Hacking Bricked :(

royant1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Should have come to this forum and ask for help when failing to restore backup instead of upgrading the firmware assuming it will be okay.

If that was a viable option, it would've been mentioned as alternative in the guide.

You are absolutely right, completely dumb from my side. At least I will have a hard moded device to play with :)

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But what do you suppose caused you to fail upgrading to begin with? That's the real issue. You wouldn't be where you are now if that hadn't happened. Did you use the newest version of OTPhelper linked to in the Plailect guide?
I have no way to try this, and i won't reccomend it to anyone, but i think you can update to 4.5 via cart. then set up a cfw on sysnand with no firm patch(like rxtools devmode). and then use sysupdater with the N3ds files.

Reactions: Quantumcat

V0LT!GE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes u can and u must use 2.1 but u know that 2.1 was only for o3ds right? And that why u needed to patch the bricked emunand with 2.1 and if u update form 2.1 on n3ds u will brick and why? because the n3ds never had 2.1 update

Without 2.1 u would never be able to dumb ur otp.bin

Last edited by V0LT!GE,

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes u can and u must use 2.1 but u know that 2.1 was only for o3ds right? And that why u needed to patch the bricked emunand with 2.1 and if u update form 2.1 on n3ds u will brick and why? because the n3ds never had 2.1 update

Without 2.1 u would never be able to dumb ur otp.bin
I think you're scaring the guy too much. Now OTPhelper does all the patching for N3ds users, so no need to worry.
Currently trying my first A9LH on N3DS :unsure:
You got this man!

Reactions: LuigiXL

royant1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Currently trying my first A9LH on N3DS :unsure:

Good luck. I successfully did it twice. Just make sure to come here in case something weird happens, don't make my mistake. I could have easily avoided bricking if i came here first when i wasn't sure what to do.

Reactions: LuigiXL

EarlAB

hon hon titty croissants
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that...

\/↓↓Screw him↓↓\/
brick1.png

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The update seemed to work fine. The device did a reset and didn't load. I do see the blue light on.

I have a sysnand backup.

You can not update from 2.1 N3DS, even it updating, it brokes the firms. Your nand backups are probably invalid due to some kind of corruption or fragmentation.

- If you downgraded to 2.1.0 on New 3DS but for some reason have no functional NAND backups(with or without a functional browser), I am working on a possible solution involving EmuNAND + NCSD / Crypto trickery.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/3DS-Stuck-(2.1.0-Without-Functional-Browser)

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/NAND-Size

Reactions: astronautlevel

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Does SysNAND validation checker on OTPHelper check to make sure the dumped NAND is okay, i.e. the kind of corruption/fragmentation/dumpingerror that probably caused OP's problems? Can this be checked immediately before advancing to the next step?

I've successfully A9LHed my O3DS, but I'm nervous to do my N3DS. If OTPHelper can do this, it would make me a lot less nervous.

Last edited by regnad,

XxShalevElimelechxX

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
You can not update from 2.1 N3DS, even it updating, it brokes the firms. Your nand backups are probably invalid due to some kind of corruption or fragmentation.

- If you downgraded to 2.1.0 on New 3DS but for some reason have no functional NAND backups(with or without a functional browser), I am working on a possible solution involving EmuNAND + NCSD / Crypto trickery.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/3DS-Stuck-(2.1.0-Without-Functional-Browser)

But he BRICKED..!
He said he updated his 3DS and now he has a BLACK SCREEN.

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does SysNAND validation checker on OTPHelper check to make sure the dumped NAND is okay, i.e. the kind of corruption/fragmentation/dumpingerror that probably caused OP's problems? Can this be checked immediately before advancing to the next step?

I've successfully A9LHed my O3DS, but I'm nervous to do my N3DS. If OTPHelper can do this, it would make me a lot less nervous.

U can check Nand sizes, they usually all have the same.

The nand backup I Did during the otp process was just 844mb and was not being recognized(probably cause was corrupted and D0ke wrote code to protect from it).
Fortunately I could use my initial 9.2 backup just fine thanks due to the multiple backups Plaleict's guide instructs you to do. Actually this is one of the reason I truly think the guide is mostly Safe, He double protects you from basically everything that can go wrong, all should be fine if u do everything as stated.

But he BRICKED..!
He said he updated his 3DS and now he has a BLACK SCREEN.

Several users have reported done the same as OP and bricked afterwards. probably some corruption happens when over-ridding the unbricked 2.1 nand for the 9.2 on the N3DS(system which actually was produced way after 2.1 was gone)

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, downgrade emu first just so if it fails it's a whole lot easier to recover from? I thought the idea was so you could extract otp directly from the emunand (which should have the otp as well?)
You can't extract the OTP from EmuNAND, in fact, there is no CFW that can load a 2.1 EmuNAND. It's just for safety, to make sure the downgrade process goes smoothly, since it doesn't always and a failed downgrade is a brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/intel-cpu-dispensing-vending-machine-game-spotted...