Hacking [Bricked] NEW 3DS XL (2.1FW) Update with Cartridge.

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can't read. You posted the quote and STILL changed around the words. Turning notifications off because you obviously just want to argue.

Yeah, I can't read, sure thing. :)

You have yet to explain stuff I pointed out before. But anyway, I guess let's just stop here since this is going nowhere.

Reactions: Halvorsen

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So untill now, i dont know what i was supose to do with a 2.1FW N3DS stuck with no functional Browser.

I just cant do nothing at all? I meaing its only way out it's Hardmod.

I just wanna know if i got stuck again what i supose to do.

Thanks. I mainly wanna know if my Smash Bros cart has 8.1U or 9.2U on it, since it could be either one.

I can help you!!

Look at back your cartrige, not case. The cartrige.

So "AXCE 152" "AXCE 252" "AXCE 352"
Hold the Update - 9.2.0-*U

Last edited by Redirr,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is another reason some people shouldn't start at part 1 of the guide. Everyone should just get a 9.2 downgrade, CFW and start on Part 4.
You do realize that parts 1-3 are basically downgrading to 9.2 and installing CFW+EmuNAND via Menuhax, right?

Look at back your cartrige, not case. The cartrige.

So "AXCE 152" "AXCE 252" "AXCE 352"
Hold the Update - 9.2.0-*U
The 7th digit of the code on the back indicates the cartridge revision. For Smash Bros.:
  • Revision 0: 8.1.0 (first FW to officially support N3DS)
  • Revision 1: 8.1.0
  • Revision 2: 9.2.0
  • Revision 5: 9.9.0
(I don't know if there's a Rev.03 or Rev.04.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: s/number/code/

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't read. You posted the quote and STILL changed around the words. Turning notifications off because you obviously just want to argue.

Lemme spell it out.
OP has a NEW 3DS, which is the first step.
OP is at 2.1 downgrading for a9lh.
OP has no browser.
OP should NOT update!

You're actually wrong. Read every bit of that guide, including the links. The general guide is for 2.1 with non-functioning browser. Those steps at the end are for anyone who does not meet one of the three conditions detailed (Old 3ds with no NAND backup, new 3ds no NAND backup, wireless switched off).

The link for new 3ds with no NAND backup sheds the most light on this. The correct step is to use a card to update to 4.X, but it carries a risk of hard bricking. The guide posted at that link provides suggestions to limit the risk, but it seems that there's a good chance of bricking regardless.

Last edited by Townsperson,
Reactions: Kyojin

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 7th digit of the code on the back indicates the cartridge revision. For Smash Bros.:
  • Revision 0: 8.1.0 (first FW to officially support N3DS)
  • Revision 1: 8.1.0
  • Revision 2: 9.2.0
  • Revision 5: 9.9.0
(I don't know if there's a Rev.03 or Rev.04.)
Where it's this 7th digit?

I know this
"AXCE 152" "AXCE 252" "AXCE 352"

All of then has 9.2U

Mine its ACXCE252 111

it carries a risk of hard bricking. The guide posted at that link provides suggestions to limit the risk, but it seems that there's a good chance of bricking regardless.

OK! So the way out it's update NEW 3DS to 4.X
But it's has a chance of brick. Like happen to me!!!

So there it's... I got no luck with this one!!

Last edited by Redirr,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not bashing the OP, I just said that he ignored the first instruction on the page and that's that. Nothing's gonna change the brick unless he gets a hardmod. If it says not to update, don't update. Simple as that, so stop crying. I never said the guide was perfect, either, so I don't know where you got that from. The guide isn't for people who are scared of bricks, either read the guide to the letter or brick yourself. Even simple logic would prevent you from updating to a firmware from a cartridge that existed before n3DS firmware could be created.
But he DIDN'T ignore the first instruction on the page. The first instruction says that updating above 6.x causes a brick. He only updated to 4.x.

Reactions: Kyojin

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
But he DIDN'T ignore the first instruction on the page. The first instruction says that updating above 6.x causes a brick. He only updated to 4.x.
No, the first instruction was if you are on n3DS with no nand backups OR a broken browser, don't update. It's the first sentence. The 4.x stuff comes AFTER that. Pretty sure updating with a cart is still updating, nothing after "do not update in any circumstance" changes the fact that you shouldn't update.
Even if, it never instructed the person in this situation to update to 4.x.
The guide says if you're unclear on an instruction, go ask us.

DaChosenOne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, the first instruction was if you are on n3DS with no nand backups OR a broken browser, don't update. It's the first sentence. The 4.x stuff comes AFTER that. Pretty sure updating with a cart is still updating, nothing after "do not update in any circumstance" changes the fact that you shouldn't update.
I support this as with my limited knowledge, I don't know how else you would update the firmware besides cart upgrade and thru network( which is what you don't want to do). I did mine a9lh with the thought of" don't do anything if you are unsure." When you follow instructions

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I support this as with my limited knowledge, I don't know how else you would update the firmware besides cart upgrade and thru network( which is what you don't want to do). I did mine a9lh with the thought of" don't do anything if you are unsure." When you follow instructions
PS I don't understand the reason to upgrade to 4.x anyways? The instruction said to upgrade back up to 9.2 or the most current one for redNAND.dont quote me on that, I only did it twice

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Honestly, please reread it. Just for future reference. OP didn't do anything wrong, there's just a good chance of bricking...

Also: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-restore-n3ds-from-fw-2-1-without-nand-backups.424476

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

PS I don't understand the reason to upgrade to 4.x anyways? The instruction said to upgrade back up to 9.2 or the most current one for redNAND.dont quote me on that, I only did it twice

Because there isn't any way to upgrade to 9.X without a functioning browser. Which is why you need to upgrade to 4.X first. At that point, you'll have access to an entry point to load Decrypt9 and flash a 9.X backup.

Last edited by Townsperson,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
True, but I read that as don't update until we tell you how to do it a safe way. You can't expect someone to stay on 2.1 forever, eventually they'll have to update in some form or another.

carrieshot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on if you still have CFW or not :P, my 3ds was completely messed up where it got the arm9 error each time, because it was on 2.1 for the old 3ds and because the ctrtransfer in that guide messed up my sysnand, so I used a file called movable.sed that had it at 11.5, but if you do replace it and do the steps it will reset your 3ds so you'd have to setup the 3ds for the time, internet and all that stuff again, but you'd still have cfw. Now I haven't tested this on New 3DS though I bet it would still work since I have 3 3ds systems so I could easily get a file for what people need. Btw the file had 11.5 on it, so i updated without needing to do more stuff since i can't update from 2.1 through the settings.

Last edited by carrieshot,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hold up hooolddd uuupppp, we're less than a week from PM:TTYD releasing and it has not leaked yet? :o Miracles do still exist in this dystopia 🤣
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True. People hated on Fallout 76 at first also, but they still have huge numbers playing online.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is PM:TTYD
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not all of them, but yea many.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Metroid prime 4 I wouldn't be surprised if that title will be a SwitchU title (here's hoping Nintendo won't go with such a ridiculous name again)
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hence me saying almost 🤣
    But for photos and OS and my ROMs not risking it on a refurbished drive lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you checked both the brew and 2u sites?
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    But yes I would welcome MP4 too or even 2+3 remaster/HD to hold us over untill MP4
    +1
    Switch 2 Switched at birth
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I check brew almost daily (alongside tinfoil sorted on release date) for new games (and cry because of the amount of shovelware and hentai getting released), am unaware of the 2u site
    Super Switch
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    HUB
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    And the switch 3 Router
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (every one of those fitting after network-, and all play part in the OSI networking layer model)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Google switch nsp and you will see,it, that site
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Aww how cool that site is Nintendo switch to me :D
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (de-URLing the URL 🤣)
    Switch 2 U
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Switch 2 U