I had a bit of a hard time working out how to get the latest version of USB Loader GX (2.0 with AHBPROT enabled) to work properly on a new Wii I was softmodding, but I noticed when I did that many games worked out of the box, rather than all the custom options I have on my own older Wii and USB Loader GX version. It took me a while to work out the sequence of things to install to update my old softmodded Wii. The main issue with these installers is that things have to be installed in this sequence otherwise the Hermes installer won't work - you will notice this by "bad hash" messages when trying to update a cIOS. This sequence will also install the official IOS58 from System Menu 4.3 to enable native USB 2.0 support, and then update the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX to use this. Supposedly this is the only useful change that has happened after System Menu 4.1, the rest are mainly Wii hack prevention - so don't update after 4.1 (or 4.2), but don't downgrade your firmware either as there is no real need. Also, Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX both now support AHBPROT enabled, which means that the cIOS can be bypassed when accessing the USB drive. Once you have a Homebrew Channel on your Wii, you can install all of these regardless of your System Menu version. The bottom line - better game compatibility, better USB support, faster USB loading because of an official USB 2.0 driver, without updating to System Menu 4.3 Assumptions: - you know enough about Wii modding to know that there are custom IOS's that are installed based on different official IOS's, and that the custom IOS's are used to do magical things by homebrew software - you already have an existing install, or are a new modder that can understand this post - you have the same USB 2.0 HDD setup as me - FAT32 partition with WBFS partition (but other configurations might work) - your Wii is modded at least to the point where you have a Homebrew Channel - you're not doing anything fancy with your Wii, just loading games from a USB drive and maybe running mplayer_ce or DVDX (these changes might not affect other things but I don't know) - your Wii is online and you always choose "Network Installs" (although you could do offline installs if you can be bothered) The magic sequence: Update the Homebrew Channel - either download the latest installer, or just click on the world icon in the bottom right which will do an auto-update. Homebrew Channel 0.8 introduced USB 2.0 and AHBPROT support, so you should want at least that. Install IOS58 to enable native USB 2.0 support - you can update to System Menu 4.3 if you like, but it will probably break all your existing mods and it's a lot easier and faster to just use Tantric's IOS58 Installer http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer Install Waninkoko's cIOS 249 rev17 (base 38) - this is a solid version to install Hermes' cIOS's from, but will be updated later. Find 'cIOS Installer 38r17' on FileTrip.net Install Hermes' cIOS's - this will speed up mplayer_ce, and add better support for games. I think these do other things as well but I'm a user not a pusher so I'm not sure. Be sure to install: IOS202 - install IOS60 as a base IOS222 - install IOS38 as a base IOS223 - install IOS37 as a base IOS224 - install IOS57 as a base See the official site for more info: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...-222-223-a.html Install latest Wainkoko cIOS-X - should be installed twice based on different IOS's: IOS250 (Base 57) IOS249 (Base 56) This info came from this post: http://gbatemp.net/t270227-usb-loader-gx-b...-to-system-menu Update USB Loader GX - you can use the built in updater, but then you have to connect the drive to a PC to delete all the config files, so you might as well delete all of your precious config files and install it all from scratch by downloading from here: http://usbloadergx.koureio.net/downloads I also updated the forwarder channel, but I don't think you have to, but you might as well finish the job properly. If your forwarder doesn't start USB Loader GX, then try launching it via the Homebrew Channel. If this works, then you are almost there, try installing IOS58 again. I hope this helps someone else out there, it took me a few hours and a lot of trial and error to work this all out!