Hacking Bricked my New3DS after Arm9LoaderHax. How do I unbrick?

jringo718

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the guide on

https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

Step by step, very carefully. This isn't my first rodeo and have a good knowledge of CFWs from other systems. This was for a New3DS with 9.2.00.20U from launch (no downgrade or anything)

Anyway, right after the installed Arm9LoaderHax, I shut it off and then when I turned it back on, it was on a black screen. I tried every possible thing, including everything in the troubleshooting like the test payload, which also does nothing.

Without the SD it's still black. I've tried several SDs and nothing works. I can't get into Luma and I don't have any Luma config to delete.

What are my options here? Is hardmod the only recourse? I'm pretty pissed off. Gateway was fine for the past 2 years but it started having reading errors, so I decided I'd go with a CFW and now I'm sitting here with a brick.

jringo718

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean? Nothing about the OTP came up under the New3DS tutorial. It just said that you shouldn't use one from a different console and the rest of the stuff about it was under the Old 3DS.

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean? Nothing about the OTP came up under the New3DS tutorial. It just said that you shouldn't use one from a different console and the rest of the stuff about it was under the Old 3DS.

He's referring to the new install method for N3DS which doesn't require the OTP but has a random very low brick rate due to ARM9 memory corruption at time of install.

Sadly you are one of these very few instances when it fails. I commend you for making the decision to move away from brickway and my condolences for this unfortunate brick.

Hardmod it or pay someone to do it. Period.

Edit: Make sure you save that NAND backup.

Last edited by el_gonz87,

jringo718

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn I feel horrible. If I knew there was a safer way, I would have gone that route.I was just given the tutorial when I asked the easiest way to get on CFW since I had been out the game since early 2015. Wtf.

Also, I am unable to boot into recovery using L+R+A+Up, unless there's another way.

At this point, I don't even care if I lose the exploits, as long as I can just use it as a regular 3DS, even on the latest firmware. I have an Old 3DS and two Old 3DS XLs all with 9.2 and a sealed N3DS before anything above 9.xx came out. I also have tons of actual 3DS games I've never even played, so no biggie.

I just don't like the other 3DS and don't want to open a brand new N3DS.

Also would Nintendo fix it for the $89 out of warranty fee?

Exavold

eeh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The OTPless install is unreliable.
Why is it still in The Guide?
It is reliable though.

I believe theses bricks are occuring because parts of the SD card are corrupt.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Damn I feel horrible. If I knew there was a safer way, I would have gone that route.I was just given the tutorial when I asked the easiest way to get on CFW since I had been out the game since early 2015. Wtf.

Also, I am unable to boot into recovery using L+R+A+Up, unless there's another way.

At this point, I don't even care if I lose the exploits, as long as I can just use it as a regular 3DS, even on the latest firmware. I have an Old 3DS and two Old 3DS XLs all with 9.2 and a sealed N3DS before anything above 9.xx came out. I also have tons of actual 3DS games I've never even played, so no biggie.

Welp , I think it's done.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't repair that kind of stuff.

Did you make sure your SD card wasn't corrupted before installing A9LH ?

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The other method had a small brick rate as well, you could have bricked on the 2.1 downgrade.

You are just one of those unfortunate souls. I feel for you, but the guide strictly warns at the begginig there is a small risk.

Hopefully you get another chance to enjoy the paradise that A9LH brings someday... Until then just pay someone to hardmod it, it will be cheaper than $89.

Sorry boutcha!

Exavold

eeh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The other method had a small brick rate as well, you could have bricked on the 2.1 downgrade.

You are just one of those unfortunate souls. I feel for you, but the guide strictly warns at the begginig there is a small risk.

Hopefully you get another chance to enjoy the paradise that A9LH brings someday... Until then just pay someone to hardmod it, it will be cheaper than $89.

Sorry boutcha!
Actually , remember the fact that if you put your 2.1 N3DS in sleep mode , it bricks.

Yeah , "safer" :P

Last edited by Exavold,
Reactions: el_gonz87

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is the safest way.

Doubt it.

I believe theses bricks are occuring because parts of the SD card are corrupt.

Did you make sure your SD card wasn't corrupted before installing A9LH ?
That was fixed a long time ago.

Reactions: Exavold

jringo718

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why Nintendo can't fix it? I'm sure 3DS do get bricked during official updates, no? Let's says some kid accidently turned it off while updating?

Where can I get started on a trusted hardmod person I can send it to?

Personally, I bet I can hardmod it myself since I have experience soldering, BUT, with work and everything and the general anxiety that comes with it, I would just rather pay someone on here to do it for me. If I was still in high-school or college. I'd attempt it, buy I'm almost 26.

Also, I didn't check for corruption on the SD, because I had freshly formatted it using the tool in the guide, BUT, it was 4096k allocation instead of the 32 recommend in the guide (lowest for me was 512). Not sure if that contributed to this. Also, I was pretty stupid in assuming a freshly formatted SD would not have corruption.

Shit, I'm extremely mad. In my almost 20 years of doing risky stuff like this. I've never bricked anything.

Reactions: bomigoton

Exavold

eeh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't see why Nintendo can't fix it? I'm sure 3DS do get bricked during official updates, no? Let's says some kid accidently turned it off while updating?

Personally, I bet I can hardmod it myself since I have experience soldering, BUT, with work and everything and the general anxiety that comes with it, I would just rather pay someone on here to do it for me. If I was still in high-school or college. I'd attempt it, buy I'm almost 26.

Also, I didn't check for corruption on the SD, because I had freshly formatted it using the tool in the guide, BUT, it was 4096k allocation instead of the 32 recommend in the guide (lowest for me was 512). Not sure if that contributed to this. Also, I was pretty stupid in assuming a freshly formatted SD would not have corruption.

Shit, I'm extremely mad. In my almost 20 years of doing risky stuff like this. I've never bricked anything.
@vb_encryption_vb Is the pretty trust-worthy , if you want a hard-mod , just PM him.

Last edited by Exavold,
Reactions: el_gonz87

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are you positive that you have arm9loaderhax.bin in the root of your sd card? if so then you have encountered that low brick chance which sucks, hopefully you made a nand dump and can find someone to hardmod it for ya.

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As @Exavold posted hit up @vb_encryption_vb for a hard mod. His return time is second to none and he is very good at what he does. You won't be disappointed. Better luck next time!

BTW, what kinda risky stuff where you doing when u were 6 years old? LOL

Last edited by el_gonz87,
Reactions: XRaTiX

soulkyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't the brick chance occur when you're downgrading rather than installing A9LH? Or it can occur anytime during the process?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: Good morning!