latest HBC and Use ios58 to run it, and have no DVDx any more ( wich is obsolete since ios58 )
for example: to have DVD acces in emu's if you load from a forwarder channel. Or to benifit from the usb 2.0 speeds.

The apps might be updated to use ahbprot, but to get the function from a forwarder, it has to be updated also.
From the HBC it will work though...

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hielkenator said:
No you don't. If AHBPROT is disabled you can patch IOS in memory and disable the signature check. Quite a few apps do this to avoid the need for a cios such as the hackmii installer, priiloader or bushing's anytitledeleter. It's the preferred way to install unsigned content, since cioses can be dangerous to run/install.

QUOTEOffcourse it has nothing to do with ahbprot, ahbprot is homebrew and part of the hackmii/HBC installation.
Using IOS 58 and the ahbprot function gives complete control/direct acces to the Wii's hardware , Without illegal CIOS.
IOS58 is not required for HBC installation either. HBC can still be installed without IOS58 and will run on other IOSes. The only thing 58 does is provide USB2 for mass storage devices. Other apps can still use IOS58 for USB2 even if HBC isn't running on IOS58.

Dravial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have been all over the forums and tried a boatload of things, the latest including modmii, which I installed as if a virgin wii. Bottom line, ever since I upgraded the usb loader gx, games that worked previously will now refuse to load or freeze the system. I wonder if its maybe not the hard drive dying, but its odd that it everything was fine for so long until I updated (admittedly from r713 to current r1037, which is quite a jump). Who knows, any ideas are appreciated.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dravial said:
Well, I have been all over the forums and tried a boatload of things, the latest including modmii, which I installed as if a virgin wii. Bottom line, ever since I upgraded the usb loader gx, games that worked previously will now refuse to load or freeze the system. I wonder if its maybe not the hard drive dying, but its odd that it everything was fine for so long until I updated (admittedly from r713 to current r1037, which is quite a jump). Who knows, any ideas are appreciated.

Delete the global config files, or download the USB loader GX 2.0 package and copy to your SD/ hdd manually.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tueidj said:
Hielkenator said:
No you don't. If AHBPROT is disabled you can patch IOS in memory and disable the signature check. Quite a few apps do this to avoid the need for a cios such as the hackmii installer, priiloader or bushing's anytitledeleter. It's the preferred way to install unsigned content, since cioses can be dangerous to run/install.

QUOTEOffcourse it has nothing to do with ahbprot, ahbprot is homebrew and part of the hackmii/HBC installation.
IOS58 is not required for HBC installation either. HBC can still be installed without IOS58 and will run on other IOSes. The only thing 58 does is provide USB2 for mass storage devices. Other apps can still use IOS58 for USB2 even if HBC isn't running on IOS58.

I thought it was handeld by the meta.xml?
I thought apps could only use ahbprot from the HBC or special forwarders ( Like the Wiimc forwarder channel source )

The hbc installation relies on exploits, after the crash the code is injected?

Sorry if I got things mixed up....

Dravial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(Dravial @ Feb 1 2011, 06:37 AM)

Delete the global config files, or download the USB loader GX 2.0 package and copy to your SD/ hdd manually.

I have completely removed any instance of usb gx, and reinstalled using available dols (r838 to v2.0) - and had no success. I also have now tried installing usb configurable and having the same problem problems with about 20% of my games now no longer loading or freezing. So it looks like its not usb gx... I just wonder what could have caused this. In the mneantime I acquired another HDD I am hoping to use a wbfs manager to pull off any working titles and move them to the new drive.

EDIT: Thank you for the reply, but I think I have my problem lies elsewhere, and have posted here about it: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=197...75#entry3432856
Feel free to follow up on it if you think you can help. I would be ecstatic...

Kusuri

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice guide. I think I've done a similar installation September last year, but I can't remember well.

I just updated to USB Loader GX 2.0, though.

Didn't touch anything IOS or cIOS related, but I'm not sure I'd need to anyway?
Here's my sysCheck. Seems like I just don't have 224:
Code:
sysCheck v2.0.1 by Double_A
...runs on IOS58 (rev 5918).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.2E (v482)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 63615577
Boot2 v4

Found 85 titles.
Found 29 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stub.

IOS9 (rev 778): No Patches
IOS12 (rev 269): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 273): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 520): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 523): No Patches
IOS17 (rev 775): No Patches
IOS21 (rev 782): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1037): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1550): No Patches
IOS31 (rev 3349): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3091): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3348): No Patches