Hacking Bricked my New3DS after Arm9LoaderHax. How do I unbrick?

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They probably could but your console will either get banned definitely or they will refuse to fix it.

Nah they will just flash a new NAND on 11.2 and call it good, don't have time to deal with shiz like that. But why pay $89 for that when you can get a hacked console for less than that via a hardmode9.

Reactions: Exavold

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Doesn't the brick chance occur when you're downgrading rather than installing A9LH? Or it can occur anytime during the process?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Downgrading is near impossible to brick considering that it uses hash checks on the .cia files to make sure they match your console/region or if you're doing the ctrnand method i'm pretty sure that's just as safe as well. the brick chance is random and aurora updated it to use something else other than arm9 to write some files during the OTPless install which was supposed to make it more reliable, but i guess it's something else that is causing it.

Last edited by Toni456,
Reactions: soulkyo

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Doesn't the brick chance occur when you're downgrading rather than installing A9LH? Or it can occur anytime during the process?

OTPless method can occur another kind of brick. Which is very rare case. While downgrading brick has a higher chance, especially 2.1 FW on N3DS.

soulkyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OTPless method can occur another kind of brick. Which is very rare case. While downgrading brick has a higher chance, especially 2.1 FW on N3DS.
Yeah, in the past the only brick risk was to close the n3ds when on 2.1, something that depended entirely in you. Now the brick is something that is totally random. Scary.

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"hardmode9" lmao.

Haha sorry I'm a lil drunk, this is what my 9AM looks like:
image.jpg

#businesstrip

And yes I know GBATemp this is not ####ing twitter

Reactions: Exavold

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yeah, in the past the only brick risk was to close the n3ds when on 2.1, something that depended entirely in you. Now the brick is something that is totally random. Scary.
Not at all, messing with system files always has a chance resulting in a brick. CTRnand mess around too many files. That's why I think the guide keep telling people to use OTPless.
Haha sorry I'm a lil drunk, this is what my 9AM looks like:
#businesstrip
And yes I know GBATemp this is not ####ing twitter
Guy, don't drink too much. :D

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I didn't check for corruption on the SD, because I had freshly formatted it using the tool in the guide, BUT, it was 4096k allocation instead of the 32 recommend in the guide (lowest for me was 512). Not sure if that contributed to this. Also, I was pretty stupid in assuming a freshly formatted SD would not have corruption.
You're confusing bytes with kilobytes. 4096 bytes is 4kb. 512b is 1/2 kb, and is the lowest a drive can store. 32kb is 32768 bytes.

trinhno

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Yes, OTPless method still does brick system, not due to user's fault at all (please stop blaming the users). Aurora acknowledges it but still can't totally fix it as she can't reproduce it on her system.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-me-with-safea9lhinstaller-and-otpless.447766/ You can try helping her if it's possible.

The problem is that is happens randomly while 2.1 CTRNand transfer bricks happen because of definite causes that we know. I'd still prefer doing that rather the new OTPless since I know the dont's, which I can't prevent with the OTPless method.

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted-19228

He's referring to the new install method for N3DS which doesn't require the OTP but has a random very low brick rate due to ARM9 memory corruption at time of install.

Sadly you are one of these very few instances when it fails. I commend you for making the decision to move away from brickway and my condolences for this unfortunate brick.

Hardmod it or pay someone to do it. Period.

Edit: Make sure you save that NAND backup.

>move away from brickway
>gets bricked anyway

#seemslegit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, OTPless method still does brick system, not due to user's fault at all (please stop blaming the users). Aurora acknowledges it but still can't totally fix it as she can't reproduce it on her system.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-me-with-safea9lhinstaller-and-otpless.447766/ You can try helping her if it's possible.

The problem is that is happens randomly while 2.1 CTRNand transfer bricks happen because of definite causes that we know. I'd still prefer doing that rather the new OTPless since I know the dont's, which I can't prevent with the OTPless method.

If it has been confirmed causing bricks why not bring back the method to downgrade back to 2.1 to get the OTP information? It's only one extra step anyway.

Reactions: TechyTurtle

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>move away from brickway
>gets bricked anyway

#seemslegit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If it has been confirmed causing bricks why not bring back the method to downgrade back to 2.1 to get the OTP information? It's only one extra step anyway.

The method of downgrading to 2.1 cause bricks as well.

Auroras method could cause 20% more bricks and it will still be better than #BRICKway. Full stop.

D

Deleted-19228

The method of downgrading to 2.1 cause bricks as well.

Auroras method could cause 20% more bricks and it will still be better than #BRICKway. Full stop.

That's debatable. I personally haven't seen as many reports of bricked 3ds's with gateway as I have with the OTPless method.

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's debatable. I personally haven't seen as many reports of bricked 3ds's with gateway as I have with the OTPless method.

Well at least we know Aurora isn't trying to intentionally brick people like brickway... So there's that.

Worst business practice I've seen in years.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So umm the guide troubleshooter has a test payload to see if there is a issue with the arm9loader, did you try it? what was the result?

Try this test payload .
  1. Rename /arm9loaderhax.bin, if it exists, to something else.
  2. Place the arm9loaderhax.bin from the archive linked above in your SD root.
  3. Insert your SD card into your 3DS and power on.
  4. Press (A). Your 3DS should power off; this means arm9loaderhax is working and something else is broken; your device is notbricked.

D

Deleted-19228

Reactions: el_gonz87

jringo718

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha, what a bad luck of a damn day. Jeez.

So I just wanted to play some Moon, which was my original intent here. I had started on N3DS XL, but kept getting GW card removed errors.

So I figured I'd get a CFW.

My N3DS XL bricked as I mentioned in this topic. Tried the test payload as well.

So I decided to play on my O3DS regular. Wouldn't run, so I decided to update emunand. Did it from the settings and everything. Double checked I was on 9.2 Emunand.

Well, it updated the sysnand somehow. It took literally a second to update and now I'm strangely on 11.0 and not 11.2..

So I figured I'd give it one more try with an O3DS XL. Got down to the 2.10 downgrade and now the github link won't load arm11.bin no matter what I troubleshoot. It says it's loading then freezes. Tried clearing everything, different SDs, redoing all the files, pressing select, checking the SD for the OPT, etc.

So I'm extremely exhausted now. Even though I had Moon preordered, I still wanted to play and was really enjoying the hour or so I played.

All I have left is another O3DS XL with a half broken nub and a brand new sealed 9.2 or below N3DSXL.

I also just saw that the N3DS regular will be $100 on Black Friday, so I'll definitely be picking it up since I always hated the XLs. Doubt it can be downgraded but at the end of the day, I don't even play the 3DS really. I have physical copies of OR, FEA and FEF which I've been trying to play for the better part of two years and I beat the rest I wanted to play. Part of the reason I didn't play it is because I hate the XLs lol.

Also, I wanted to send the N3DS to Nintendo because it would be covered under my credit card's extended warranty. I pay the $89, and then my CC would reimburse me. I also don't care about getting banned. I just wanted my N3DS XL working again.

Anyway, sorry for the blog. Just wanted to get it off my chest.

Lol...Literally just updated it to attempt to fix brick issues: https://github.com/AuroraWright/SafeA9LHInstaller/releases

0_0

Last edited by jringo718,
Reactions: el_gonz87

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn McDonald's ice cream machine broken