Hardware Bricking Wii Question

wiiner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

The very term 'Bricking' my beautifully modded PAL console has made me so paranoid that I have never even looked at a non
PAL game before.

However, my younger brother (who's Wii I have also modded) is a massive fan of Tales of Symphonia and so would like to be able to play the Wii version which currently has not been released in Europe.

Now, I am of the understanding that the only way I can brick my Wii is if I try to run a game from a different territory with a newer software update on it than my Wii is currently running. Is this correct?

If so, this leads me to believe that as long as I am not using very recent games then I will be ok - as, even if the games do have software updates on, because they are old the software will almost certainly be older than the spftware on my Wii. would I be right?

Finally, our Wiis are modded with Wiikeys (1.9g), does this allow the playing of Wii games from different territories or do I need to do something else too?

Thanks for your help, it would be nice for me to get this game for my brother but not if it jeopardises us playing anything else.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
Use the config disc for your wiikey (maybe 1.3) to turn on region free settings to play region free games OR use RegionFrii program on the ISO before you burn it...

if you put the game in, it will do one of two things, a) play fine, or b) ask you to update your system menu. refuse the update and you won't brick it, but you won't be able to play it...

that's it
smile.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Volkov said:
Use the config disc for your wiikey (maybe 1.3) to turn on region free settings to play region free games OR use RegionFrii program on the ISO before you burn it...

if you put the game in, it will do one of two things, a) play fine, or b) ask you to update your system menu. refuse the update and you won't brick it, but you won't be able to play it...

that's it
smile.gif

So it really is that easy eh?
Is it that easy with all modchips?

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
Some modchips are even easier. Wiikey is pretty stable and has a lot of support for wii games. You should not have any problems
smile.gif

wiiner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this guys - knew I could rely on you
smile.gif

From reading the replies it looks like the best thing is to set my Wiikey to region free and try and run the game. If it doesn't try to update anything then great - if it does then I'll quickly reset the console and have a play around with this region frii thing.

Cheers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1