Bricking Wii Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by wiiner, Aug 25, 2008.

Aug 25, 2008

Bricking Wii Question by wiiner at 2:22 PM (1,079 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. wiiner
    OP

Newcomer wiiner Member

United Kingdom
    Hi there,

The very term 'Bricking' my beautifully modded PAL console has made me so paranoid that I have never even looked at a non
    PAL game before.

However, my younger brother (who's Wii I have also modded) is a massive fan of Tales of Symphonia and so would like to be able to play the Wii version which currently has not been released in Europe.

Now, I am of the understanding that the only way I can brick my Wii is if I try to run a game from a different territory with a newer software update on it than my Wii is currently running. Is this correct?

If so, this leads me to believe that as long as I am not using very recent games then I will be ok - as, even if the games do have software updates on, because they are old the software will almost certainly be older than the spftware on my Wii. would I be right?

Finally, our Wiis are modded with Wiikeys (1.9g), does this allow the playing of Wii games from different territories or do I need to do something else too?

Thanks for your help, it would be nice for me to get this game for my brother but not if it jeopardises us playing anything else.

2. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Use the config disc for your wiikey (maybe 1.3) to turn on region free settings to play region free games OR use RegionFrii program on the ISO before you burn it...

if you put the game in, it will do one of two things, a) play fine, or b) ask you to update your system menu. refuse the update and you won't brick it, but you won't be able to play it...

that's it [​IMG]

3. Veloxi

Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

Iceland
    What Volkov said, just refuse the update and you should be good. It won't just "mysteriously" brick your Wii

4. OrcMonkey©

Banned OrcMonkey© Banned

unless you get some virus but probably their isnt one

5. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    So it really is that easy eh?
    Is it that easy with all modchips?

6. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Some modchips are even easier. Wiikey is pretty stable and has a lot of support for wii games. You should not have any problems [​IMG]

7. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Use RegionFrii and Brick Blocker on the ISO, and it'll run fine.

8. wiiner
    OP

Newcomer wiiner Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for this guys - knew I could rely on you [​IMG]

From reading the replies it looks like the best thing is to set my Wiikey to region free and try and run the game. If it doesn't try to update anything then great - if it does then I'll quickly reset the console and have a play around with this region frii thing.

Cheers!