Bricked N3DS - do I have the right files?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by curlyburl, Apr 21, 2017.

1. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    About a year ago when I was less experienced with these things, I missed a step in Plailect's guide while installing arm9loaderhax and bricked my N3DS. I tried troubleshooting and ended up giving up for the time being. I've decided to look into it again, and from what I can tell, I have no option but to hard mod. The N3DS turns on, but doesn't load anything - just two black screens (albeit with the backlight on), and I can't boot recovery either. I do, however, have several NAND backups as advised by the guide at the time. Does it seem like I have what I need?

[​IMG]

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    What did you do to brick the system?

3. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    Because it's been quite a while I'm not 110% certain, but I think at some point near the end of the process I was meant to boot into emuNAND when running / installing an update of some form but missed this and did it while in sysNAND.

4. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    But it wasn't caused by closing the system in 2.1 was it? Because otherwise, a hardmod will be able to restore those NANDs and you will be fine.

5. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    I certainly don't think so, I know I messed up by not switching over to emuNAND first, but closing the lid while doing of any of this was definitely something I was avoiding.

6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Then you should be good to go with a hardmod

curlyburl likes this.
  7. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    Okay, thank you very much! I was just worried that I didn't have the right files to be able to hardmod since Plailect's guide seems to have been completely overhauled since I last used it and those filenames don't seem to be in there anymore.

8. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    You should actually be able to flash the emuNAND over with the hardmod, then start the guide over again.

9. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    Well at least 1 of those is bound to be a working nand backup for a hardmod.