Hacking Bricked my Wii when trying to update Priiloader, any ideas?

Scried

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
TLDR: I had Priiloader 0.7 installed and wanted to update it to 0.9. I could not update it within Priiloader itself since I could not connect my Wii to the internet for some reason. I tried running the 0.9 installer (.dol), but the application would immediately terminate and I would get kicked back to the Homebrew Menu. So I decided I would just remove Priiloader 0.7 and re-install 0.9. I removed, Priiloader though the application itself and turned off the Wii in order to put the new files on the SD-card, but now the Wii won’t boot and all I get is a black screen. Any help?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, during lockdown, me and my housemates had been playing Mario Kart Wii with each other quite often. We played locally only, but then I remembered Wiimmfi and we wanted to play online. I updated USBloaderGX which was required, but all the trouble started when the harddrive would continuously not get recognized anymore. Worst of all is that the Wii is from one of my housemates and due to me, we bricked it.

My housemate hacked it himself years ago, but all he remembers is that he followed some guide he found online. All he had was the Homebrew channel, USBloaderGX and some emulators. I decided it would probably be best to go through the steps on https://wii.guide/ again and see if this would solve our problem, but his Wii was on 4.1 and the guide was written for 4.3. Moreover, I thought the most recent firmware would be required in order to play Mario Kart Wii online again, so we decided we first would want to update the Wii to 4.3

After receiving errors when I tried to update, I found out Priiloader 0.7 was installed and was blocking the system update installation. We disabled it and tried again. It got really weird here: the system would detect a newer version was available, but after it started downloading the update it would terminate and say it already had the most recent firmware installed?

So when we could not install the update the normal way around, I looked for a homebrew application which could do. At first we tried MultiModManager, but the application would crash or get stuck when downloading the update files, so we tried DOP-Mii, which worked better. It would still throw errors when downloading the files from NUS, but after multiple tries we got it working. I remember we had to back-up Priiloader before we wanted to update, which we did, and we installed it again after the 4.3 system update installation was complete.

The Wii worked fine after that, but for some reason the wi-Fi stopped working? When searching for SSIDs, we just could not find ours anymore, even when entering the details manually. This is when I wanted to update Priiloader as well and got the problem I described at the top.

The wi-fi issues led me to believe this was the issue, since I found out the Wii will not boot if the wi-fi module is not connected. I ordered a new one on AliExpress and replaced it, but I am still getting a black screen and I have no idea what to do now. I’ve tried getting into the recovery menu by pressing all 4 d-pad buttons on a gamecube controller in port 4, but nothing pop-ups and I’m out of ideas.

Now, I know I could just buy a new Wii, but at this point it is just a principle question for me. My housemate does not really care anymore that we bricked it as well, but I would just like to know if there is anything I could do to get it working again?

Scried

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Try saving the bootmii sd card files to your sd card. With some luck the wii has bootmii boot2 installed, and if sd:/bootmii is detected it will start bootmii

Get the files from modmii classic's download page 2. And next time, just use ModMii
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately this Wii could only install bootmii as an IOS, so I think I'm out of luck there. I have since tried if the GameCube controller worked on a different Wii and I could get into the recovery menu there, but I still have no luck on my housemate's Wii. The last thing I could think of is the bluetooth adapter, but I can still turn on the Wii via the remote so I really doubt that's the issue, or do you know of any other options I could try?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive