Hacking Bricked Wii

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the short of the story.
I can boot up the wii and the health screen shows up but as soon as I hit "A" I get a blank screen.
What happened was my friend was installing a custom theme. ( which I told him not too) And he messed it all up.
Now. I am the one who hacked his wii, and Priiloader was installed when I hacked it. But, now for some reason it doesn't seem to want to boot.
I think it is on system menu 4.3U but I don't remember for sure.
Thanks in advance.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
does the wii have bootmii @ boot2 installed? If it's installed you'll notice the disc slot blink twice when booting.

If you don't, and u can't access priiloader, then plz tell me you have a nand backup? If so, then you can have DeadlyFoez repair your wii for about $40+S&H

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...priiloader actually overwrites the system channel, so installing a custom system channel afterwards may actually overwrite priiloader (the same way changing a system channel also causes priiloader to be removed). I'm not familiar enough with custom themes to know for sure, though. :unsure:

Either way: just the standard checks: try to boot priiloader as the above 2 guys said (hold reset while booting).
If not: try booting bootmii as boot2 (put the \bootmii folder with the correct files within it in the SD card).

Neither...then all the backup/restore options are exhausted. Don't feel too bad about it, though. You installed priiloader and warned your friend not to use custom skins. However, it's his wii (or so I read it), and he choose not to listen. I'd simply congratulate him on installing the blackest skin ever. Just bounce that question on how to fix it right back to him ("Yeah, I usually fix it by not having custom skins in the first place as they pose a bricking risk if you don't know what you're doing. Yes, and I told you about it. So what are you going to do about it?").

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hmm...priiloader actually overwrites the system channel, so installing a custom system channel afterwards may actually overwrite priiloader (the same way changing a system channel also causes priiloader to be removed). I'm not familiar enough with custom themes to know for sure, though. :unsure:
No, the applied theme is a totally separate .app file from the one used to load the system menu\priiloader (although both would be included in a system menu WAD)

Btw, I appreciate the fact that when you're unsure of something you state so flat-out. I do that too when I'm not sure of something, and I think it's much better doing that than what others often do (which is to give info they're uncertain about but say it with full confidence)

Cheers m8

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Probably the best thing to do here is to use an Universal Autoboot-DVD with wad manager to reinstall the SM. (Since this is a modded wii cIOS60 should be present to autoload the DVD using a GC controller)
sorry I don't have the link but it's readily available if you search for it.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't a boot2 on it. I do have a nand back up of it as I always keep a nand back up every wii I hack just in case I (like this one) get the wii sent back my way for them doing stupid stuff. But, I don't really see the need to get it fix as he has already bought a new one, and I figured I would see if I can get this one working.
It's not a total waste though. I can try and take the SD card slot out of the broken wii and replace it on my other friend's wii that was broken by my friend's kid with broken wii.
Isn't karma a bitch! :whip:

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Probably the best thing to do here is to use an Universal Autoboot-DVD with wad manager to reinstall the SM. (Since this is a modded wii cIOS60 should be present to autoload the DVD using a GC controller)
sorry I don't have the link but it's readily available if you search for it.
That's a retarded idea. Even if he is able to autoboot a recovery DVD (Softmod ANY Wii and recently ModMii guides give you the setup for that), it would be way smarter to install the appropriate app file.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Ok Joost I just gave a possible solution for the problem (maybe not the best one), give us yours.

see bolded text

That's a retarded idea. Even if he is able to autoboot a recovery DVD (Softmod ANY Wii and recently ModMii guides give you the setup for that), it would be way smarter to install the appropriate app file.

edit:

reason why it's smarter is because reinstalling the original .app file\theme is enough to fix a theme brick. Reinstalling the entire system menu would install the original theme but it would also uninstall priiloader, which especially in this case is an unnecessary risk

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
mymenuify mod is prolly the best app for the job
Is it readily available in Autoboot-DVD form? if you can you post a link for this?
I have an Autoboot-DVD that runs bootMii and hence Homebrew channel which I used once in a Semibrick, maybe he can do the same here (I suppose he has the theme installer since this is how he got the brick in the first place)

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there is a small glimmer that I might be able to fix this?
But in order to run an auto boot dvd, shouldn't the wii be able to read burnt media?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
But in order to run an auto boot dvd, shouldn't the wii be able to read burnt media?
Can yours not?

Btw, what guide did you follow when you hacked his Wii, and how long ago was it? That should help us get an idea of what was installed.

@[member='AbdallahTerro']: I want to get more info on the subject before suggesting using an autoboot DVD, but even if I didn't have one, it's better not to spit out random ideas just because.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can yours not?

Btw, what guide did you follow when you hacked his Wii, and how long ago was it? That should help us get an idea of what was installed.

@[member='AbdallahTerro']: I want to get more info on the subject before suggesting using an autoboot DVD, but even if I didn't have one, it's better not to spit out random ideas just because.
My Wii can read back ups just fine. The bricked wii will not.
I hacked it about 9 months ago using modmii. Don't really know what else there is to say. Added a couple emulator, and Cfg USB
At this point random ideas are okay. The wii is already screwed, so how much worst could it get?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Crap, that means no autoboot disc. XFlak didn't add the patched dip module until after you hacked the Wii, so you would have to switch out the drive with yours and install a modchip.

At this point I think it would be best if you had Foez flash your NAND using the bootmii backup that you made the day you hacked it.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap, that means no autoboot disc. XFlak didn't add the patched dip module until after you hacked the Wii, so you would have to switch out the drive with yours and install a modchip.

At this point I think it would be best if you had Foez flash your NAND using the bootmii backup that you made the day you hacked it.
Yeh. I'm not going to waste my time getting it fixed. If it were my primary wii then I would send it to DeadlyFoez.
I was hoping I could maybe fix it myself. Well I'm going to take it apart, and have some fun with it.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it readily available in Autoboot-DVD form? if you can you post a link for this?
I have an Autoboot-DVD that runs bootMii and hence Homebrew channel which I used once in a Semibrick, maybe he can do the same here (I suppose he has the theme installer since this is how he got the brick in the first place)
I don't get why to even use Autoboot DVD's. It

a) doesn't make sense
b) is redundant with priiloader and boot2 bootmii
c) needs a DVD.

While it's a good idea for some, it took a very weird path, with everyone begging for apps on a DVD.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why to even use Autoboot DVD's. It

a) doesn't make sense
b) is redundant with priiloader and boot2 bootmii
c) needs a DVD.

While it's a good idea for some, it took a very weird path, with everyone begging for apps on a DVD.
It was a last resort. He can't access Priiloader and he doesn't have bootmii as boot2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16