Hacking [Bricked] NEW 3DS XL (2.1FW) Update with Cartridge.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, come on...

Now, let's analyze that page from top to bottom (key text will be bold). First, it says this:

Alright, so if we update to > 6.x (I guess >= 6.x), we will brick the N3DS. OP wants to upgrade to 4.x, which I think is not above 6.x.
But, the end of the sentence says that we have to restore from a NAND backup. OP has a NAND backup, let's continue.

See the bold parts. Let's continue.

OP has a functional NAND backup. Let's continue.

OP mentioned he had it on.

Aaaaand... that's it. After that, you can find the instructions and it never says that it's not meant for a N3DS.

Stop bashing the OP and admit that all he did was that he followed the instruction. The guide was written by a human being, it's NOT perfect.
I'm not bashing the OP, I just said that he ignored the first instruction on the page and that's that. Nothing's gonna change the brick unless he gets a hardmod. If it says not to update, don't update. Simple as that, so stop crying. I never said the guide was perfect, either, so I don't know where you got that from. The guide isn't for people who are scared of bricks, either read the guide to the letter or brick yourself. Even simple logic would prevent you from updating to a firmware from a cartridge that existed before n3DS firmware could be created.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not bashing the OP, I just said that he ignored the first instruction on the page and that's that. Nothing's gonna change the brick unless he gets a hardmod. If it says not to update, don't update. Simple as that, so stop crying. I never said the guide was perfect, either, so I don't know where you got that from. The guide isn't for people who are scared of bricks, either read the guide to the letter or brick yourself. Even simple logic would prevent you from updating to a firmware from a cartridge that existed before n3DS firmware could be created.

Wow...

Let me quote that again:
IF YOU HAVE A NEW 3DS AND SOMEHOW GET YOURSELF TO 2.1 WITH NO NAND BACKUPS OR A BROKEN BROWSER, DO NOT UPDATE

So:

IF console is New 3DS, AND on 2.1 with NO NAND backup, THEN DO NO UPDATE.

Now, OP's situation:

Console is New 3DS. Console is on 2.1. OP HAS a NAND backup.

He DID NOT just ignore the first instruction, it just WAS NOT applying to his case, so he moved forward to the next instruction, which is what a person trying to follow instructions would do. Why wouldn't you admit that is something that I cannot understand.

Reactions: Garro and XRaTiX

qdog82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But for some reason the Browser frozem\Crash and didnt work's.
"IF YOU HAVE A >>>NEW 3DS<<< AND SOMEHOW GET YOURSELF TO 2.1 WITH NO NAND BACKUPS OR A BROKEN BROWSER, DO NOT UPDATE. IF YOU UPDATE FROM A 2.1 NEW 3DS TO A VERSION ABOVE 6.X, YOU WILL BRICK. FOR NOW, YOU MUST RESTORE FROM A NAND BACKUP OF SOME KIND."

Says it clearly in the first sentence, if you browser isn't working do not update!

No problem with the guide. I still fill sorry for OP, hope you find somebody to hardmod you system.

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Says it clearly in the first sentence, if you browser isn't working do not update!

Not you too... Please read the WHOLE sentence, understand it, and be aware that the OP claims that he/she HAD a NAND backup and that he/she was reportedly trying to update to 4.x, which is less than 6.x, before saying THEY are the ones that cannot read.

qdog82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not you too... Please read the WHOLE sentence, understand it, and be aware that the OP claims that he/she HAD a NAND backup and that he/she was reportedly trying to update to 4.x, which is less than 6.x, before saying THEY are the ones that cannot read.

Dude, you should read it again, you clearly don't underdstand the word "or".

Wait i help you... "a logical operation which gives the value one if at least one operand has the value one, and otherwise gives a value of zero"

So if one of the 2 statements is true (no backup or broken browser) then do not update becomes true.

Last edited by qdog82,

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dude, you should read it again, you clearly dont underdstand the word "or".

Wait i help you... "a logical operation which gives the value one if at least one operand has the value one, and otherwise gives a value of zero"

So if one of the 2 statements is true (no backup or broken browser) then do not update becomes true.

I'm pretty much familiar with the "OR" operator, thank you.

Now, why does it only states that updating to a version above 6.x will brick? Why does it differentiate those who have NAND backups and those who do not?

I already went thought the statements of that page in my previous reply, so I'm certainly not doing that again.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm rather curious as to why the browser wasn't working, despite the successful 2.1 downgrade with OTPHelper's One-Click-Setup.

OP, did you also have arm9.bin on your root? What URL were you using? Did you get your arm9.bin and arm11.bin from the Decrypt9 .zip? Before you replace arm9.bin and arm11.bin, how big, in bytes, is arm9.bin and arm11.bin on your SD root?

qdog82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty much familiar with the "OR" operator, thank you.

Now, why does it only states that updating to a version above 6.x will brick? Why does it differentiate those who have NAND backups and those who do not?

I already went thought the statements of that page in my previous reply, so I'm certainly not doing that again.

Because the next higher firmware with new 3ds support is 9.0, which is above 6.x, Firmware higher then 6.x is mentioned because at version 7.x they changed the crypto keys.

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Because the next higher firmware with new 3ds support is 9.0, which is above 6.x, Firmware higher then 6.x is mentioned because at version 7.x they changed the crypto keys.
Hence, versions under 6.x should be safe in new 3DS? Not really, but that's what the guides kinda implies by specifying the "above 6.x" (I mean, why would you specify a version when updating to any version would brick you). So yeah, the guide has a slightly misleading warning that should be fixed to avoid situations like what OP did.

Reactions: Kyojin

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N3DS firmware cannot go below 9.0 because the firmware before that was never created for N3DS. Hence the error given at bootup, the guide was misleading, stop defending it.

qdog82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hence, versions under 6.x should be safe in new 3DS? Not really, but that's what the guides kinda implies by specifying the "above 6.x" (I mean, why would you specify a version when updating to any version would brick you). So yeah, the guide has a slightly misleading warning that should be fixed to avoid situations like what OP did.

No, because there are no firmwares for the N3ds under 9.x (US or EU). How can it be safe, if it doesn't exists?

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If the guide completely excluded the "Above 6.X" sentence, the meaning of the previous one still wouldn't change. No additional information changes the meaning of "Do not update". I understand the confusion, but ultimately the guide still stated not to update at that point.

It certainly sucks, by this really isn't a fault of the guide. Clarification should be added, but the guide didn't provide incorrect information (Though, you could argue it was incomplete).

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If the guide completely excluded the "Above 6.X" sentence, the meaning of the previous one still wouldn't change. No additional information changes the meaning of "Do not update". I understand the confusion, but ultimately the guide still stated not to update at that point.

It certainly sucks, by this really isn't a fault of the guide. Clarification should be added, but the guide didn't provide incorrect information (Though, you could argue it was incomplete).

Okay, then why does it say right after that:
If you downgraded to 2.1.0, on Old 3DS, 2DS, or New 3DS but for some reason you have a nonfunctional browser, this guide is for you.

And why does it keep giving instructions involving an update to 4.x for those who have a New 3DS AND a functional NAND backup if it was not meant for N3DS users?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is another reason some people shouldn't start at part 1 of the guide. Everyone should just get a 9.2 downgrade, CFW and start on Part 4. I just did this to my N3DSXL, and I don't remember it telling me to update to 4.x before anything (again I started on Part 4 so maybe that's why). I downgraded my emuNAND to 2.1, flashed it to sysNAND, connected to Wi-Fi, dumped the OTP with the arm11.bin provided, flashed back the NAND 9.2 backup I made with EmuNAND9, installed A9LH and that was that.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, then why does it say right after that:

And why does it keep giving involving an update to 4.x for those who have a New 3DS AND a functional NAND backup if it was not meant for N3DS users?

If you check the section for updating without a NAND backup on n3DS, it links to a separate guide. This one (By someone on gbatemp) indicates that it is possible to hard brick when updating a n3DS from a 4.X game card (And lists two additional steps to take to help avoid it).

I'll admit that it should be added to Plailect's guide. Chances are this kind of thing is uncommon, so it's without much verification in either respect (Bricking or not from game card). It's possible Plailect wasn't aware, but you have a point that there wasn't much else for the OP to do.

Either way, it's always good to read everything, especially when dealing with something dangerous like 2.1 on n3DS.

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you check the section for updating without a NAND backup on n3DS, it links to a separate guide. This one (By someone on gbatemp) indicates that it is possible to hard brick when updating a n3DS from a 4.X game card (And lists two additional steps to take to help avoid it).

I'll admit that it should be added to Plailect's guide. Chances are this kind of thing is uncommon, so it's without much verification in either respect (Bricking or not from game card). It's possible Plailect wasn't aware, but you have a point that there wasn't much else for the OP to do.

Either way, it's always good to read everything, especially when dealing with something dangerous like 2.1 on n3DS.

That is why it would be nice if @Plailect could check this thread and add some clarification to that particular wiki page.

Reactions: Quantumcat

DaChosenOne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am new to this 3ds hacking thing. But when I did that step, I just choose not to update. Cause I didn't even know about nand backup. so I guess in my case, my lack of knowledge benefited me.sucks for OP, good luck on hardmod tho,I want to do it for my N3DS, just as an extra precaution if anything goes wrong in the future.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow...

Let me quote that again:

So:

IF console is New 3DS, AND on 2.1 with NO NAND backup, THEN DO NO UPDATE.

Now, OP's situation:

Console is New 3DS. Console is on 2.1. OP HAS a NAND backup.

He DID NOT just ignore the first instruction, it just WAS NOT applying to his case, so he moved forward to the next instruction, which is what a person trying to follow instructions would do. Why wouldn't you admit that is something that I cannot understand.
You can't read. You posted the quote and STILL changed around the words. Turning notifications off because you obviously just want to argue.
IF YOU HAVE A NEW 3DS AND SOMEHOW GET YOURSELF TO 2.1 WITH NO NAND BACKUPS OR A BROKEN BROWSER, DO NOT UPDATE
Lemme spell it out.
OP has a NEW 3DS, which is the first step.
OP is at 2.1 downgrading for a9lh.
OP has no browser.
OP should NOT update!

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2s69fpphVU