lfisdg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Hi all,

I recently bought a used wii (US version) in good faith without actually testing it prior to buying it. The seller swore he just tested it before coming out... well as it turns out, some people do not always tell the truth.

Since the seller refuses to answer my attempts to contact him over the past days it is impossible for me to provide any information of what may have caused the wii to brick.

All I can do is provide what little information I have;

Upon pressing the On button the LED turns green and the drive flashes blue once then all activity seizes. At no point is there any picture or sound to be found. The disc drive accepts and ejects discs. I can not turn on the wii using either of the two remotes.

I have tested all external components on a working wii and both wiimotes work as does the sensor bar and component cable. However, the power adapter is defective. Could lightning have fried the adapter and the console? and would the wii power on at all if that was the case?

The seller said the wii was not chipped nor modded in any way to play copy games. And since the only games that was included where genuine ones, that seems like it could have been the truth.

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have tried holding down the reset button while powering it on without any success. But I have not tried booting into the recovery menu with a GC controller yet.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
IIRC, one blue light flash when opening means BootMii is installed as boot2. Try getting different versions of BootMii and see if you can get it to start. Then, see if HBC boots up, since you obviously don't have a NAND backup.

lfisdg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
CarbonX13 said:
IIRC, one blue light flash when opening means BootMii is installed as boot2. Try getting different versions of BootMii and see if you can get it to start. Then, see if HBC boots up, since you obviously don't have a NAND backup.

oh, I thought one blue flash was standard on every wii console? To be honest I have not touched a wii in 3 years prior to buying this one a few days back.

How would I go about trying a different version of BootMii?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
lfisdg said:
oh, I thought one blue flash was standard on every wii console? To be honest I have not touched a wii in 3 years prior to buying this one a few days back.

How would I go about trying a different version of BootMii?
Yeah, you'll get one flash regardless. BootMii has an extra flash after that.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you hear the disc spinning ? do you hear a little beep when turning on?
I'm sorry.....
Otherwise this is a FULL brick.
Solution: send for repiars.
2nd solution: Find the seller and beat the crap out of him.

lfisdg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Hielkenator said:
I'm sorry.....

If I have a disc in the drive while powering it on I do hear a very small beep and I can definatly hear the disc spinning too.
Is that good news?

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
When the disc is read and registered (so that it shows up in the disc channel) it will typically give a gentle beep noise.
However this should not be confused with the other sounds the drive may make such as the clicking noise of an attempted read. Running a disc in another wii until the disc is read into the disc channel will tell you what it should sound like.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Either a full brick or a defective/unseated bluetooth module causing this... If you can trust the seller's word on this particular wii never softmodded then probability of bluetooth module causing this increases...

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
2 options here:

a) send it in for repairs(but IF the wii has been modded, Nintendo will charge you for repairs...)
b) get your money back from the seller.

marice

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hielkenator said:
I'm sorry.....

Exterminate the trustworthy seller

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could try opening your Wii to look for loose contacts.
It sound like a bleutooth problem.

Or as mentioned before a low level brick.
( repairs mus be done by nintendo )

TheNewbPleaser

Trophies
XP
Country
if u have a SD card try getting bootmii to work http://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii look for versions there
tongue.gif
try and keep trying if anything comes up.. only hope is nintendo..wich i dont recomend bcuz the wii is obviously Softmodded..so ull be charged.ALOT...rather just dispute at paypal and get ur money back..

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Evil-Popeye said:
I thought if you couldn't turn the wii on with the wiimote then the bluetooth was KO'ed

one can test that case only if wiimote is previously synced... In @OP's case I doubt he can be sure if wiimotes are synced or not...

still if they are indeed synced and wii powers up using wiimote then it's a full brick since bluetooth dongle stuff is out of question...

lfisdg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Thank you all for your responses!

I found a reputable game shop that does repairs too by referral from a friend. They said they would take a look at it and give me a price once they diagnose the fault. They would do that free of charge even if I for whatever reason chose not to go for the repair. A pretty good deal in my opinion. I will update you all once I have anything to report.

lfisdg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
ok...

Today I was told that I had to replace the mainboard for about 125$. I declined the offer and was not charged anything at all. I was not offered to sell the machine to the shop nor was I pressured into replacing the mainboard either so I have got no reason to doubt the diagnosis.

Is there anything else I can do but selling it for spare parts at this point?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: ohio